Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another 4-player game. This was game 2 of the same people.

Instead of 6.5 hours, it only took around 4. We think we can get it down more, but it was far faster (relatively).

Some new questions in our 4 player game:

1) Near the end of the game, Ashley has no more discs at her disposal. She attacks Lauren (b/c Ashley thinks Lauren is winning) and take her starting hex (3 VP). Bad news, Ashley has no more discs so is it accurate that she can NOT influence it? We're assuming this is AFTER combat, and Ashley has the Neutron Bomb. All population cubes are returned to Lauren, and then what?

Also - if this is the LAST ROUND, is it correct that Ashley would NOT get Lauren's 3 VP for the tile? If this IS true, Ashley would be better off NOT to attack Lauren's starting hex UNLESS Ash felt she was in 2nd place behind Lauren. The ONLY gain Ash would have is less points for Lauren, NOT more points for her. Is this accurate? I'm trying to find out what motivation Ash would have for attacking Lauren's hex if she gets no VP's (besides battle VP draws) b/c she has no more discs on her board.

2) 4 battles take place. Two fights between Joel and Ancients occur on #3 hexes, and the other two battles with other players are closer in.

I assume after EACH SEPARATE battle, victory tiles are resolved. That means, Joel takes his tiles FIRST, and everyone else picks in descending battle order. Is this correct?

3) Last round, it only makes sense to colonize MARKET planets, correct?

4) Alex and Ashley are both next to an non-influenced hex (after Joel used influence to remove his disc). Is it correct that as long as Ash OR Alex have a direct wormhole connection to the now empty hex, either can use the Influence action and claim this hex uncontested?

There might be more questions coming - still playing and reading the rules.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karel Stastny
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
1) Near the end of the game, Ashley has no more discs at her disposal. She attacks Lauren (b/c Ashley thinks Lauren is winning) and take her starting hex (3 VP). Bad news, Ashley has no more discs so is it accurate that she can NOT influence it? We're assuming this is AFTER combat, and Ashley has the Neutron Bomb. All population cubes are returned to Lauren, and then what?

Yes, that is correct, Ashley can't influence Lauren's home sector. Therefore, she does not get the 3 VPs for occupying it at the end of the game. But neither does Lauren so it makes sense to attack here if she's winning.

elmsley4 wrote:
2) 4 battles take place. Two fights between Joel and Ancients occur on #3 hexes, and the other two battles with other players are closer in.

I assume after EACH SEPARATE battle, victory tiles are resolved. That means, Joel takes his tiles FIRST, and everyone else picks in descending battle order. Is this correct?

Exactly, each battle is resolved separately and the victory tiles are drawn immediately after battle ends. If there are more players involved in battle, the defender draws first.

elmsley4 wrote:

By market you mean the ones that produce money? I think that even production and science planets are worth it because total amount of resources is a tiebreaker.

elmsley4 wrote:
4) Alex and Ashley are both next to an non-influenced hex (after Joel used influence to remove his disc). Is it correct that as long as Ash OR Alex have a direct wormhole connection to the now empty hex, either can use the Influence action and claim this hex uncontested?

Yes, assuming there are no enemy ships on that hex. If Joel left some of the ships on the hex, neither Alex nor Ashley could influence it.

I think you have the rules covered very well :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:

You only draw once per hex in the case where multiple battles take place in the same hex on the same turn (ex. Ancients and 2 players in the same hex)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

It was a strange game. I was completely blocked off. Alex blocked me from the center, and each successive tile I explored, I played it so on I could get to it.

End of the game, the only way anyone could come in my hex is if they had the "1/2 wormhole technology". I explored, conquered some aliens and I came in 2nd place!

My advantage was of the 4 alien battles, I drew (luckily) three "4" tiles and one "1" tile, giving me 13 VP. I didn't need a few of the other alien artifacts so I took the other VP can had 31 pts at the end. The winner had 32! If I had ONE monolith, I would have won.

So... while other players thought they were DAMAGING me by blocking me off to myself, maybe they were actually HELPING me by letting me "do my thing". Is this a reasonable assumption?

Note: I'm inclined to feel this is right! I will certainly still "play the victim" with the appropriate groans of dismay when I get blocked off from other players next turn! I just need those monoliths!

Cheers, and thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
Another 4-player game. This was game 2 of the same people.

Instead of 6.5 hours, it only took around 4. We think we can get it down more, but it was far faster (relatively).

Some new questions in our 4 player game:

You cannot place your own Influence Disc since you don't have any. Its too bad, but its not allowed to move a Disc from one of your (worse) systems onto this system.

elmsley4 wrote:
Also - if this is the LAST ROUND, is it correct that Ashley would NOT get Lauren's 3 VP for the tile? If this IS true, Ashley would be better off NOT to attack Lauren's starting hex UNLESS Ash felt she was in 2nd place behind Lauren. The ONLY gain Ash would have is less points for Lauren, NOT more points for her. Is this accurate? I'm trying to find out what motivation Ash would have for attacking Lauren's hex if she gets no VP's (besides battle VP draws) b/c she has no more discs on her board.

No VP's for Ashley but also not for Lauren, as Lauren's Influence Disc is removed after the battle.

elmsley4 wrote:

Correct. However, if there are three-way (or more way) battles in a single System, this is considered ONE battle for drawing Victory Tiles.

elmsley4 wrote:

Correct. The Economy/Money/Market planets are the only ones which can actually help you this turn. Material/Mining and Science/Research planets only deliver stuff that can be used next turn.

elmsley4 wrote:

As long as the system is uncontested AND you have a ship and/or Influence Disc in the system/adjacent system you can use an Influence Action to place an Influence Disc in the unclaimed system. You however cannot Influence if you don't have either a system OR a ship.

elmsley4 wrote:
There might be more questions coming - still playing and reading the rules.

