Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else feel like they just learned a new language?

I get that symbols make translations easier, but ugh; too many damn symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't ever play Race for the Galaxy. =)

Actually a quick reference sheet with all of the symbols would be nice. Good opportunity for someone to earn some GG. I'll definitely tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it, it was okay. I think the difference is in the rule book for Myth they try to make equations with the symbols and the whole thing is just easier to read as text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy's symbol driven gameplay makes Myth look like Chutes and Ladders in terms of complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Doughman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which symbols are you referring to? I created all of them so I could check with the fellas to see if I can make a "key".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the rule book in front of me, but there is a section talking about adding AP to the darkness meter, and the text is clear, but the picture shows the little flame symbol on the AP track, and nowhere in the rules does it say to use a flame symbol to track the AP (though we figured it out eventually). The little picture depicting increasing the meter is nearly indecipherable until you've played a bit. The text makes sense on its own, but I found myself trying to figure out if there was something I was misunderstanding because I didn't get the terribly cryptic illustration.

It's not really that bad, once you play a little, but I think it would have been easier if they just said "Move" instead of using the icon that makes the number harder to read, and TN (which we are already familiar with as a shorthand) instead of the sword on the monster card, and "Proximity" or something instead of that symbol for activation range or whatever its called.

Just write the damn words, ya' know? Clearly, the game isn't designed with the illiterate in mind already, so I don't think the symbols are really helping anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Wow, pretty nit picky. Its not like an Antone Bauza game with 50+ unique symbols. Its like 4 or 5 used on every card. As for the flame, i dont get what you are trying to interpret. It just tracks AP. Should it have been a token that says "This is the AP tracker token used to track AP. Place it on the AP track and track it".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My point is that it is an unnecessary barrier to learning to play the game - what was added by making everything icons rather than words?

RE: the flame - any explanation would have done fine. Nowhere in the book is it listed as a tracker, so the picture doesn't have any meaning until you figure out that it is what they've decided to use to track it.

We actually used a blood marker until later when we finally figured out what the picture was conveying (though we understood the rule fine, from the text). Any sort of text to accompany the picture explaining the flame icon would have been fine. As it was, I wasn't sure if it was a conceptual pictogram (like the one for checking threat range) or an example of how something worked physically (like it actually is).

It's an unnecessary level of obfuscation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:

Given the choice between the degree of iconography on Myth compared to a game like Pathfinder ACG, I'll take Myth any day. Symbols, once learned, rapidly accelerate gameplay. Its no more a barrier to entry than learning the rules. You learn both together and you're done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maybe I just don't see it after watching a lot of the videos. It explains the token and how its used on page 17 BTW.
Again it doesnt really matter. Its just a tracking token. You could use generic cubes if you wanted.
The icons on the cards i can see more but there arnt many and by the end of the first tile you should know them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vazzucious wrote:
Maybe I just don't see it after watching a lot of the videos. It explains the token and how its used on page 17 BTW.
Again it doesnt really matter. Its just a tracking token. You could use generic cubes if you wanted.
The icons on the cards i can see more but there arnt many and by the end of the first tile you should know them all.

A - you shouldn't have to watch videos to understand any game, the rulebook should take care of that.
B - I can't argue about page 17, I don't have the book in front of me at the moment - are you referring to the PDF? Because I definitely don't remember it ever being explained in the rule book (other than in the example I cited, where it is not explained, just shown).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:

Given the choice between the degree of iconography on Myth compared to a game like Pathfinder ACG, I'll take Myth any day. Symbols, once learned, rapidly accelerate gameplay. Its no more a barrier to entry than learning the rules. You learn both together and you're done.

That's odd. I didn't have any issue learning PACG. I don't actually remember a lot of iconography in it, most cards use words to say what they do (though there are issues with some of the wordings, obviously). Do you mean that rather than the text of PACG, you'd rather see the iconography of Myth?

Man, I'm all for reading over icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.