Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing the heck out of the iOS version (great implementation, at least the current version...I heard the first release had some issues). I love this game and have pretty much confirmed my desire to buy the physical copy at a later date. However, it seems like there can be a LOT to track when there is not a computer doing it for you. For instance, buildings that give you $ for every blue/yellow/green building...basically anything that has a continuous effect that is not just for adjacent tiles, which seems like about half the tiles in the game. Do you find that it is difficult to remember these ongoing effects in the game? Are you rereading all the tiles in your suburb each turn to make sure you aren't missing things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the scoring aid http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87162/suburbia-scoring-aid. It is the safest way to make sure nothing is forgotten especially when playing with 3 or 4 players.

However, the more you play the easier it gets without a scoring aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't find it difficult - there aren't too many tiles with non-adjacent effects and I can just scan my suburb to check. This isn't the case with everyone though; one solution mentioned on the forums is to use a counter to mark such tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use little glass stones to mark things that have effects for non-adjacent tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've no problem keeping track of things. Of course, I love Suburbia to death, and I'd probably played more than 50 face-to-face game with my gaming groups, and taught many players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
Hi Byron!

Like Eric said:

Carnage994 wrote:

However, the more you play the easier it gets without a scoring aid.

After 3 or even 2 games it´s no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually very easy to track things. I'll echo that the first couple of plays you'll want to be careful though. The game moves along quickly, and if you forget to raise/lower your growth/income at one point, it won't be very easy to backtrack and make the modifications. The flip side to that is that it's fairly easy to remember to make modifications when they come up. Just be sure to scan through all your tiles and have your opponents do the same after a tile is placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm with these guys, it's easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use colored buttons (with most matching the colors of the tiles) as tackers for the tiles with universal effects. This helps a lot since you can see which tiles can affect/be affected by your tile selections from across the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
I only found it a little tricky when I was teaching it to a few new people, because I was watching for their effects as well as my own. After their first game, they tracked theirs just fine, and I could mostly just watch for mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
In our group, once we start scoring on one thing, we remember it for later rounds, but at the start, before we're familiar with each others' cities, we have to make sure we're scoring everything. Using the scoring aid that comes with the game is good for remembering the order of operations when scoring, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in markers, you may want to look at these:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/15151494
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.