Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: List for an upcoming game this week rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm completely new to STAW having only played 2 games so far. My last game looked more like a demolition derby with me bumping into everything on the board. On the other hand my opponent had a much better grasp of the movement templates which was all the more embarrassing. Last weeks list was a dual battleship list with an attack ship. I just couldn't keep the battleships in position to do a whole lot once they got their first shots in (which took out the Enterprise-D).

So here's my revamped list. Feel free to pick it apart - I'm basically going by what sounds good on the card text Kinda like picking winners in football based on who has the cooler uniforms (which worked out for me this year as the Seahawks have awesome uniforms).

4th Division Battleship
Gul Dukat
Boheeka
Photon Torpedoes
Dorsal Array
United Forces

5th Wing Patrol Ship
Glenon
Phased Polaron Beam
Rax

Attack Ship
Luaran
Phased Polaron Beam
Breen Aide

Total points: 110 (10 extra due to United forces)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With exception to the photon torpedoes on the battleship, I like the list. I would get rid of the photons, change to the named battleship, and add another Dorsal Array if you can borrow it. You'll find that Gul Dukat and Boheeka work very well together.

The only thing I might suggest is that you pick a different squad that has very close to the same maneuver dials. I've taught a few people to fly very well with Klingons (almost every ship has the same maneuvers). You space 3 of them in a triangle with the width of a maneuver template between all of them, then pick the same maneuver for each one. They shouldn't ever bump into each other if you do this.

In the list you have, I would setup for the initial joust with the two attack ships ahead of the battleship in a triangle formation. Pick all the same maneuvers as you get into position, then the fighters can break off as needed with hard turns or a come about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yeah, the photon torpedoes are just too sexy to resist 5+2 shots from forward and rear arc on the 4th was just too much for me to resist. In my first game I only got to shoot once with the two battleships because of how difficult they are to maneuver. After that they became bullet magnets and the remaining ships stayed out of their forward arcs which just wasn't that hard to do. Between the dorsal and the photons I should be shooting at something every turn and possibly buffing one of the attack ships as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4th division battleship has a rear arc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edowney wrote:
Yeah, the photon torpedoes are just too sexy to resist 5+2 shots from forward and rear arc on the 4th was just too much for me to resist. In my first game I only got to shoot once with the two battleships because of how difficult they are to maneuver. After that they became bullet magnets and the remaining ships stayed out of their forward arcs which just wasn't that hard to do. Between the dorsal and the photons I should be shooting at something every turn and possibly buffing one of the attack ships as well.

The Battleship doesn't have a rear arc and its only +1 die from your standard primary attack. Basically you are paying 6 points and spending a target lock to get one more die and possibly remove 1 defense die from an opponent at range 3. With your primary weapon, you save the 6 points, don't need the target lock (or at least can use it to reroll) and even get a bonus die at range 1 which makes it still do 7 dice.

People complain about the Battleships maneuverability, but honestly, after flying Keldon Class Cardassian ships, the thing feels like a sports car. In the least, it can still turn if it gets a warp core breach, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:

People complain about the Battleships maneuverability, but honestly, after flying Keldon Class Cardassian ships, the thing feels like a sports car. In the least, it can still turn if it gets a warp core breach, lol.

Well I won't argue about how something feels, but there is no objective way to describe the Keldon as less maneuverable than the battleship. Two turn maneuvers vs only one and one green bank maneuver vs zero green banks puts the argument on the side of the Keldon.

I have to concede your point that few ships lose less maneuverability by ejecting their warp core than the battleship. I'm just not sure that's such a point in its favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Ender02 wrote:

The Battleship doesn't have a rear arc and its only +1 die from your standard primary attack. Basically you are paying 6 points and spending a target lock to get one more die and possibly remove 1 defense die from an opponent at range 3. With your primary weapon, you save the 6 points, don't need the target lock (or at least can use it to reroll) and even get a bonus die at range 1 which makes it still do 7 dice.

Ah, ok, I probably misunderstood how the upgrade cards work then. So you're saying just because the card says you can fire from your forward or rear arc your ship actually has to support a rear arc? I assumed the weapon could fire through any ships rear arc regardless. Well that changes things. I don't think 6SP is worth 7 shots vs 6 shots through the forward arc only. If that's the case then back to the drawing board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Downey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Ok, I revamped my list based on no rear arc torpedo shannagins which makes me very sad

4th Division Battleship
Gul Dukat
Boheeka
Dorsal Array
Dorsal Array
Tetryon emissions
United Forces

5th Wing Patrol Ship
Glenon
Phased Polaron Beam
Shroud
Rax

Attack Ship
Luaran
Phased Polaron Beam
Breen Aide

Total points: 110 (10 extra due to United forces)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.