Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
The players are leroy43, oeolycus, arubiero, subdad.

The powers were randomly assigned.

Coalition - arubiero
The Govt. - oeolycus
Taliban - leroy43 (figures)
Warlords - flynavy

Good luck and thanks for playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
And my inexperience with this particular game is already showing...

Which scenario should we play? I'm assuming we will play without the No Reveal, Alternative Eligibility, and Deception options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I´ve never tried any additional rule myself. I do not like No Reveal and Alternative Elegibility. About Deception, there is a faction of people who despises the lack of fog of war in the series, and this rule adds a little.

As for the scenario, i´ve never tried the long one online. Most of the time I use the main scenario. The short is too railroaded, imho. In my experience, each prop round adds about 20 days of online play, so choose the one you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've setup a new game (not too short, not too long, but juuuuust right) in the DB folder. Warlords are up first.

To aid each other and anyone following this PBF, I propose a format for posting our moves here. Label your power, your action selection, and a brief description of how that changed the board status. I've bolded the "required" elements below and italicized additional things you could do to clarify for the audience.

Quote:
Warlords

Coup (#71)
1st Eligible

Event > Rally in Kabul (1G)

Gov. next!

Roger and I had success in the last game labeling our VASSAL files by number and then by the power playing and the upcoming power, e.g. 002 War [Tal] would mean the Warlords just moved and the Taliban are up next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tokarz
United States
Jacksonville
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlords

Coup (#71)
1st Elegible

Op and Special Activity > Rally in Helmand (1G), Oruzgan (1G), Ghazni (1G), Paktika (1G), Nuristan (1G) and Konduz (3G) : Cultivate in Konduz.

Govt. Next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Coup is one of those cards that looks like a game-changer. I'm not sure if it's coming up this early is good or bad for me since I haven't had much experience with the game.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
Coup is one of those cards that looks like a game-changer. I'm not sure if it's coming up this early is good or bad for me since I haven't had much experience with the game.

What do you guys think?

No idea. But... the cards are the cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You the govt Dan? I do not think of it as a game changer since there are no such things on the COIN system but it is a curious event since it depends on the board positions to see who benefits the most from it. Currently i would say it is beneficial to the govt since you can block the Taliban rally in the rich northern provinces, it gives support to perform Govern ops later and the troop toll is not very harsh since there are so few cubes on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Govt

Coup (#71)
2nd Eligible

Event > lots of stuff happened, but I moved three northern provinces towards support. You'll probably want to double check me.

Next two cards Car Bombs (#31) and Accidental Guerrillas (#34).

So, right now Taliban is up; Coalition on deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taliban now have car bombs. I inaccurately stated War was next, but of course they're ineligible...

Hey, Rob, what do you want to trigger the next Taliban event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Warlords are up, and i am sure they will enjoy much more coalition´s protection than its wrath. Time for a beautiful traffic op imho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tokarz
United States
Jacksonville
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first game, so I may definitely be wrong, but I don't think the Coalition can reach Helmand from Kabul to perform the sweep. I think the town interrupts the move. What do the rest of you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
flynavy wrote:
This is my first game, so I may definitely be wrong, but I don't think the Coalition can reach Helmand from Kabul to perform the sweep. I think the town interrupts the move. What do the rest of you think?

The towns are cosmetic. Sweep works moving troops across a chain of loc´s or kabul and then into the space selected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tokarz
United States
Jacksonville
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arubiero wrote:
flynavy wrote:

The towns are cosmetic. Sweep works moving troops across a chain of loc´s or kabul and then into the space selected.

I have to disagree with you. Towns are not cosmetic, they show adjacency to other LOCs or provinces. (p. 3)

The procedure for Sweep states: "each group of Troops may first move onto an adjacent LOC that is free of Sabotage and then into an adjacent space." (p.6-7)

And a space is defined as an LOC, city or province. So if a troop leaves Kabul on the 1 LOC south of Kabul he can sweep into Khowst, Paktika, Zabol, Kandahar, Oruzgan, Ghazni or the 1 LOC beyond the town.

To be honest, I really don't care. I'm just trying to understand the rules. The main reason I question is that the procedures for Patrol and Transport specifically say you can keep moving along adjacent LOCs, but that is not said for the Sweep.

If no one else has an opinion, I'll just keep going. As I said, it doesn't affect me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
flynavy wrote:
arubiero wrote:
flynavy wrote:

I have to disagree with you. Towns are not cosmetic, they show adjacency to other LOCs or provinces. (p. 3)

The procedure for Sweep states: "each group of Troops may first move onto an adjacent LOC that is free of Sabotage and then into an adjacent space." (p.6-7)

And a space is defined as an LOC, city or province. So if a troop leaves Kabul on the 1 LOC south of Kabul he can sweep into Khowst, Paktika, Zabol, Kandahar, Oruzgan, Ghazni or the 1 LOC beyond the town.

To be honest, I really don't care. I'm just trying to understand the rules. The main reason I question is that the procedures for Patrol and Transport specifically say you can keep moving along adjacent LOCs, but that is not said for the Sweep.

If no one else has an opinion, I'll just keep going. As I said, it doesn't affect me.

lol, YOU ARE RIGHT SIR. I misread this rule a year ago and i´ve been playing it incorrectly since then. This is embarrasing. My log file is corrected and up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tokarz
United States
Jacksonville
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlords

Accidental Guerillas (#34)
1st eligible

Op only > Rally in Herat (1G), Kandahar (1G), Khowst (1G), Balkh (2G) and Faryab (1G)

Let chaos rule with no one getting more capabilities arrrh

Govt. is next
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Govt. passes.

I didn't add a file, but Taliban is up next. Would you mind making that file for me, Roger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All done. Gov is up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Govt.

I took the lim op and rallied in Kabul (2T, 4P).

Next card is Desertions and Defection #61. Taliban is 1st eligible. Warlords are 1st eligible. Coalition is on deck.

Prop card is next card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the coalition up now? I went last card so am currently intelligible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My bad! Warlords are up. Coalition on deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tokarz
United States
Jacksonville
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlords rallied to place a base in Kandahar, Faryab and Balkh. Performed traffic special op to gain 11 resources, also provided 2 resources to the Taliban.

Continued rally in Nuristan, Helmand and Khowst.

Coalition is next followed by our first propaganda card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To govt for civic actions in kabul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think Coalition goes first for civic actions--are you saying that you don't want to do any?

And strategically, why would Govt use civic actions? What does support get me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coalition goes first but the one with most troops on the space decides how many Civic Actions are performed, so i can choose Kabul and you can say 0 resources, so i have no word on the issue and you can do as you please. This rule stands in case there are many spaces in which the one with more troops shifts between coalition and govt.

What is support good for the govt?

First of all, support in non pashtun spaces can block taliban rally and can activate marching guerrillas in case there are enough cubes on the space(3). This can be interesting for the govt in certain scenarios and it is also true for the warlords.

Second, and most important, support allows the Govt to Govern in the spot, which is the main mechanism to gain patronage, and patronage are solid points since it is quite difficult to get rid of it. Also you can govern by adding more populace to the space, which is also very nice, since it allows to drain patronage faster on later turns, only it helps the coalition a lot. Lot of pros and cons on the govern actions, but you have to rely on then, as they are the biggest govt strategic asset, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.