tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
ULTIMO wrote:

Yes... well... speaks for itself, doesnt it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he has nothing further to say on the topic?

It used to be that the best way to get a person's attention was to whisper.

He was playing a game of Life and drew a blank.

So, now we ned a secret decoder???

That last message was an enigma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I just saw this over on grognards...

VentoNuovo Games has announced they are working on a new World War I series. Each game in the series will focus on a specific year of the war, starting with '1914'. More details to come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Milan - VNG HQ. March 15, 2014

VentoNuovo Games and Hewlett Packard
Sign a Business Agreement

As has already been announced, VNG is in the process of finalising a new wargame series, called "1914".

Hewlett Packard is the leader in worldwide computer market and has recently showed up interest in historical wargames.

For this reason, VNG and HP have yesterday signed an agreement granting HP the rights to publish the entire “1914” series in 12 monthly issues through their channels starting from July, 2014. VNG is proud to be a part of this collaboration.

“1914” is a series of two wargames, 1914 Germany at War and 1914: Austria-Hungary at War, developed after long and painstaking historical research, played over detailed and colourful maps, with all the over 600 combat formations that took part in the battles for Serbia, Galicia, France and East Prussia during the first five months of the Great War, when the respective German and French High Commands actually thought that the image below would be a typical sight on the Battlefield. The cover of 1914 - Germany at War portrays how no one was prepared for the horrors of trench warfare.

Even though it is possible to build barbed wire, obstacles, trenches and forts, in 1914 players must try to employ mobility to bring their armies to a speedy victory before the winter comes.

The phrase “We’ll be home by Christmas” was employed by both sides.

Excellent management of troop’s morale, army combat experience and resources is crucial to achieving victory.

Each game is played over two large 70x90 cm map boards and includes over 300 high quality components manufactured in Italy to the highest standards.

Detailed Series Description.

On 28 June 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife were shot dead in Sarajevo by Gavrilo Princip, a member of the Black Hand political organization seeking a merger of the Balkan area into a Greater Serbia or a Yugoslavia.
Austria-Hungary subsequently issued an ultimatum against Serbia. When the ultimatum was rejected, Austria-Hungary then declared war. This marked the outbreak of the Great War.
While France and Russia immediately sided with Serbia, Germany joined Austria-Hungary and started a surprise offensive in the west with the objective of quickly defeating the French and then turning east to knock Tsarist Russia out of the war.

1914 is a game of World War I conflict simulation at the strategic level. It recalls the most decisive battles fought by Germany and Austria in the Balkans, the Western and the Eastern Fronts in 1914. Although based on historical events and battles, the players in command of the two factions can modify the evolution of World War I. The game is recommended for two or four players, but good solitaire suitability.
The game was developed using a system of wooden blocks and cubes played out over two 70x90 cm multicolour map boards. It contains more than 300 wooden and plastic components created by the best Italian artisans and painted "A buratto", a technique usually adopted for painting car parts and accessories.

The rules are divided into three major sections which can be learned one at a time:

• BASIC GAME RULES (BR): The first section introduces the basic concepts of 1914 and enables players to start playing the game without too many rules to remember.
• ADVANCED GAME RULES (AR): The next section provides more specific and detailed rules for enhanced realism, such as Cavalry Impetus, Scouting etc.
• OPTIONAL RULES (OR): Finally, for those players who want to get the best out of the game, these additional rules can be added as desired (normally to the AR) and include air recon, dogfighting, naval bombardment etc.

SCALE

In 1914, 1 cm is approximately 10 km, a turn is 1 month long, and a full-strength counter represents a major military formation, normally corps size with some divisions and brigades.

FOG of WAR
The game can be played with "Fog of War" on (with the faces of wooden blocks hidden from the opponent) or off (all units are visible).

This game will allow you to experience the difficult decisions that had to be made in the early stages of WWI in the same manner that Blocks in the East and Blocks in the West did for WWII.

Emanuele Santandrea
Head of Historical Research and Product Development
VentoNuovo Games

But nothing happens without the enthusiasm and the great support you good guys of the BGG community have provided us in the past months.

FULL STEAM AHEAD

emanuele

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D'Agosta
United States
Massapequa Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great news! Looking forward to your new series, and wishing you much success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the cover photo does show German cavalry during the Grand Emperor Maneuver of 1912, doesn´t it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan,

I believe taht the first 2 covers of the series really prompt on how well was Germany prepared and how badly was Austria-Hungary.

I would not be surprised if the latter will find some unexpected difficulties, while for the first will be an easy smashing, especially in the East.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand. I was just curious - as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.