Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Tokaido but have read and watched video reviews. We like light to medium weight games. Dominion, King of Tokyo, One Night Ultimate Werewolf. I am not a huge fan of 7 Wonders because of the endless icons. Tokaido uses icons but they seem much more limited and more intuitive.

If I am going to get Tokaido now is the time with the KickStarter ending in six days.

Is there enough game here? Is it fun? Worth $115?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was me, if I wasn't sure, I would not pay 115 dollars (for any game).

As it is, I love the game and so I am excited by this opportunity to bling out my copy (I, too, like light to medium games).

An idea might be to back at the Yakuza level (75$). You get the same game, really. True, you don't get the minis painted, and you only get the minis for 16 of the 32 characters and no promos, but you essentially get the same awesome game experience.
Looking at your "name" though, this might not be a route you would be comfortable going ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I am not a huge fan of 7 Wonders because of the endless icons. Tokaido uses icons but they seem much more limited and more intuitive.

I can answer this part for you: the icons are quite intuitive and nothing like Seven Wonders. Straight forward and clear. I've played this game with my daughters and I don't recall a single question on icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I've never played Tokaido but have read and watched video reviews. We like light to medium weight games. Dominion, King of Tokyo, One Night Ultimate Werewolf. I am not a huge fan of 7 Wonders because of the endless icons. Tokaido uses icons but they seem much more limited and more intuitive.

If I am going to get Tokaido now is the time with the KickStarter ending in six days.

Is there enough game here? Is it fun? Worth $115?

I would strongly suggest you play it before you sink $115 for the collectors edition.

I played Tokaido for the first time this week and it's a nice light game but I cannot see spending that type of money for a collectors edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as you are. I don't want to plunk down so much cash without knowing how it plays first. It sure is purdy though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original game is already very beautiful. You might just get that.

But for the base game and the expansion (which is included in the Collector's Edition), you would probably be looking at 50-60 bucks anyway, so the Yakuza pledge level is actually a really good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
It depends how much you like Bauza/the theme/light games/elegant simplicity/eye candy.
I presume that you have read the rules? You seem have a fair few games in your collection, if the rules appeal and you have some disposable income then maybe you're away.
I have no disposable income but I am in big because I like its deceptively simplistic subtle mild gameplay, my favourite artist is Yoshida Hiroshi and favourite videogame is Okami (not barring Baldurs Gate or the Thief Series).
I like the fact that it feels like a non-competitive competition. Also the trailing player movement thing, the single track, differing set dynamics.
It is pretty zen (small 'z')
Naïade's charicaturey art is great. There's some good french talent out there at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian S.
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just because of how Funforge deals with legitimate complains of their customers I would neither get it nor support them. See the Canadian backer thread on these forums here if you need more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because YOUR complaint wasn't addressed the way you wanted it to be, doesn't mean they didn't address it. They did respond, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian S.
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They gave ALL Canadians the finger. Read up on facts before you jump in to defend someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The OP is from Indiana, USA, so Canadian duties and fees aren't relevant to this discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Killerkarpfen wrote:
Just because of how Funforge deals with legitimate complains of their customers I would neither get it nor support them. See the Canadian backer thread on these forums here if you need more info.

They said they'd address it. RELAX, they have a game company to run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Killerkarpfen wrote:
They gave ALL Canadians the finger. Read up on facts before you jump in to defend someone.

What they're doing is trying to work out a better solution for Canada. They don't owe you a personal email or phone call because you want to complain. Again, they have a game company to run that consists of more than just keeping YOU updated with every business transaction they're handling. They've mentioned more than once that they are working on something. Quit throwing around accusations you know nothing about.

For a game of Zen, I've seen way too much spite from people. Always remember, buying a boardgame is a first world luxury and at no time do you have to spend your money. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Zero. I am at work, or I would have been on earlier to say the same thing.

Just wait, Funforge will figure out a new method for Canada, and this same guy will say that he still won't back it because of the way HE was treated.

What happened to geeks having faith in geeks trying to do right by each other? Wow.

I've seen and done some pretty cool things on this board in the name of loving games, but I've also seen some of the craziest insane attacks on people and companies here as well. HQ25th is a great example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
Yeh, I'm with you guys, way too much jumped-up vitriol floating around this KS. Reminds me of teenagers playing Call of Duty sometimes.
It's difficult for people to set up and run a company. Most people in this industry aren't greedy, I'm sure there are some but most people are helpful and in this instance very busy and trying to do the right thing. I'm sure Funforge have seen a bit of a success over the past few years and this title has helped out a lot no doubt. To right off a nation like Canada with quite a lot of financial clout is commercially pretty stupid so even if they were the worst people in the world they are unlikely to not be trying their best to work out some solution. The logistics of this kind of thing and organisation is not an easy task. In the meantime you have 3000+ potential people wittering in your earhole from both poles about the gamut of details of the product whilst you number crunch and liase. In the absence of instant product people seem to want digital updates all of the time.
I think it should be measured and pretty laid back, as and when, it's nice to have reassurance and input but there is a natural pace.
That said it is a finite window of backing and people have to make decisions.

Mountains out of molehills.
What would it be like to go and live in one of the real hellholes on Earth for a year or 2 then come back and buy a boardgame, if you could even stomach the triviality by comparision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need convincing huh...

If you don't buy this game the Yakuza will hunt you down no matter where you are. They will make you cut off one of your own fingers as an apology for not buying this game sooner.

I understand it sucks playing a game with missing fingers.

Convinced yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:
Need convincing huh...

If you don't buy this game the Yakuza will hunt you down no matter where you are. They will make you cut off one of your own fingers as an apology for not buying this game sooner.

Convinced yet?

That might have done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
there
that's what you wanted all along, problem solved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rob nawa wrote:
Yeh, I'm with you guys, way too much jumped-up vitriol floating around this KS. Reminds me of teenagers playing Call of Duty sometimes.

PWNed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:
Need convincing huh...

Convinced yet?

I'm convinced. In at Samurai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not in. It obviously a good price for everything you're getting. Money isn't a huge issue. Just don't know if I'll like the game. Love those minis though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I'm still not in. It obviously a good price for everything you're getting. Money isn't a huge issue. Just don't know if I'll like the game. Love those minis though.

Give it a try on BoardGameArena. You can try out the base (recommended) and then go ahead and add all the expansions/variants. I really enjoy the game on BGA and play a game just about nightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just don't know if I'll like the game.

But what about all your "other" games you play with 10 fingers? You like playing that way don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad. I don't really know if I will like the game either. My guess is that I will.

My Wife is from Tokyo and I am thinking I can actually play a game with her. Plus, Japan is pretty unique culture wise so I think I will be kept entertained by getting what I hope will be a piece of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Powers

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
There is a site called Board Game Arena that allows you to play Tokaido online against other people and is free to join. I joined yesterday to give the game a whirl, so maybe that could be something you look at doing to try it before deciding. It definitely convinced me to make the investment, the game play is great and I can see all of the people I play with enjoying it (both light gamers and heavy gamers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.