Carl Sonson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoying “The Hunters” immensely, having played eight campaigns each with a different type of U-Boat so that I could assimilate all the rules and see how the boats different capabilities worked. I have had few real problems with the rules managing to sort out any issues with the help of BGG. But in my current incarnation I had a situation which I resolved my own way but I would like my fellow “Hunters” to advise on.

I am on a Minelaying Mission to British Isles, July 1940 in a Type VII A. I passed through the Bay of Biscay ok but in the following Transit box I rolled up an Aircraft Encounter. I rolled a 6 on [A1] Aircraft Encounter Table for the Encounter. I did not apply the “-1 modifier for (M) or (A) Type Patrol Assignments” as listed on the chart as I was not in my Mission box yet.

The rest of the Patrol went without incident; I laid my mines, had no other encounters and started my Transits back. This time I rolled up an aircraft encounter in the Bay of Biscay and again rolled a 6 on the [A1] Aircraft Encounter Table. Again I did not apply the -1 modifier.

My question: Does this -1 modifier apply to ALL aircraft encounters on a (M) or (A) mission or just during the Mission turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Carl
Germany
Friedberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The modifier applies just to encounters during the mission turn as you are considered to operate in shallow waters.

See [7.4.3]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably already know, this, but July 1940 is, I believe, too early to roll on the special 'Bay of Biscay' table, as the U-boats were not yet based on the French coast. Edited for faulty memory, see below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually July 1940 is when you are supposed to start using the Bay of Biscay (see 7.3.8).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for setting me straight, John. I shouldn't post when I'm thousands of miles away from my copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Sonson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Korsun wrote:
The modifier applies just to encounters during the mission turn as you are considered to operate in shallow waters.

See [7.4.3]

Thanks, Christopher. You are SO correct; I even had that phrase underlined in my rules. Happy hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.