Subject: HELP: Cloaked Mines Strategy and Fighter Resource? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, what is the better fighter to fly: the slow, but more maneuverable Fed fighters or the heavy, faster Hideki?

2nd: if I fly Romulan, what is the minimum number of cloaked mines I should take to make it effective for Op 6? I was thinking at least 3... unless you think 2 is enough? But where would it be place best- in the middle or sides?

3rd: If I fly Klingon, what is the best way to AVOID these same cloaked mines? I need help on this final question the most. THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the federation fighters. They lack a little of the punch that the dominion fighters have but the fact that it has a shield means someone has to do 2 damage to take off a token. They can't get by with one lucky hit, they need 2.

2 cloaked mines covers a good bit of the board 3 might be a little overkill.Placing them in the middle is nice to cut down on the jousting.

Cloaked mines are tough on Klingons. Not a lot of shield so the best way is to do your best to fly around them. If you mix factions Picard can help his free scan. If you think you will have to run through the mines the named ships are better for that extra shield. Konmel is expensive, but if you have one Secondary Shield Emitters in priced nicely.

Try making a template for the cloaked mine with the full range made on it. Practice at home with it on different areas of the table. After a few practices you will get used to the maneuvers you need to avoid them. Remember with cloaked ships sensor echo is you friend. You can't echo out ofthe mines, if you hit them. But use the echo so you are not in the mines path down the road.

Example: if you see cloaked mines the opponents list and they line up opposite you go slow 1 & 2 maneuvers. Bait them to deploy them where you want them to go. Once the mines are out go 1 straight echo for 2 by the nextturn you should be out of the mines range all together. Again the echo will not save you if you are in the mines path but once they are out you have to start thinking 1-2 turns ahead where you shipnis going to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
BruinGirl wrote:
First, what is the better fighter to fly: the slow, but more maneuverable Fed fighters or the heavy, faster Hideki?

I've flown them both in numerous games, and I really like them both.
I think I prefer (slightly) the Fed fighter.
Granted it's a little slower, but not having any red maneuvers on the dial is very cool, as you can do speed one or two come abouts and still take an action.
Also keep in mind that its special ability is rerolling one attack die. So that is *almost* the equivalent of having one extra die.

BruinGirl wrote:

3rd: If I fly Klingon, what is the best way to AVOID these same cloaked mines? I need help on this final question the most. THANKS!

As Sodoff said, sensor echoing can keep you out of the area of effect. Also I believe a speed two 90 degree turn will avoid the area.

One tactic I tried in my last game was to get across the board as fast as possible, so that the mine was dropped more toward my opponent's board edge.
However you maneuver, I think you want to try to keep them out of the center of the table.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow- great suggestions! Thank you!

We run pure faction ships so I can't use Picard.

The sensor echo really is a good idea.

Does anyone else have other suggestions too?

Mr S Baldrick wrote:
I like the federation fighters. They lack a little of the punch that the dominion fighters have but the fact that it has a shield means someone has to do 2 damage to take off a token. They can't get by with one lucky hit, they need 2.

2 cloaked mines covers a good bit of the board 3 might be a little overkill.Placing them in the middle is nice to cut down on the jousting.

Cloaked mines are tough on Klingons. Not a lot of shield so the best way is to do your best to fly around them. If you mix factions Picard can help his free scan. If you think you will have to run through the mines the named ships are better for that extra shield. Konmel is expensive, but if you have one Secondary Shield Emitters in priced nicely.

Try making a template for the cloaked mine with the full range made on it. Practice at home with it on different areas of the table. After a few practices you will get used to the maneuvers you need to avoid them. Remember with cloaked ships sensor echo is you friend. You can't echo out ofthe mines, if you hit them. But use the echo so you are not in the mines path down the road.

Example: if you see cloaked mines the opponents list and they line up opposite you go slow 1 & 2 maneuvers. Bait them to deploy them where you want them to go. Once the mines are out go 1 straight echo for 2 by the nextturn you should be out of the mines range all together. Again the echo will not save you if you are in the mines path but once they are out you have to start thinking 1-2 turns ahead where you shipnis going to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the placement of the mines a hard 2 or a hard 3 will let you avoid the area.

See also:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/40546/star-trek-attack-wi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a little expensive, but for you could always take the independent flagship with the scan action for a klingon ship. I think that is also the one that gives +1 attack to friendly ships attacking at range 2-3. It doesn't protect the whole fleet but it is something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Very helpful; thanks!

Echo2Omega wrote:
Depending on the placement of the mines a hard 2 or a hard 3 will let you avoid the area.

