Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

I'm very interested in checking this game out, especially the more recent editions... but there's very little info on it out there! I couldn't find a video preview anywhere, not even on the official site. Any info or images/videos/first hand experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

M_Strauss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is plenty of information about strat-o-matic on the web. The games have a long history that predates BGG. They are typically followed and played more by sports geeks than by game geeks.

I have strat-o-matic basketball rated a 9 here on BGG. It is not only an outstanding NBA basketball simulation it is also a great game. In the language that didn't exist when it came out but is used to describe great games now it has lots of "meaningful decisions." In the advanced game, which is the place to start actually, players are rated on so many dimensions that you really feel like a coach balancing (for example) someone's ability to shoot open shots against there struggles on interior defence. Even computer games don't give you as much involvement in the game.

The only reason I have the game rated 9 and not 10 is that it is somewhat complex and does have a learning curve. Two very experienced players can play one game in about 45 minutes, maybe less. Two new players will take twice that or more.

I love the game and wish I still had opponents to play regularly as I did in the 80s and 90s. Ahhh, those were the days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.