Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Heymuth
Germany
Harmstorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey fellow runners,

yesterday I participated in a 15-person Store Championship in Hamburg.
I came with my beloved Noise-Shop build and a Building a Better World one,
I put together the night before and tested twice on OCTGN. I finished 7th of 15 with a score of 10-10, where my Noise deck won 3 times, the Weyland one 2 times. So here are my decklists:

Event (8)
2x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
2x Stimhack (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow) •

Hardware (7)
3x Cyberfeeder (Core Set)
2x Grimoire (Core Set)
2x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ••••

Resource (14)
3x Wyldside (Core Set)
1x Aesop's Pawnshop (Core Set) ••
2x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
2x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus) ••••• •••
3x Public Sympathy (Cyber Exodus)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (3)
1x Corroder (Core Set)
1x Wyrm (Core Set)
1x Crypsis (Core Set)

Program (13)
3x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Djinn (Core Set)
1x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set)
3x Imp (What Lies Ahead)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)

It is the ninth iteration of a deck that started based completely around ICE denial. Though I found, that it sucks to have to destroy an Ice Wall with Parasites if you can break it for one with Corroder.
It actually works quite well, despite the lack of Killers or Decoders.

Agenda (11)
3x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)
3x Government Contracts (A Study in Static)
2x Veterans Program (True Colors)

Asset (3)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Upgrade (6)
3x Corporate Troubleshooter (Core Set) •••
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set) ••••• ••••

Operation (11)
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
3x Power Shutdown (Mala Tempora)

Barrier (7)
3x Ice Wall (Core Set)
2x Wall of Static (Core Set)
2x Bastion (Creation and Control)

Code Gate (4)
2x Enigma (Core Set)
2x Datapike (Creation and Control)

Sentry (7)
3x Archer (Core Set)
2x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead)
2x Grim (Opening Moves)

As mentioned above, I built this deck just the night before the tournament, tested and twice and was rather content. Though I am more than certain, that especially here, a lot of things can be tweaked.
The basic idea here is to get away from meat damage stuff. Especially against Weyland people play their Plascretes anyway and don't run on the last click. So my idea was to use this misconception to my advantage and build a fast advance deck. Instead of meat damage, I want to trash their programs. Archers, Grims, Corporate Troubleshooters.
That tempo swing shall be used to overadvance those Atlases and score Hostiles out of hand for the victory.

I was a little early so I chatted with the other guys, especially those not from our local meta, i.e. Berlin and Münster, about this and that.
We were 15 guys all in all and apparently the meta was absolutely NBN - Criminal dominated. I had the feeling, that we were about 75% TWIY* and 60% Gabe or Andi. I was really interested in how my Noise will perform against those super fast-advance TWIY.

Round 1 vs Florian

Florian is a local guy who I played twice already in tournaments. If I remember correctly, I won both of that matches 4-0. So I was pretty optimistic.

In Game 1 I played against his Weyland. I had a fine starting hand, including a Sure Gamble and a Wyldside. I didn't play too aggressive against him in the beginning as I don't have Plascretes and didn't want to become vulnerable against early meat damage flatlines. I could steal an Atlas from R&D. He in turn scored an Atlas himself, though without overadvancement, which he would have been able to. However, he didn't draw into his operation economy and had less money than I had.
He was able to score a Vulcan Coverup and trashed a second Wyldside and a Public Sympathy, luckily two cards I couldn't really use.
After having installed some further viruses, I ran Archives and found some Government contracts and another Atlas for the win. The next card he would have drawn was the Jackson

Game 2 let me play against his Gabe (or was it an Andi?). I drew a nice starting hand and tried to get a double overadvanced Atlas very early. Unfortunaly he Inside Jobbed it away. However, he didn't draw into his breakers and a two-ICE deep scoring server allowed me to get the double overadvanced Atlas. I use it to get another Atlas going to keep the momentum and was successful again. So 4 Agenda Points, 3 Atlas tokens - get those Takeovers going. He ran a little, but could do nothing in the end.

After the 4-0 I had to play against Thorge. Just two weeks earlier we encountered each other at the Münster Store Championship and split points. Today he played two different decks though.

Game 1 put my Weyland against his Gabe. I didn't draw two ICE at the beginning, even after a Mulligan. So he snuck out a Veterans Program and a Hostile Takeover. Fortunately I could Power Shutdown a Faerie though. That allowed me to trash in one single round his entire rig, except a single Datasucker. He first ran into a Grim that he couldn't beat with Mimic. I trashed his Yog.0 and he ran a remote. I rezzed an Archer, killing the Mimic and a Corroder. Unfortunately he had an Inside Job and I was lacking two credits to rez the Bastion behind the Archer, so that he could score an Atlas. Because I was lacking credits, I could not use the tempo swing to directly start scoring things. I had some government contracts in hand, but needed the money. So I clicked for money, had a Hedge Fund and was thus able to get those contracts going. Last click that turn I drew another card - another Government contracts. Luckily HQ was safe - not. He Sneakdoored me and even though I rezzed a Grim in front of Archives to trash it, he used his 66% chance to draw one of the Government Contracts and won that game.

