Cloaked Mines-3

Reliant-20
Styles-2
Transwarp-3
Kyle-2
Lojur-2
Photons-3

Command bar-5

Total 110, Admiral's orders will be allowed and I will be bringing United Force.

The idea is to use the Reliant to get to the station on turn 1 and drop off people as necessary and then use the Praetus and drop mines in the station blind spot to force the enemy to fly into mines or the station arc. I have used this strategy at another op6 event and it has worked well. There is a good chance that my opponents at this event will have plenty of cloaked ships.

I've been considering implementing Data but I'm not sure how his ability truly works. It would seem that once I trigger his ability against ships that have been fully cloaked, I still can not target lock those ships? If those enemy ships were intending to fire anyway does his ability go to waste? I'm considering replacing Styles and Transwarp with Data and Disobey orders so I can have a more practical benefit of the Reliant however this will cause me to reach the station 1 turn later.

Do you guys think this is worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where would you put the cloaked mines? What is to stop someone else from blowing up your DS9 on round 2?

Engage costs you an auxiliary power... not worth it.

You don't have enough firepower on your ships to go against cloaked ships... just my thoughts.

dragonwalker wrote:
Alright so my current build is:

Enterprise D-28
Picard-6
Engage-3
Scotty-5
Spock-5

Praetus-14
Mirok-2
Additional Weapons Array-4
Interphase Generator-3
Cloaked Mines-3

Reliant-20
Styles-2
Transwarp-3
Kyle-2
Lojur-2
Photons-3

Command bar-5

Total 110, Admiral's orders will be allowed and I will be bringing United Force.

The idea is to use the Reliant to get to the station on turn 1 and drop off people as necessary and then use the Praetus and drop mines in the station blind spot to force the enemy to fly into mines or the station arc. I have used this strategy at another op6 event and it has worked well. There is a good chance that my opponents at this event will have plenty of cloaked ships.

I've been considering implementing Data but I'm not sure how his ability truly works. It would seem that once I trigger his ability against ships that have been fully cloaked, I still can not target lock those ships? If those enemy ships were intending to fire anyway does his ability go to waste? I'm considering replacing Styles and Transwarp with Data and Disobey orders so I can have a more practical benefit of the Reliant however this will cause me to reach the station 1 turn later.

Do you guys think this is worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Data is best run in a triangle formation with him on a lead ship (a Miranda is excellent for this). Your other ships then follow behind to engage the enemy the turn after Data has done his thing.

Data's ship:

USS Reliant
Data
Corbomite Maneuver
Antimatter Mines
Janice Rand
Miles O'Brien

Ship Cost 36

This leaves 64 points to tool up some good attack ships. (Given that you don't want these moving forward quickly the Attack Fighters might be a possibility as well).

How to Use:

Move up with Data in front of the enemy's ships leaving your other ships out of range.

Discard Janice Rand to play Corbomite Maneuver as a free action. You can now take Data's Action and disable Miles and the Mines to force the enemy to uncloak at the end of the turn.

This can be done with impunity as none of the enemy can attack you due to the corbomite maneuver.

Next turn you fly Data's ship through the enemy formation and re-enable the Anti-matter mines so you can drop them on the enemy.

Your other ships fly into attack range and Target Lock the Enemy Ships that are either uncloaked or have cloaked this turn.

Alternatively you can use Torpedoes instead of Antimatter mines on Data's ship and take a target lock after you fly through the enemy formation. Keeping it for a later attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonwalker wrote:
Alright so my current build is:

Reliant-20
Styles-2
Transwarp-3
Kyle-2
Lojur-2
Photons-3

The idea is to use the Reliant to get to the station on turn 1 and drop off people as necessary...

How are you getting to range two of the station on turn 1 with Transwarp? I just measured again, and flying directly at the station you end up just shy of range 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Y
msg tools
My measurements indicate that with speed 6 you can get within range 2. Are you using range 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonwalker wrote:
My measurements indicate that with speed 6 you can get within range 2. Are you using range 6?

Well, turns out you're right - so long as you remember to measure with the official 12"x4" starting area, and not the approx 3x1 range ruler starting area. That extra 1/4" is just enough to get you from 'just shy' to '1/4" within range 2'!

This may modify my OP6 plans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Langland
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
BruinGirl wrote:
Where would you put the cloaked mines? What is to stop someone else from blowing up your DS9 on round 2?

Engage costs you an auxiliary power... not worth it.

Totally disagree on Engage as not worth it - since Picard can use that action after his others, he still gets the benefit of actions, plus an additional movement after others have moved. The Ent-D has good green maneuvers, so its a perfect platform for Engage. This is particularly awesome when linked with the 360 firing ability of Ent-D, since you can go to battle stations or target lock, then Engage out of the other ship's firing arc. Engage makes the Ent-D a nimble, crafty opponent with Picard.

One guy in my OP6 a few weeks ago used cloaked mines to cover the center area out of the arc of the two main pylons on DS9. This would have worked great, except that I brought a Jem'Hadar battleship with flagship and one-shotted DS9. But if you're going to drop off one low-level crewman onto DS9, it's still totally worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Langland
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
And also - GO BRUINS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't these mines ATTACK and not ACTION? That makes it harder for Data to drop them on enemy ships. Any good player seeing this coming will move so Data can't drop them on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, beware of your opponent just killing DS9. What I've done in my OP6 games is when I realize an opponent is rushing DS9 I approach the station and destroy it in a single turn or two before it can fire back and before I engage the rest of my opponent's fleet. It's really not hard for any 100pt fleet to muster the damage needed to kill the defenseless DS9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.