Subject: Mnmkami: Ask Me Anything about BattleCON/BattleGUIDES rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know? I guess this is just some excuse to get some conversation started on the forums!

I mean, I'd love to get to know you guys more. Hopefully, we can achieve that by getting to know me more? I don't know.

Hahaha!

Hi, I'm Marco! I make BattleGUIDES and I've playtested this game for quite some time. I've even helped develop some characters (Rexan and Arec)! I have around 400 games under my belt (and counting!).

Regardless, I really love this game and the people I've met while playing this game.

Want to know anything? Ask here? I don't know. It's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which battle (of 2 normal characters) in Devastation is considered the most unwinnable? By unwinnable, I mean that the win percentage of one character against another is the lowest (I hope it's still above 0%)

Do you think new players should practice with the same character over and over and try to master that character, or keep playing a different character every game so they get to see more characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HealingAura wrote:
Which battle (of 2 normal characters) in Devastation is considered the most unwinnable? By unwinnable, I mean that the win percentage of one character against another is the lowest (I hope it's still above 0%)

In Devastation? I can't statistically prove anything as I have not played every match-up with utmost scrutiny (there are literally 15*29 possible match-ups in this game). No match-up in BattleCON will have 0% (as everyone CAN win, given the nature of the game).

Regardless, I can't give a straight answer there as there are some bad match-ups.

Some include:
Voco VS Alexian (with Voco getting the short end of the stick).
Alexian has a lot of gap closing and has abilities that make Voco ignore his Ranges.

Adjenna VS Tanis (with Adjenna getting the short end of the stick)
Tanis teleports around too much for the slow Adjenna to give out Petrifications.

However, one of the worst, personally, has to be Byron VS Clive.

Almost all of Byron's effects Trigger On Hit and On Damage. Clive has a module that lets him Ignore On Hit and On Damage. Byron has a lot of minimum Ranges. Clive literally dances around the board WAY TOO MUCH.

Basically, 1 module renders most of Byron's Styles Blank. Coupled with the fact that Clive is generally fast (due to modules), you'll see Clive having quite the field day, granted that he dodge the Soulless beats.

There are other bad match-ups, but they involve War characters!

HealingAura wrote:
Do you think new players should practice with the same character over and over and try to master that character, or keep playing a different character every game so they get to see more characters?

My suggestion is to keep using random characters FIRST. Pick one and play. If you don't like the way they play, pick another character. Do this until you find a character that you LIKE.

Afterwards, I suggest repeatedly using that character in order to learn his/her/its nuances. This proves to be QUITE useful as it forms a foundation of how you'll deal with mastering other characters later on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another pretty bad matchup for Adjenna is Kehrolyn from War.
Kehrolyn has and EoB movement that extends to his next turn due to his Unique Ability.

That means she can have 2 of 3 beats when she can get out of petrification range easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any very basic tips for anticipating your opponent's moves? I guess one must-do is to memorize the bases. How useful do you find the opponent's reference card? Should I ask my opponent to show me her hand every turn before choosing cards?

What is the thought process you go through when choosing you style and base pair?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:
Want to know anything? Ask here? I don't know. It's fun.
:D

What is your very favorite character? (including both games)

Since you have played so many games, what major concepts regarding the game play have you understood along the way?

What is your favorite variant? What variant are you not that fond of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the submissions for Wanderers coming up, a question on a lot of peoples mind is: What advice would you give to a player looking to design their first BattleCON character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis DeSade
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
With the submissions for Wanderers coming up, a question on a lot of peoples mind is: What advice would you give to a player looking to design their first BattleCON character?

Along similar lines to this excellent question, what are unexplored areas of design space that have been identified and/or slated for future development?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opening bracket

Marco, I haven't thanked you yet for producing quality strategy videos about different fighters. I enjoy them very much and find them very useful. Keep it going and I'll be watching.

Closing bracket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When will we get the Endrbyte Guide? devildevildevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Springer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Request/reminder for a battleTIPS episode on balanced drafting technique? I'm loving the guides, but my appetite is insatiable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gravitypool wrote:
Another pretty bad matchup for Adjenna is Kehrolyn from War.
Kehrolyn has and EoB movement that extends to his next turn due to his Unique Ability.

That means she can have 2 of 3 beats when she can get out of petrification range easily.

Can I add Rexan to that list? Malediction and Overlord's

wittela wrote:
Do you have any very basic tips for anticipating your opponent's moves? I guess one must-do is to memorize the bases. How useful do you find the opponent's reference card? Should I ask my opponent to show me her hand every turn before choosing cards?

The best way to predict your opponent is to get familiar with the basics: The Bases. After that, I suggest that you take a GOOD LOOK at the opponent's reference card and use it to check how his styles can affect his attacks. Check which of his moves beat the MOST NUMBER of yours. A move that beats 4/5 of your attacks is more LIKELY to come up compared to an attack that beats 2/5.

HOWEVER, be careful when the opponent uses that AGAINST you. Remember that people can play sub-optimally.

As for the usefulness of the reference card, it's VERY useful, especially if you're not one to memorize EVERYTHING about a character. Looking at your opponent's hand is okay, though is usually reserved for when it's your FIRST FEW TIMES fighting a specific opponent. Once you're familiar enough, the reference card should do.

wittela wrote:
What is the thought process you go through when choosing you style and base pair?

