Popular Tags: [View All]
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we had our first (3 player) game yesterday and it was a laughable fiasco. We were about one and a half hour into the game, mostly enjoying ourselves, and then a meteor shower event cut another player's tracks in half, effectively leaving him isolated in a small portion of network and with no possiblity of picking or delivering anything; so he started to discard his hand turn after turn, and this caused (yep, you guessed it) two more meteor showers to occur which left us (me & the 3rd other player) in the exact same condition as him.
By that time, and probably due to a very bad planning on our part, we all were out of money and we were unable to either repair our networks or loan another player's tracks. So for the rest of the game all we did was throwing out our hands in the hope we got the only demand card we could possibly use (which didn't happen);the situation was so ridiculous we couldn't keep ourselves from laughing at one point. Finally the deck was exhausted and we just called it quits.

As I said, we probably spent our money a little too boldly and I am aware the meteor event is dangerous (well I am certainly aware NOW ), but I wanted to know if this is normally to be expected or it was more an incredibly unlucky chain of events. Also, at that moment we didn't know about the optional rule about emergency loans or whatever is called, do you guys use it normally?

Finally, we are eager to give the game a second chance, can you guys give us any strategy advice regarding the above? thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Many players leave the event cards out of the game ... that would be the easiest solution meeple

You can also play with bank loans (it's somewhere in the optional rules IIRC).

And I think you all just went unlucky. I play mostly 2-player games and we leave the event cards all in; although we play with the loans-rule (and sometimes you need one to re-build the flooded bridge or other pieces of broken track).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Many players leave the event cards out of the game ... that would be the easiest solution meeple

Yeah well, in spite of last night's carnage I kinda like the added chrome of the disasters, it adds a pinch of shiny scifi flavor. We'll try the emergency loan rule next time, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just reading the rules again and I noticed a rule we might have done wrong. It says a meteor strike destroys all tracks connecting to the target point OR any of the 6 points around it. We played so it only destroyed the tracks directly connected to the target point, but if it is the other way, it means the meteor creates a 5-point wide hexagonal crater, is that so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, you made me getting the game and looking it up meeple

The example on page 8 is pretty clear I'd say: you locate that particular point (in case of the example, 3 mileposts north of Sinus Iridum). Then you clear all track that leads to that particular milepost (6 track pieces at maximum). Furthermore, you now clear all track that lead to the mileposts around the located milepost -> so yeah, a 5-milepost wide crater will be created.

The rule expresses that much more elegant than me:
Rulebook wrote:
Erase any track connected to that milepost and any track connected to the six mikeposts adjacent to it.

Those Apollo astronauts all returned unharmed ... they have been damn lucky I'd say
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's pretty nasty, we'll better be extra-cautious in our next game. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.