Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Heroes Unite» Forums » General

Subject: Enough With the Promos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I refused to purchase the original DC Comics Deckbuilding game due to Martian Manhunter being a promo that was going for $20 on the secondary market. My wife ended up secretly purchasing the game and card for my b-day and I about had a heart attack when she told me how much she paid for the card.

I then preordered Heroes United from my FLGS Coliseum of Comics who assured me this time around they would be getting the Promo Card Starfire. I got my call from 2 different stores that the game was in, no promo card at either store.
They knew about it and stated none of their stores got it and were trying to figure out from their distributor what happened.

I know from a friend working at another LGS that his boss just took the previous promo and sold JJ on the secondary market. The cards never even made it to the customers. I didn't even bother with them.

I saw the game on Amazon depicting Starfire as one of the cards in the spread and figured they had it packaged with the game. I purchased and....Nope. No card.

I did attempt to go to the cryptozoic website several times to preorder the game and it was never available for preorder when I looked. The game release dates got pushed back and I lost track of the game due to life in general. By the time I got the calls from my FLGS, it was obviously too late to preorder from Crypto.

Why do I feel like with Promo cards I am being punished for buying the game? Whatever the intention is, anything promo seems to frustrate the buyer who doesn't get it for whatever reason. I dumped my preorder at 2 different stores and completely refused to buy a game. I guess that is what the game creators want us to go through?





8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also frustrated by Cryptozoic, and the lack of Promo cards in store.
I love both games and demo them as much as possible yet I feel The game is incomplete without Starfire in the mix. I'm not as worried about the Villian, (forget who he is), but having the asymetricality of the boxed sets bothers me at a core level.

It wasn't an issue when we had a Cryptozoic rep down here in San Antonio, but alas he is in England with his future bride, and will be for years to come.

Hopefully a great company like Cryptozoic will step up to the plate and take care of business.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should put some of the promos in the BGG store. Even if they were 6 months after realease.whistle just my 2 cents.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the games and I hope not too many people refrain from buying them because of promo availability. However, I agree with sentiments above. Just continue to make great games, and don't bother with promos.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
We are soon going to be using a new system of promo distribution that will ensure they will always be where they are supposed to be. The current method has not been working well enough to continue with it.
We hear ya, and are making a change.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to see the Box Hunter Code used in some way (maybe along with a Brick and Mortar receipt) for some sort of mail-away redemption.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schrock
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That sad to hear that stores are selling promos that are supposed to go to the purchaser of the game. I think it's disgusting and I personally wouldn't shop at a store because of practices like that.

Glad to see Cryptozoic is changing it's policy/procedure for distribution.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wanted to pre-order the game, to get the promo (and the MM one which the gaming store I got the game from didn't have) but it was out of stock, came back in stock, and then was out of stock before I ordered it. I should have moved a little quicker, I guess - but it also shows that a lot of people want these cards and don't have them (or they are just scuzzy scalpers taking advantage of all those without the promos.)

I will buy this game if/when a game store around me has the promo, but without it, I'm not spending my money. So the lack of a promo has lost at least two sales so far. I'm with ya, OP!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game and have never even thought twice about JJ or the new one. IMHO it isn't affecting the game in any way for me and my family.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Starfire Promo has sold for as much as $50 on ebay. I wouldn't be shocked if some stores are holding them out and re-selling them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
docgeo1 wrote:
I love the game and have never even thought twice about JJ or the new one. IMHO it isn't affecting the game in any way for me and my family.


Yep. It's just an obsessive compulsive disorder where some gamers just HAVE to have every promotional item out there. If they never knew the cards existed, they'd buy the game and have a good time, but somehow not owning everything totally taints their experience. Their loss.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Fox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
The Starfire Promo has sold for as much as $50 on ebay. I wouldn't be shocked if some stores are holding them out and re-selling them.


I posted it in other topic on this board, but I know there is a store based out of Florida that has been selling Felix Faust promos on eBay for $20 and they have moved at least 100 cards at this point over several listing.

I saw somewhere that if a LGS requests a kit for demo events they will send the store 20 FF, so clearly this store must just be requesting enough for multiple events and is then eBaying the stock they receive instead of giving them out to customers for participating in Demo/tourney events.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Blandino
msg tools
honestly, i rather see alternate art promos than bonus(i guess that's what these are) card promos.
Ill never be able to receive these cards to add to my game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Douglas
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with others, I am in an area that does not have a local store and also tried multiple times to preorder from Cryptozoic's website before giving up and pre-ordering from another vendor. I contacted Cryptozoic with my pre-order and was advised my purchase does not qualify for the promo. Now I have the option of playing without the promos or paying the high prices on ebay. This appears to be a customer service issue as Cryptozoic states that the promos are in stores for teaching people how to play but the only requirement of the store was to buy the game and from what I am hearing, some store owners are either not providing them or did not receive them. Not that the promos are important to play but I do not see why some receive the promos and others do not when each of us pre-ordered the same game. I question a company that does strive to maintain a high level of service and provide promos for either tournament play only or if for pre-orders, to all customers that pre-order.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution is obvious to me: Sell these promos through the BGG Store for $5 for all three combined. That will kill the outrageous prices on eBay pretty quickly.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Phillips
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I would be happy to edit your rulebook, cards, and other text and/or write flavor text for you.
badge
Buster Keaton, The Great Stone Face
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dimedrl wrote:
[q="MajorOracle"]
I posted it in other topic on this board, but I know there is a store based out of Florida that has been selling Felix Faust promos on eBay for $20 and they have moved at least 100 cards at this point over several listing.