My thought process is displayed here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14701317#14701317

DeePee wrote:
What is your very favorite character? (including both games)

In War, it HAS to be Robert. If talking legal only characters, it's Cadenza.

In Devastation, it's a close tie between Arec, Rexan, and Marmelee!

Overall, it's Robert.

DeePee wrote:
Since you have played so many games, what major concepts regarding the game play have you understood along the way?

The most important one has to be knowing your opponent. Knowing how the card effects work and stuff is GREAT, but there comes a point wherein knowing your opponent's thought process is MORE important than all of that.

Knowing what your opponent values and prioritizes will pave the path for selecting the best attacks!

Of course, this also means that I have to PURPOSELY twist my thought process, in order to be less predictable!

DeePee wrote:
What is your favorite variant? What variant are you not that fond of?

My favorite variant is boss battles! (Ex, Almighty, and dedicated bosses!) They add a new way for me to assess the value of my attacks. Besides that, Co-Op is always a BLAST!

My least favorite variant is Beta bases. Not that they're bad. It's just that it's SO HARD for me to shift my value system around after having played 400+ games with the Alpha bases.

Magius wrote:

Judging from Brad's process, my best advice would be to find an EXPERIENCE that you want to impart onto others. Brad has said that BattleCON characters are all about delivering an experience to the player.

Mechanics/Lore/Fluff all come AFTER defining your experience.

Other than that, I am a personal fan of simple, yet MEANINGFUL effects. A majority of people make characters with all these "cool" and "complicated" effects. I see a certain beauty and polish-ness in a character with simplified effects that are impactful. Case and point: Alexian/Kehrolyn.

Also, I HIGHLY suggest testing your character against a few archetypal characters. In Devastation, I suggest having your character fight: Eligor (for juggernauts), Shekhtur (for speedsters), and Karin and Jager (for brawlers). Other than this, you MAY want to fight against Otavia, to check if your character is TOO PREDICTABLE. Also, Sagas (from War) is a great check to your character's effect simplicity!

My biggest nugget of advice would be playing a LOT of the game before making new characters. Remember, if the experience you're proposing ALREADY EXISTS within the game, there's no reason for us to consider it!

Bolga wrote:
Opening bracket

Marco, I haven't thanked you yet for producing quality strategy videos about different fighters. I enjoy them very much and find them very useful. Keep it going and I'll be watching.

Closing bracket

Thank you! Hey, you helped with the Cesar video! Thanks a lot! It's a blast to make content for you guys!

dinobottm2 wrote:
When will we get the Endrbyte Guide? devildevildevil

Going by Flights. Judging by his popularity, he'll probably be first the moment I get there. Or second if Gaspar is more popular.

dspringer9952 wrote:
Request/reminder for a battleTIPS episode on balanced drafting technique? I'm loving the guides, but my appetite is insatiable!

I haven't forgotten. It's just that my semester's ending and I need to finish my Final projects. I'll have MUCH MORE TIME after that. I'll get to it, after BattleTIPS regarding the Special Action (especially since we've changed the Cancel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolono wrote:
Magius wrote:

Along similar lines to this excellent question, what are unexplored areas of design space that have been identified and/or slated for future development?

I accidentally missed this one! Sorry.

Regardless, I guess you're asking what stuff's already down the pipeline in order to prevent making rehashes of them?

Sorry, I don't think I can disclose any information regarding that (as per my Non-disclosure agreement), but all I can say is that making sure your character is NOT similar to the EXISTING ONES (in War and Devastation) is a good enough benchmark!

Note:
Keep asking questions. I'll always answer to the best of my abilities! Hahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean DeHarde
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on how the battlecon site is progressing? It's been in version 0.1 for a bit now. Looking forward to online battlecon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toolshed113 wrote:
Any word on how the battlecon site is progressing? It's been in version 0.1 for a bit now. Looking forward to online battlecon

If you've subscribed to the Level99Games newsletter, you'll see that Brad has had progress on the site!

Yaron's AI (which is posted on this forum) is also an indication of the rule-enforced programming BattleCON Online will have.

Honestly, everything is almost done from what I see. The only things left are networking and graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pope
United States
Bloomfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:

Regardless, I can't give a straight answer there as there are some bad match-ups.

Some include:
Alexian has a lot of gap closing and has abilities that make Voco ignore his Ranges.

Funny that you mention this matchup because I played against the AI the other day to try out both Voco and the AI for the first time, and I stupidly picked Alexian. I actually thought the AI was just too good rather than considering that it's just a really bad matchup for Voco. It wasn't until the following day when I realized that Voco almost cannot hit at Range 1 that I started to realize that it was just a funny matchup for me to pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Popesta wrote:
mnmkami wrote:

Some include:

Funny that you mention this matchup because I played against the AI the other day to try out both Voco and the AI for the first time, and I stupidly picked Alexian. I actually thought the AI was just too good rather than considering that it's just a really bad matchup for Voco. It wasn't until the following day when I realized that Voco almost cannot hit at Range 1 that I started to realize that it was just a funny matchup for me to pick.

It gets really bad if Alexian guesses you right so many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.