Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the opportunity to play Dominion in a while, and am yet to acquire the last three expansions, so my knowledge of the details of the game is incomplete.

Now that Dominion has been fully released, how many different setups are there (including promos and Prosperity-like Platinum/Colony alternative setups)?

I understand from this thread that there are 205 cards and thus the basic selection rule gives around 29 quadrillion combinations, but there are additional wrinkles with the Black Market deck, Platinum/Colony, and perhaps more (Shelters in Dark Ages?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
I haven't had the opportunity to play Dominion in a while, and am yet to acquire the last three expansions, so my knowledge of the details of the game is incomplete.

Now that Dominion has been fully released, how many different setups are there (including promos and Prosperity-like Platinum/Colony alternative setups)?

I understand from this thread that there are 205 cards and thus the basic selection rule gives around 29 quadrillion combinations, but there are additional wrinkles with the Black Market deck, Platinum/Colony, and perhaps more (Shelters in Dark Ages?).

It really depends on what you count. With allowances for Platinum/Colony and the Bane pile, there are about 175 quadrillion different setups. Donald has said that there will probably be a promo this year, so if you include that, you get 183 quadrillion or 185 quadrillion, depending on how much it costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
I estimate that it is approximately many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanldoughty wrote:
I estimate that it is approximately many.

Thank you for your contribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Infinite (it's not like you could ever play them all in a human's life-time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Infinite (it's not like you could ever play them all in a human's life-time).

I think its more than everyone could ever play if we all worked together.

206 choose 10 = 3.037709e+16 (~30 quadrillion)

There's about 7billion people on the planet. So that's about 4285714 games to play per person...

but wait, it's not a solitaire game (i know, i know)

So let's do 2 player games (even though 3 players are much better) and we need each person to play 8571428 games.

Now if each game went about 30 minutes...

It would take 257142857 minutes
or
4285714 hours
or
178571 days
or
489 years

PER PERSON

So we've got to learn to live a lot longer, go without sleep, go without eating(can't get food on the cards!), and do a much bigger print run of Dominion than the last ones.

get cracking! This game needs more play testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
padlock

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
Base dominion alone (wihtout any expansions) has over 3 million possible setups and would take a person playing non-stop 30 minute games over 185 years to complete.

I guess there really isn't any need to buy the expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.