The culprit is Learn 2 Play Games in Lutz, Florida.

This is kind of sickening, especially if these promos are being withheld from players so that a supposedly reputable store can scalp these items (which I believe I read are provided by Alliance for FREE to stores).

I have been working my tail off trying to get a local gaming store to host an event. The closest store said they would do if they or I could generate the interest (which is not easy because it is a small store that also sells video games and DVDs and the only dedicated gaming seems to be a weekly Magic TG event). I found a second store a little farther away (with a much more dedicated gaming base) that said he immediately put in an order with Alliance but that they have been extremely unreliable as a distributor in his experience.

It annoys me to no end that I am TRYING to drum up support for this game that I love (and that I have spent more money on then necessary in order to order directly from Cryptozoic and receive promos when I could have ordered for $20 cheaper from Amazon) but am NOT being rewarded while stores like Learn 2 Play are milking the system and taking advantage of gamers by selling cards they got for free (and far more than their fair share) for far more than they are worth.

Matt, can't Cryptozoic do anything about this?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Fox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geigersplat wrote:
dimedrl wrote:
[q="MajorOracle"]
I posted it in other topic on this board, but I know there is a store based out of Florida that has been selling Felix Faust promos on eBay for $20 and they have moved at least 100 cards at this point over several listing.


The culprit is Learn 2 Play Games in Lutz, Florida.

This is kind of sickening, especially if these promos are being withheld from players so that a supposedly reputable store can scalp these items (which I believe I read are provided by Alliance for FREE to stores).

I have been working my tail off trying to get a local gaming store to host an event. The closest store said they would do if they or I could generate the interest (which is not easy because it is a small store that also sells video games and DVDs and the only dedicated gaming seems to be a weekly Magic TG event). I found a second store a little farther away (with a much more dedicated gaming base) that said he immediately put in an order with Alliance but that they have been extremely unreliable as a distributor in his experience.

It annoys me to no end that I am TRYING to drum up support for this game that I love (and that I have spent more money on then necessary in order to order directly from Cryptozoic and receive promos when I could have ordered for $20 cheaper from Amazon) but am NOT being rewarded while stores like Learn 2 Play are milking the system and taking advantage of gamers by selling cards they got for free (and far more than their fair share) for far more than they are worth.

Matt, can't Cryptozoic do anything about this?


I second this entire post. Gotta be honest here, I'm getting tired of trying to convince my local store to carry the game only to have the weekly Magic tournaments overshadow room and bury the pushing I've done for DC DBG.

It's getting to the point that Learn 2 Play's greedy listing is starting to look reasonable. $20 so I can stop hitting my head against the proverbial wall that is Magic at the local game store may be worth it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Douglas
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Darth Ed, I would love to see them in the BGG Store.
Matt please let us know what the current and future plans are to correct this problem. Will the current promos be available somewhere else or will there be changes to the requirements where you must pre-purchase upcoming releases?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wendt
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me happy that my local store is not like that (401 Games in Toronto.) They even gave me a free MM card a few weeks after buying the original game when I noticed it stuck on a card game that I could have bought instead. Starfire also easily came free from them. Now for Felix Faust ... which I am pretty sure has not been released at all in Canada.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wendt
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dimedrl wrote:
geigersplat wrote:
dimedrl wrote:
[q="MajorOracle"]
I posted it in other topic on this board, but I know there is a store based out of Florida that has been selling Felix Faust promos on eBay for $20 and they have moved at least 100 cards at this point over several listing.


The culprit is Learn 2 Play Games in Lutz, Florida.

This is kind of sickening, especially if these promos are being withheld from players so that a supposedly reputable store can scalp these items (which I believe I read are provided by Alliance for FREE to stores).

I have been working my tail off trying to get a local gaming store to host an event. The closest store said they would do if they or I could generate the interest (which is not easy because it is a small store that also sells video games and DVDs and the only dedicated gaming seems to be a weekly Magic TG event). I found a second store a little farther away (with a much more dedicated gaming base) that said he immediately put in an order with Alliance but that they have been extremely unreliable as a distributor in his experience.

It annoys me to no end that I am TRYING to drum up support for this game that I love (and that I have spent more money on then necessary in order to order directly from Cryptozoic and receive promos when I could have ordered for $20 cheaper from Amazon) but am NOT being rewarded while stores like Learn 2 Play are milking the system and taking advantage of gamers by selling cards they got for free (and far more than their fair share) for far more than they are worth.

Matt, can't Cryptozoic do anything about this?


I second this entire post. Gotta be honest here, I'm getting tired of trying to convince my local store to carry the game only to have the weekly Magic tournaments overshadow room and bury the pushing I've done for DC DBG.

It's getting to the point that Learn 2 Play's greedy listing is starting to look reasonable. $20 so I can stop hitting my head against the proverbial wall that is Magic at the local game store may be worth it.


Magic is a double edged sword though, it also generates enough revenue that the stores stay in business.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stone
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I agree with all of this.

Cyptozoic - please print a bunch of these and out them in the BGG store, sooner rather than later. And obviously any store caught selling them on Ebay should no longer be allowed to request promos.

-Matt
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.