Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Bruges» Forums » General

Subject: Is this supposed to be a tight game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jun Wei
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is my first post on BBG but I have some opinions to throw out on this game.

I have played bruges (which happens to be also my first Feld game) a total of 3 times over the weekend (albeit with slight misinterpretations of the rules). I did not expect myself to like this game but I kind of like how luck was mixed in the correct proportion, making it possible for my less-strategic wife to be on par with me.

I have also found the 'make-do-with-what-you-have' so exciting but, perhaps in due time, frustrating too as I found myself drawing hands of only 2 colours on some rounds.

More plays would probably shed more light on this game but as it stands, it is a wife-and-I-approved-to-keep game in my collection.

So my question is, has anyone found the game to be artificially tight? I realised that my games with my wife and sister-in-law have always been so tight when it comes to scoring but it has been an exciting ride nonetheless. Or is it just a mere coincidence?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
our games are usually very tight, too, even some ties, but i just think it's due to points being very hard to come by. i like that kind of competition. it's like Walnut Grove in that way which is another favorite.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be, but I've had games where we were blown out of the water by a wide margin (90 versus 50's)...so it CAN snowball..but in general the scores are closer than that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
It can be, but I've had games where we were blown out of the water by a wide margin (90 versus 50's)...so it CAN snowball..but in general the scores are closer than that.


90 ! That's a pretty high score for Bruges, we usually barely reach the 50 mark.

I always play with 4, is 90 a 4-player score ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a 3 player score. Our opponent had practically as perfect a game as you can get, and yes we already used the revised Engraver rules...

Just checked my plays (have played it 5 times so far) and 4 were with 3P and 1 with 4P. The 4P game had the winners (it was a tie, broken only by money) at 44 points. The 3P games had 1 game with 91 as the high score, 63 in one game, and 54 and 51 in the others.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jun Wei
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
our games are usually very tight, too, even some ties, but i just think it's due to points being very hard to come by. i like that kind of competition. it's like Walnut Grove in that way which is another favorite.



yah I agree on the competition the game puts you in. it can be such an exciting ride. While the luck element is there, it is not so heavy for me that it may lead to a runaway leader problem I feel.

Wraith75 wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
It can be, but I've had games where we were blown out of the water by a wide margin (90 versus 50's)...so it CAN snowball..but in general the scores are closer than that.


90 ! That's a pretty high score for Bruges, we usually barely reach the 50 mark.

I always play with 4, is 90 a 4-player score ?


wow! 90, that is a huge lead. ok 50 will be my target this week then. And will definitely be trying out other Feld games in the near future. (Castles of Burgundy and Glass Road still waiting in shrink)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass road isn't from Feld but I bet you will like it if you enjoy Bruges. Both quick games in which you optimize and combo what you have in front of you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Our plays are usually fairly close averaging slightly higher than 50 pts. At larger player counts we've seen close finishes with an occasional winner by 10 pts.

meeple Keep playing...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jun Wei
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
Glass road isn't from Feld but I bet you will like it if you enjoy Bruges. Both quick games in which you optimize and combo what you have in front of you.


Thanks for the correction, this is what happens when I try to post past bedtime haha

Will definitely try more plays next weekend.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We also seem to have pretty close games as well. 3 players - normally mid 50s seems to be good enoug to win. I think someone got to 62 or 64 in one game. We have had a couple of very close games 50, 50, 49 or thereabouts.

Played around 8 games. Obviously how tightly you play the majority aspects might keep the score down for all players. We tend to be pretty watchful on those, so 8 points on majorities is good normally.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.