1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Attack Wing in the UK - popular or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Swallow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking around, it seems like STAW has a strong fanbase in the USA but here in the UK I'm not seeing the love as much.

Haven't heard of many OP events (especially where I am down south), and not seeing a lot of uptake in UK FLGS. It's not helping that the UK seems to be getting new releases late, at random, or in small quantities.

So it this just me misreading things, or is STAW struggling for popularity in the UK? British players, what are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a rather busy Attack Wing UK comunity over at facebook.

But you're right that bad distribution of not only OP stuff but also the waves hurt the game big time. And that's not only true for the UK but for Germany, Austria and the Netherlands as well (AFAIK it is).

Hopefully it'll just take a bit more time to get things rolling. As it is quite "hard" reading here about the OP events and the newest addition to the US players fleets when you're still stuck at Wave 2, with no hard release date for Wave 3 (at least in Germany there's none!) and live far away from any one a the few OP offerings here.

But we'll manage. There's ebay, trading with fellow gamers and this one virtue I struggle with most...I think it is called patience or something like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Knight
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's buzzing in the Midlands.

We get 12+ for OP events in Stoke. There's events in Manchester, Lichfield, Burton, Sheffield.

I think it's just stores aren't massively putting the events out there so it's hard to find out what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashen von Ragend
Austria
Wien / Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm this being the case for austria. I think we are still missing one wave 0 ship, but definitly wave 1 and following ships :-( yay wizkids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Goodman
United Kingdom
St. Neots
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish it was more popular around where I am but X Wing has taken over. Locally I think Star Wars is just more popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksphere in London is always full every op and several people on the waiting list and not always the same people every week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the delays in waves and OP kits has caused a drop in the momentum of the game as far as I can see though I still love it.

I found OP's in Manchester, Sheffield, Doncaster but strangely enough not Leeds where I come from despite having a shop in the same franchise as the Sheffield FLGS that runs one.

If I had my own transport I'd probably travel further to find other events.

I think part of the problem (at least in my area) is that the gaming community is more centred round wargaming clubs and/or organised tournaments rather than FLGS venues.

As a result the number of OP events is limited by the fact that the packs are pretty much limited to retail outlets.

Had it been possible I would have been more than willing to purchase an OP pack to run at my club. Which would have had the added benefit of getting more players from my area involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, how popular is Star Trek, generally, in Europe?

Back in the late 80's, Patrick Stewart was on a talk show and when asked that question, he was sort of embarrassed (for fans or himself—perhaps it was for laughs—I couldn't tell) that in the UK it was regarded as a kids' show.

That was 25 years ago. Maybe the perception has changed since. Or not?

And if not, might that have some added influence on the game's (un)popularity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Stanley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can say in worcester UK we just had OP5 and ten people turned up last op there were 8 so....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Knight
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jiffk wrote:
several people on the waiting list

I can't say I like the sound of that. It sounds to me like you are telling people they can't play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levant Mayne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Like someone said, Midlands is popular. So is East Anglia. Peterborough we have one a month with around 10 people (rapidly increasing now, though. Will probably have 12 for the next OP event). Doncaster has a few. Nottingham, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizzwang wrote:
jiffk wrote:
several people on the waiting list

I can't say I like the sound of that. It sounds to me like you are telling people they can't play?

I don't get your point, if there's not enough spaces you can't play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for taking this a bit off-topic but:

Herr von Ragend wrote:
I can confirm this being the case for austria. I think we are still missing one wave 0 ship, but definitly wave 1 and following ships :-( yay wizkids!

I don't think the Valdore and the Kraxon (both from Wave 0) have been available in Vienna. Waves 1 and 2 I've all seen at at least one shop.
No signs of Wave 3 yet. And yes, that dismal distribution isn't exactly helping the game. Or our FLGSs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashen von Ragend
Austria
Wien / Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, i'm missing those two as well. Especially valdore hurts, i would love to build a valdore based fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Order them from EBay UK I know of one company that'll post to Austria.

Total cost for the Kraxon £12.75 including postage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am kicking about in the central belt of Scotland and locally I am finding very little. A bookshop in Edinburgh that carries bits of waves, a store in Glasgow that has some more bits but no local OP's and I cant get my hands on a defiant for love nor money currently.

Play wise its not too much of an issue for myself, as i mostly play attack wing with friends of mine so I am at least seeing some game time, but getting my hands on expansions is proving difficult and OP stuff means e-bay and paying the inflated prices there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:

I got one Valdore from Germany, one from the UK, and the Kraxon also from the UK. The thing is, lack of availability hurts the local shops and local OP scene. I'd much rather give my business to one of the two game stores here than order over the internet, but when it's taking months and I don't want to risk not getting a ship at all, I'll go that route.
But I suppose the stores would be more supportive of the game and OP if they could actually get the product rather than watch their customers buy elsewhere. Plus, it also deters some potential players that do not want to order over the internet.
Not saying there's no way around it - just that it might benefit the game if distribution worked better. (And from what I've heard, in the case of the Valdore/Kraxon it's not that the store didn't order, they just never received them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
SteRT wrote:

I got one Valdore from Germany, one from the UK, and the Kraxon also from the UK. The thing is, lack of availability hurts the local shops and local OP scene. I'd much rather give my business to one of the two game stores here than order over the internet, but when it's taking months and I don't want to risk not getting a ship at all, I'll go that route.
But I suppose the stores would be more supportive of the game and OP if they could actually get the product rather than watch their customers buy elsewhere. Plus, it also deters some potential players that do not want to order over the internet.
Not saying there's no way around it - just that it might benefit the game if distribution worked better. (And from what I've heard, in the case of the Valdore/Kraxon it's not that the store didn't order, they just never received them.)