See also:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/40546/star-trek-attack-wi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

I just don't want to give up my fighter resource :-(

Mr S Baldrick wrote:
Its a little expensive, but for you could always take the independent flagship with the scan action for a klingon ship. I think that is also the one that gives +1 attack to friendly ships attacking at range 2-3. It doesn't protect the whole fleet but it is something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Waters
msg tools
mbmbmb
BruinGirl wrote:

2nd: if I fly Romulan, what is the minimum number of cloaked mines I should take to make it effective for Op 6? I was thinking at least 3... unless you think 2 is enough? But where would it be place best- in the middle or sides?

1: No clue haven't used the fighters, the hidekis are mean though.

2: The minimum amount of cloaked mines to be effective is 2. You place them right along where the middle of the ds9 lines up, you can make a killing line with them. Make your opponent fly through the mines or deal with DS9.

3. Move to the side with sensor echo after moving like a 1 forward(remember to use it to slide back some as well as to the side to give you more movement options the next round), take a hard 2, or just fly through them with shields up(I do this with my fed ships).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BruinGirl wrote:

It depends on the rest of your build. The Federation fighters definitely have a defensive advantage with their shielding, but lack the offensive advantage of the Cardassian ones. If you are plannin on using them as a defensive shield to slow your opponents down, the Fed ones are probably better. If you are planning on using them as part of a joint attack to take on enemy ships head to head, the Cardassian ones are probably better.

BruinGirl wrote:

2 is a good number, 3 is possible, but I think 2 will do the job though. There are two main ways you can deploy them in OP6 to get an advantage. You can take control of the station with a very small force or ignore it all together (in which case it counts as an enemy though and you can't place mines within range 2) and use them to keep enemy ships from wandering too close to drop off their own crew (who wants to lower your shields to beam down crew in the middle of a minefield?) OR you can go station heavy and mine the open areas of the map forcing your opponents to either fly through the mines or move closer to the stating and within range of its weapons. In the very least, you will want to put some in the stations blind spot to make your opponent think twice about trying to get into it to attack the station.

BruinGirl wrote:

Sensor Echo and small 1 moves tend to be your best defense. If an opponent is using a mine heavy build, it may be worth dropping cloak for a turn if you need to plow through the fields as well. Sometimes the loss of defense dice is worth the hits to the shield over hull damage, especially if your opponent can't shoot at you that round due to fire arcs or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jennifer and Bill for your comments.

My main concern now is: HOW TO ENGAGE THE ENEMY AFTER I MOVE AWAY FROM HIS MINES?

If I do the hard right/left, I no longer face the enemy coming at me...

I also plan on just blowing up DS9 if the mines are in the middle; I will need that lane to fly my ships if I can't fly in the middle...

Good idea?

Ender02 wrote:
BruinGirl wrote:

It depends on the rest of your build. The Federation fighters definitely have a defensive advantage with their shielding, but lack the offensive advantage of the Cardassian ones. If you are plannin on using them as a defensive shield to slow your opponents down, the Fed ones are probably better. If you are planning on using them as part of a joint attack to take on enemy ships head to head, the Cardassian ones are probably better.

BruinGirl wrote:

2 is a good number, 3 is possible, but I think 2 will do the job though. There are two main ways you can deploy them in OP6 to get an advantage. You can take control of the station with a very small force or ignore it all together (in which case it counts as an enemy though and you can't place mines within range 2) and use them to keep enemy ships from wandering too close to drop off their own crew (who wants to lower your shields to beam down crew in the middle of a minefield?) OR you can go station heavy and mine the open areas of the map forcing your opponents to either fly through the mines or move closer to the stating and within range of its weapons. In the very least, you will want to put some in the stations blind spot to make your opponent think twice about trying to get into it to attack the station.

BruinGirl wrote:

Sensor Echo and small 1 moves tend to be your best defense. If an opponent is using a mine heavy build, it may be worth dropping cloak for a turn if you need to plow through the fields as well. Sometimes the loss of defense dice is worth the hits to the shield over hull damage, especially if your opponent can't shoot at you that round due to fire arcs or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pretty sure you still suffer the damage from the cloaked mines if you move into range and then sensor echo out though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
Pretty sure you still suffer the damage from the cloaked mines if you move into range and then sensor echo out though.

Yes, but with a well placed 1 straight or bank, stopping outside of range one of the mines, you can sensor echo to the side and next turn hopefully go past the mines outside their activation zone. The sensor echo is to keep you from entering the activation area, not move you out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Bones
msg tools
placing 3 cloaked - if done right can pretty much cover the board... I've yet to see someone do 3 ... 2 yes, but 3 no. I played in an OP6 and none of my matches lasted more than 3 turns - sometimes blowing up DS9, sometimes not. I honestly didn't worry about cloaked mines... I always sensor, so that eliminates a die.. then I go blow up my opponent with my dreadnaught builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.