Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore» Forums » General

Subject: Integrate or segregate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read a lot of people are looking forward to FS because it will add variety to the encounter deck.

Does this mean that most of you are planning to permanently incorporate the FS decks with the EH base decks? On the one hand I agree it will be nice to boost variety, and I'll probably always play using the expansion anyway until the next one comes out.

On the other hand, with AH I like to only incorporate expansions when I use them in order to bring out a certain theme, and also for a bit of longer-term variety (ie if I want to have an other world GOO battle I have to play Curse of the Dark Pharoah).

Maybe it will depend on how many yig-themed encounters are in the expansion.

So do you think you'll incorporate the new expansion permanently or keep it separate for when the mood strikes you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it'll matter, unlike with AH.

The Yig-specific cards will be the Research and Mystery cards which will be used with Yig as the AO only. The rest are just adding more variety to the existing cards.

The Arkham issue of dilution should not be an issue with Eldritch since all of the AO-specific cards are in their own decks, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:

The Yig-specific cards will be the Research and Mystery cards which will be used with Yig as the AO only. The rest are just adding more variety to the existing cards.

The Arkham issue of dilution should not be an issue with Eldritch since all of the AO-specific cards are in their own decks, anyway.

Pretty much. Unless they start adding in additional boards, I'm not anticipating many problems with card dilution. If they add in additional boards, it will depend on how they do it-- and personally, I hope that any additional boards are Ancient One specific-- that is, you only use them if a certain Ancient One requires it as part of setup.

One thing I think they missed-- which I would love to see-- is Ancient One specific mythos cards. In addition to the current set of yellow, green, and blue mythos cards, have some that are, say, red-- but each AO has his set of, say, eight mythos cards, and the deck composition for each phase would be X yellow, Y green, Z blue, and Ω red. This would require a bit of retrofitting for existing AOs, but it would add a considerable amount of flavor. I mean, why isn't there a mythos card for Cthulu that adds an eldritch token or two to random water spaces? It seems like the perfect thing for a mythos card to have happen. Additionally, it would allow the designers to customize the start-of-mythos actions a bit more. Have an Ancient one who specializes in monsters and gates, but rapid doom track advancement isn't the thing? No problem, simply have his mythos events be gate spawn, monster surge, and clue tokens-- but no omen advancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Encounter cards will probably integrate the new conditions (poisoned and lost in time and space) but I dont see any reason not to play with those with the rest of GOOs either. So I am also of the opinion that at least this expansion is for complete integrate, not adding any specific new mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Coren wrote:

Pretty much. Unless they start adding in additional boards, I'm not anticipating many problems with card dilution. If they add in additional boards, it will depend on how they do it-- and personally, I hope that any additional boards are Ancient One specific-- that is, you only use them if a certain Ancient One requires it as part of setup.

One thing I think they missed-- which I would love to see-- is Ancient One specific mythos cards. In addition to the current set of yellow, green, and blue mythos cards, have some that are, say, red-- but each AO has his set of, say, eight mythos cards, and the deck composition for each phase would be X yellow, Y green, Z blue, and Ω red. This would require a bit of retrofitting for existing AOs, but it would add a considerable amount of flavor. I mean, why isn't there a mythos card for Cthulu that adds an eldritch token or two to random water spaces? It seems like the perfect thing for a mythos card to have happen. Additionally, it would allow the designers to customize the start-of-mythos actions a bit more. Have an Ancient one who specializes in monsters and gates, but rapid doom track advancement isn't the thing? No problem, simply have his mythos events be gate spawn, monster surge, and clue tokens-- but no omen advancement.

That's actually a really good idea, but I don't see them doing it simply because it would require reprinting the AO sheets. I'm sure there's a way to do it with reprinting them, but I don't see them doing that (whatever "that" is) either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how H.P. Lovecraft would feel about it (I hold onto the hope that his views would have mellowed if he'd lived a few decades longer), but I've chosen integration over segregation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Beery wrote:
Not sure how H.P. Lovecraft would feel about it (I hold onto the hope that his views would have mellowed if he'd lived a few decades longer), but I've chosen integration over segregation.

I've even went the other direction, as someone that wanted to experience first I actually thinned the other decks to see what it has to offer, so I segregated in reverse couple of times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beery wrote:

I see what you did there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.