Ah, I see now. I thought you meant they'd only ordered limited stock and had sold out but weren't re-ordering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very popular in the Midlands. I go to about 4 venues which are normally pulling in good numbers. I play a lot casually with a group of friends I've gotten into the game. And there's the event at the Games Expo in Birmingham soon too.

I do agree that the delays are massively annoying but not enough to kill it. Just doesn't seem to be much happening down south.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashen von Ragend
Austria
Wien / Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:

Whenever i have the chance to buy a game at my local store i'll rather do that then order online. Those guys offer excellent service, and i don't want to punish them by buying online just because wk is not able to set up decent distribution. So i prefer to wait and tend to growing my hate for wk and my love for their games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I would try and buy from my local store too, however they carry no wizkids product at all and tend to focus on other areas.

From what I have seen Attack wing is limited to isolated pockets of gaming clubs in Scotland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm the same - I prefer to order locally to support the shops running the events I playing in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Out of curiosity, how popular is Star Trek, generally, in Europe?

Back in the late 80's, Patrick Stewart was on a talk show and when asked that question, he was sort of embarrassed (for fans or himself—perhaps it was for laughs—I couldn't tell) that in the UK it was regarded as a kids' show.

That was 25 years ago. Maybe the perception has changed since. Or not?

And if not, might that have some added influence on the game's (un)popularity?

Star Trek has always been hugely popular in the UK and Germany. I’m fairly new to Trek Fandom, but at its peak in the nineties, I’m told that the Trek meet ups over here regularly used to pull in hundreds of people, and that’s without any star guests. With end of Enterprise, and a lack of new, ongoing Trek, there has been a decline, although activity ‘spikes’ continue. There have been two very high profile official “Mega Cons” in London in 2012, and Germany a couple of weeks ago. Our version of the SyFy channel has a highly promoted “Star Trek Zone” until fairly recently, another channel, CBS action had a “Trekologist” another fan who introduced episodes of Trek with trivia etc etc. Our meet ups are not as big as they used to be, but are fun.

I imagine that Patrick Stewart’s comments at the time were based around the fact that when it started over here in the late sixties/early seventies, Star Trek took Doctor Who’s slot on the BBC during Who’s seasonal hiatus. Doctor Who, while not officially a children’s show has been seen as such by many. Perhaps he may have (arguably unfairly, on both shows) associated some of that stigma with the two. I know that Trekkies on both sides on the Atlantic would love it if there was Star Trek show at Doctor Who’s current level on the air.

Going back to the topic, there is certainly a passion for the product out there. I’ve play in three OP contests, 1 in Mansfield (near Nottingham) and in 2 Sheffield stores. I started off going to Mansfield because that’s where I discovered the game, but I learned about one of the Sheffield tournaments through the people I met at Mansfield, and I did some research and found that the other Sheffield games store did OP events as well.

I only won my first match, (a friendly) this weekend (YES… YES… YES… YES….). Despite my record, I love the game. The Sheffield event yesterday clashed with a major UK convention that I probably would have gone if it wasn’t for that tournament and the love that I’ve found for the game. It was the more cost effective and fun option, and I’m glad I went for it looking at the reports on FB.

Now that there is a WK exclusive European distributor, hopefully we’ll soon see localised support and promotion. Having said that…. If the Organised Play followed the XWing or Magic model, there would only be one weekend where you can play an OP, meaning that the opportunities to participate would suddenly be limited to one store per player, so I guess at this juncture, we just need a more efficient Wave release schedule to build it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Swallow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd echo FleetCaptDanAdams answer to BradyLS, Star Trek has always been been popular in Europe, but certainly more so in the 90's back when I was first into fandom. Still a lot of love for it around, though - I'm proof of that, I write Star Trek books for a living (among other things!)

But back to topic - thanks to everyone for their input. So it seems that STAW *does* have some good event/fanbase support in the UK, but that it is largely concentrated north of the Watford Gap.

SteRT makes a good point about the loss of "momentum" because of delays with new waves and OP stuff. Hopefully that'll smooth out...

Apart from Dark Sphere, does anyone know of other events in and around London and South East?

And one other thing - does anyone know of any STAW podcasts out there? There's some good X-Wing ones but nothing for Attack Wing that I can find...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JMSwallow wrote:

I'd echo FleetCaptDanAdams answer to BradyLS, Star Trek has always been been popular in Europe, but certainly more so in the 90's back when I was first into fandom. Still a lot of love for it around, though - I'm proof of that, I write Star Trek books for a living (among other things!)

You're THAT James Swallow? Excellent. I loved "The Poisoned Challace"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.