Game 2 had my Noise encounter the first TWIY* deck. He didn't protect R&D for the whole game and in about 8 accesses I didn't find a single Agenda... I trashed a Beale though by installing a Datasucker. But as I didn't get my draw engine going, I had no chance at the end. He was able to score an early Astro and a Profiteering. Then another Market Research and another Profiteering. I trashed the SanSan, but he had a Breaking News in hand for the win.

So after this frustrating game which I felt was quite a bit unlucky for me, my Noise encountered another TWIY* in Game 1 against Matthias.
So another fast-advance deck... I ran HQ and R&D, he rezzed two wraparounds. Awesome. I only have 1 Corroder in the entire deck, this can last... I still install a Parasite on the R&D Wraparound, and a Wyrm and a Datasucker, so that I might trash the Wraparound earlier as aspected. But yeah. He scored an Astro. And an Astro. Yay, I drew the Corroder, so the Wraparound is instantly trashed. Yay! An Agenda in R&D for me. Damn, he scores the third(!!!) Astro. Two of them still have tokens. And he has a rezzed SanSan. Ruzn R&D, find nothing. Run HQ and luckily draw the only Beale out of six cards. He draws and draws and draws but finds no Agenda. I score another Beale from R&D, run it again, find nothing. Run HQ, find nothing. I remember I installed a Parasite two turns ago when I trashed the Wraparound in front of HQ. So Archives is it - and the winning Beale. What a game...

Game 2 let me play against Kit. I drew my ICE late, though at least it was different types. He has a Yog.0 and an SMC and therefore can access R&D for free, where only a Caduceus is. Of course he steals a Goverment Contracts and an Atlas. I can score a Hostile Takeover and a Veterans Program, so I lose the Bad Pub again. I have a remote Server with Grim before Wall of Static. In the server I put a Troubleshooter. I then install SanSan, Government contracts and advance it. He doesn't run the server, so I get the Contracts going for me, which is nice. I draw an Atlas and have 2 game winning agendas for him in my 5 card hand. He runs R&D, doesn't find anything. Luckily he does not run HQ so I score the Atlas out of hand for the victory. Those two games were intense.

This round should decide whether I play for the top 4 or stay in the middle of the tournamend table. I played against Tobias in Münster two weeks ago and won both games. Though he played two different and better decks in this tournament. So Game 1 was my Noise against his TWIY*. So nothing new here. He scored an Astro early. I uncovered a Scorched Earth from HQ so I knew what his deck tries to do to me as well. I succeed in stealing five agenda points (TGTBT, Character Assassination and an Astro), but as he has an Astro token left, he with 5 Agenda points as well is on matchpoint. So I run R&D, HQ and Archives, take tags from Data Raven but find nothing. He double scorches me after that. But again, this game was extremely intense and could have ended just as well with a victory for me

So I proceed to play the third Criminal, another Andi. This game was extremely short. I only draw Barriers, he gets his Corroder out and scores a Veterans Program and two Government Contracts shortly after each other.

With 8-8 I was clearly in the midfield. However, 10 points was my least goal, so I had to win at least one round. I started with Noise against Andreas Weyland. I had an awesome starting hand, Sure Gamble, Wyldside, Imp etc. He didn't ICE R&D. So I run, find an Atlas. I run again and see a Punitive. Damn! So I can't play the Wyldside now. Instead I draw a card. He initiates Sea Source, but I elude the trace. He initiates the Punitive, gets me and I lose the Wyldside - meh. I have to play a little slower then, in order to not risk losing early to meat damage.
This allows him to score some Cleaners. Argh. I had a MVP this game though. My Aesops was a money machine. Daily Casts, empty Imps, even a Datasucker when I needed money. Awesome. In a moment where he is low on Credits I can get some cleaners. I run Archives, where I trashed some cards, but there is nothing. He gets money by scoring two Hostile Takeovers. So we are both at 5 Agenda Points. I install a Medium on a Workshop, run R&D, trash an ICE wall with a Parasite, install the Medium and see the first two cards. There is the Fracking for the win!
I would have had another run where I see three new cards, however, had I not found anything, Noise would have been grilled. His whole hand was pure meat damage

So I had the 10 points and was happy. So the fact that I lost the last game in two turns after not drawing any ICE at all (except Archer, yay) and he scores a Veterans Program as well as two Government contracts didn't really bother me. Shit happens
Sequel: So with 10-10 I went 7th of 15. That is ok, because I feel that in at least three games I was quite unlucky. However, there was also the game against Matthias TWIY* where I was extremyl lucky.

One thing that bothered me against Tobias TWIY* was, that I was stopped from stealing an Astro from a RSVP+Pop-Up Window combo. This makes me want to include Yog.0 But I don't have the MU for him. So I would have to drop the Wyrm, which again makes a lot of early accesses through ICE destroyal a lot more difficult. I don't want to add any +MU cards. I wouldn't know which cards to cut. I think every single card in the deck had its moments. It runs smoothly, though it still is vulnerable to not drawing early Wyldside, despite three copies and an additional Quality Time. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd be more than happy to hear them

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this report
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.