Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/15/showbiz/david-brenner-dies/ind...

Damn, I'm feeling old! I can't believe he was 78!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
From an article:

Even in death, he kept the jokes coming. Brenner's final request, according to family spokesman Jeff Abraham, was to have $100 in small bills tucked in his sock -- "just in case tipping is recommended where I'm going."

His gravesite will read: "If this is supposed to be a joke -- then I don't get it!," according to Abraham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
A fabulous talent. He will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The aspect of this particular clip that I think is so great is David's timing. I think timing is everything in comedy, and how Brenner uses pacing to set up the laughs is top shelf. A real pro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He never seemed to age to me. 78 is a long life, but perhaps a little to early these days. I was sorry to hear he passed away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
David Brenner was one of the first comics I ever saw who got big laughs BEFORE getting to the punchline. The way he rolled his eyes after mentioning some inanity he encountered would have me on the floor every time.

R.I.P., Mr. Brenner. Thanks for all the laughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
It's sad of his passing, but I never thought David Brenner was all that funny. I know he pre-dated Seinfield in doing his observational humor shtick, and he is important in the comedy world, but he never tickled my funny bone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And not to forget he was a guest host on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson from time to time.

I think I'll jump on a bus with a bundle of brooms over my shoulder as a personal memoriam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
It's sad of his passing, but I never thought David Brenner was all that funny. I know he pre-dated Seinfield in doing his observational humor shtick, and he is important in the comedy world, but he never tickled my funny bone.

He had some really funny routines but you're right for the most part. While I could really appreciate his craft (and definitely his timing) his material always felt a little dated. I think it's notable that he helped and encouraged so many up coming comedians and that so many of them emulated his stage persona.

Even with many of the current rising stars like John Mulaney or Hannibal Burress, you can still hear Brenner's pacing in their delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.