Thanks!

Keep the questions coming. Eclipse is a great game but I can imagine that not everything is clear the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
Thanks guys!

It was a strange game. I was completely blocked off. Alex blocked me from the center, and each successive tile I explored, I played it so on I could get to it.

End of the game, the only way anyone could come in my hex is if they had the "1/2 wormhole technology". I explored, conquered some aliens and I came in 2nd place!

Congratulations. Did you like the game?

elmsley4 wrote:
My advantage was of the 4 alien battles, I drew (luckily) three "4" tiles and one "1" tile, giving me 13 VP. I didn't need a few of the other alien artifacts so I took the other VP can had 31 pts at the end. The winner had 32! If I had ONE monolith, I would have won.

Or taking that one system at the end can make the difference (even if you cannot claim the system yourself, removing the enemy's Influence Disc can be worth it).

elmsley4 wrote:
So... while other players thought they were DAMAGING me by blocking me off to myself, maybe they were actually HELPING me by letting me "do my thing". Is this a reasonable assumption?

Blocking some in (either by doing it yourself OR by other players doing it) has advantages (easy to defend) and disadvantages (hard to attack). The Wormhole Generator is a great technology if the board has been setup in a "defensive" way. In a very open board, the Workhole Technology is much less impressive.

elmsley4 wrote:
Note: I'm inclined to feel this is right! I will certainly still "play the victim" with the appropriate groans of dismay when I get blocked off from other players next turn! I just need those monoliths!

Cheers, and thanks for the help!

Well, Monoliths are good but very expensive. Those materials could also be spent on ships and Monoliths tend to paint a "Bullseye" on your forehead. It makes the systems they are located in prime targets for other players. The player with the Influence Disc gets to claim the VP bonus for the Monoliths which is not perse the player who BUILT them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do enjoy the game!

It's very good and nicely balanced. I usually don't like games with a "luck" factor; however, the face that there's some luck (tiles that come up and VP draws, etc...) prevent severe A.P. that occurs in some games where you can calculate EVERYTHING, and I prefer this system.

I have to admit, I have Martin Wallace's Steam on my table that I'm itching to play that. I don't know which one will win out (not that one has to), but that's the fun of the hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan P
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:

This is a legitimate strategy. I've seen a player do this intentionally then secure the wormhole generator technology. They were able to move all of their forces out, leaving their influenced areas completely undefended (but inaccessible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is a legitimate strategy. I've seen a player do this intentionally then secure the wormhole generator technology. They were able to move all of their forces out, leaving their influenced areas completely undefended (but inaccessible).

Its legitimate but risky; there is no way to be sure that you can secure the Wormhole Generator technology unless it drops very early. And your offensive power will be much reduced if you don't manage to get a hold of one (even worse would be if your neighbour secures the Wormhole Generator).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
Near the end of the game, Ashley has no more discs at her disposal. She attacks Lauren (b/c Ashley thinks Lauren is winning) and take her starting hex (3 VP). Bad news, Ashley has no more discs so is it accurate that she can NOT influence it? We're assuming this is AFTER combat, and Ashley has the Neutron Bomb. All population cubes are returned to Lauren, and then what?

Battle VP draws can be a good motivation in itself. I can also imagine a situation where you have one disk left, but start three battles, in the hope that at least one of them succeeds. Last, perhaps Ashley had planned to first pick a battle, then use the influence action to liberate a disk, but she ran out of actions before she could do the latter.
Edit: and a fourth situation; perhaps Ashley was beleaguered in a higher numbered hex. If she had lost that one, she would have gotten a disk to occupy Lauren's home sector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
Edit: and a fourth situation; perhaps Ashley was beleaguered in a higher numbered hex. If she had lost that one, she would have gotten a disk to occupy Lauren's home sector.

Heck, it wouldn't have even mattered it it was a higher numbered hex, it could have been any hex where she lost a battle since the Influencing Hexes step takes place after all Attacking Population has been completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm.... intentionally losing to have an extra disc is an interesting idea. I can see how that can make sense good food for thought. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
Hmmmm.... intentionally losing to have an extra disc is an interesting idea. I can see how that can make sense good food for thought. Thanks!

If you're referring to my post, I was not suggesting that you intentionally lose a fight to get a disk, but rather that, if you see that you are going to lose control of a sector, that you try to conquer another one so that you can place the disk of the lost sector and gain VP.

If you can gain another player's home sector, though, and you would have no disks left, it would make sense to intentionally lose a fight in another sector worth fewer VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Setälä
msg tools
elmsley4 wrote:

This is the one that has me confused. I am assuming this is also in relation to the LAST ROUND, AFTER COMBAT PHASE.

AFAIK, and as I have played it, the "free"* incluencing of sectors after combat phase only applied to uncontested sectors which only you have a ship in. Not adjacent sectors. Adjacent sectors need to be influenced during the action phase, which there will not be one, since it is the last round, after combat phase.

Pls clarify if you rules masters know better.

*by "free" I mean that after combat phase you can just slap your influence disc on there instead of the normal action phase influencing where you first need to pay a disc to select INF and then another disc for the sector you are taking control of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karel Stastny
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m4sked4venger wrote:
elmsley4 wrote:

This is the one that has me confused. I am assuming this is also in relation to the LAST ROUND, AFTER COMBAT PHASE.

The question is not related to the last round after combat phase, that's why you are probably confused.

You are perfectly correct that you can only influence sectors for "free" if you have a ship in them after combat phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.