Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Programa Educativo Sua Vez
badge
:)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, I've had one of those stupid endless discussions with a good friend of mine, and we decided to proof it here:

Do you guys think Machi Koro is an improved Catan or do you think it's just too different to be compared like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a much better game than Catan. They share some mechanics. An argument can be made to compare the two, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading is a huge piece of Catan. Only thing similar is that the die rolls activate things. If you dislike trading, I would guess Machi Koro would be preferred...:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan has multiple currencies and trading, MK is more a straight up race. I'd prefer to play MK because it is so fast. Catan has more depth and more feeling of construction one you've built a network.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard this comparison several times but I've never felt any similarity whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Improved' is a subjective term, but I think most would agree that MK is a distilation of Catan along one axis -- the resource allocation and collection mechanism. In this regard MK completely replaces 2-player Catan in my house. That is, my son and I would play 2p Catan for a quick, luck-o-the-roll game, but whereas that would take 30-45 minutes, MK has the same feel for 1/3-1/2 of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
If by improved you mean, "is fun to play" then yes it is a better game than Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I can't really compare the two directly. Catan is a very different game.

I can tell you that Machi Koro is a very fun, exciting game on the border of dice-chucking good times and strategy game. There's a ton of luck in the game, but there's also some strategic engine building to be had. It's a quick dice game that always has us cheering for nearly every roll.

This is a SdJ winner in the making, if you ask me (and if it qualifies). It fits that sweet spot of ease of learning, fun to play, and light strategy that suits the SdJ award.

It's a bizarre love-child of San Juan, Dominion, roulette and Settlers of Catan. But it isn't a 'better' Catan, there isn't really enough overlap to compare them directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Larry. It's much worse because there is no trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsukumo wrote:
Hi guys, I've had one of those stupid endless discussions with a good friend of mine, and we decided to proof it here:

Do you guys think Machi Koro is an improved Catan or do you think it's just too different to be compared like this?
No. It is basically as different from Catan as Catan is from Craps.

They're not remotely similar. Nor is Machi Koro remotely as good. If we're still playing Machi Koro 20 years from now, come find me. I'll be immensely surprised by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smalley
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsukumo wrote:

Is it an improved Catan? No. I think Helvetia is the "improved Catan". With Machi Koro having just the one mechanism in common with Catan, I would hesitate to call Machi Koro an improved version.

Plus, they also differ in that while I'm playing Machi Koro I actually enjoy the experience, and do not constantly question my faith in humanity.

Oh! And then there's also the fact that Machi Koro managed to stand out among today's crowded market, as opposed to standing out among a muuuuch smaller market and then riding around on the emotional attachment provided by the nostalgia train.

Synopsis:
Improvement? Yes. Improved version? No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
England
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue it manages to stand out largely because of its aesthetic and intrinsic Japaneseness. They have a way to make things with a unique appeal that is larger than the sum of it's parts. Tom Vasel is not immune to their magic and I am occasionally susceptible as well. Try to imagine what Pokemon looks like had it been a western game and then realize it would have been a charmless dud. The US reprint is already dramatically less appealing to me with the change in box format and addition of the large "MACHI KORO" across the front. I would bet that if it had been released looking as bland as Dominion and called "Little Town" it wouldn't be on anyones radar but the most dedicated dice chucking family gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smalley
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to disagree.

I have a very nice PnP version of the game, that really looks nothing like the original game, and all that learned of the game through my copy have loved it. (Definitely a small sample size, but certainly varied enough that I feel confident in inferring their enjoyment was due mostly to gameplay, and certainly independent of the original game's aesthetic.)

Art will certainly assist in getting a game to stand out, but it won't keep it "out".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK is more suited as a gateway game, with Catan being already an excellent gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my copy which doesn't look at all like the original game (mine has photorealistic art, instead of cutesy drawings) has people asking for more as well.

I think Machi Koro essentially got lucky. It sure helps it's a good game, and it sure helps it looks nice.

Why some games get that kind of traction, and then get more of it? I don't really know, and if somebody knew, they'd do fine in the game business using that knowledge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
MK is more suited as a gateway game, with Catan being already an excellent gateway game.

Catan used to be excellent gateway game but it has been obsoleted by other games with better-bounded play time.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.