Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just does not seem to be happening. I'd like to play games that are a little more thought provoking, but I'm getting some resistance. So, for now, it seems like I need to concentrate on introduction games and I'd love some guidance. We seem to like games that have a beauty to them. We also seem to shy away from games with a dice mechanic. Our favorites are Ticket to Ride: Europe, Carcassonne, Dominion, Lords of Waterdeep, and, to a lesser degree, Stone Age. (Yeah, I know Stone Age has dice...that's the only thing that keeps this game from being at the top of our list.) So, I'm seeking recommendations for games that are similar to those that I've listed. Also, less reliance on dice is probably a plus. Finally, I'd love any thoughts on how to help my family evolve into slightly more complex games. As always, thanks so much for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okduke wrote:
Finally, I'd love any thoughts on how to help my family evolve into slightly more complex games.

Some people simply don't want to play more complex games. Also, Suburbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
okduke wrote:
Finally, I'd love any thoughts on how to help my family evolve into slightly more complex games.

Some people simply don't want to play more complex games. Also, Suburbia.

This. I don't mean any offense but I think it's bad to try to "fix" people's interests/tastes, especially if they're already playing games with you. If they're interested then they'll come around sooner or later, but if not, you can play games with your family, which is already great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
okduke wrote:

My honest advice to you is to abandon this as a goal. Enjoy the time you do spend gaming with them, despite the games maybe not being as heavy as you'd like. In the same way I do not appreciate my brother-in-law trying to not-so-subtly turn me into a vegan, people do not like being treated as pet projects. If they eventually try more complex games, it will be on their terms, on their schedules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I don't think I phrased my initial question very well. Thank you for calling me on it. Honestly, I don't mean to 'fix' anyone. My kids are practically grown so I learned of the futility of that a long time ago. I guess I mean to show them that they can do it. Some games seem way more complex than they really are. Others don't seem so complex but can get that way as you play them longer. Carcassonne is that type of game for us. Right now, we are still at the stage where we pursue what we want instead of making things difficult on other players. Maybe we'll get to that...maybe not. But this is the type of game that I'm asking about. I'd love to know about your basic games that become more complex and strategic as you play them more.

Thanks again for checking my apparent attempt to modify my family's behavior. As if! Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Gordon
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they like dominion....I would suggest DC Comics Deck-Building Game if they like Superheroes. Or The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game if they like Lord of the rings. I have friends that like LOTR and make fun of most of the games I play except for this one. Also, my brother and his girlfriend make fun of everything I play but DC deck building game because they like superheroes. My brother constantly asks to borrow the game to play when I'm busy doing other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denny Lau
United States
Shelby Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Carcassonne and Dominion expansions add new flavor to the games. I would suggest giving 7 Wonders a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you own Pandemic. Did that fail with your family? Is so, is it because they don't like co-ops or another aspect of it? I ask because I find that co-ops are an easy way to get people more into gaming, and they can often be tweaked to increase difficulty. Plus there are more difficult co-ops out there.

We're kinda right at the point where your family is right now. We just got Florenza: The Card Game, and that seems to be a bit more difficult than Stone Age (at least after 2 plays so far), but still has resource management and some worker placement feel, but with cards. And no dice at all. As usual, Rahdo has a good run through of the game.

Since you are willing to Kickstart (at least based on your TEK), we're currently backing Epic Resort. I believe one of the reviewers labelled it as "gateway plus," and it has a very fun light theme which could help your family feel like it's not at all difficult.

Relatedly, is there a particular theme that would appeal to your family that would intrigue them enough to invest the extra effort? That was what I was told - relax about going deeper into games until there's a game that I want to play enough that I'm willing to invest the work.

This thread seems relevant to your needs:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1138134/clear-and-simple-rul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Revolution! - the simple rules reveal a suprisingly deep game one you start playing, and there's no dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra is another good option for where they are right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple games that allow for skilled play...
I think Callisto: The Game is worth a look.
Also Fairy Tale.
And someone recommended Alhambra. I played only the digital version a few times, but also I think it is worth a look.
Ah! For an atypical co-op, Hanabi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I am catching your drift. Simple rules, deep strategy, right?

May I suggest Airlines: Europe by the same designer as TtR?

The rules are fairly simple still. You essentially only have 4 different actions you can do on your turn (1 more than Ttr). But it packs a metric ton more strategy than Ticket to Suicide (from Boredom) could ever dream of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gert74 wrote:
I think I am catching your drift. Simple rules, deep strategy, right?

May I suggest Airlines: Europe by the same designer as TtR?

The rules are fairly simple still. You essentially only have 4 different actions you can do on your turn (1 more than Ttr). But it packs a metric ton more strategy than Ticket to Suicide (from Boredom) could ever dream of.

I agree with this assessment. It looks like you are trying to find games with emergent gameplay and pretty bits. I would consider..
Clans (or pretty much anything by Leo Colovini)
Tongiaki: Journey into the Unknown
Divinare
or (if card games would work) Palastgeflüster

I will also say that there are a ton of family friendly gateway games that are both really fun and satisfying. These are favorites with my family, who would hardly classify themselves as hardcore gamers
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Bohnanza
One Night Ultimate Werewolf

And I know you said to stay away from dice, but there are some games that I think you should consider. The dice work as another implement to the theme (usually risk management or pushing your luck)
Lords of Vegas
Las Vegas
Long Shot

Good luck with your search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is against dice? You or the family?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Keltis or Lost Cities enough hand management for interesting choices enough player interaction for some angst.
Spyrium may be a bit fiddly there are a few too many fringe rules, but the core is fairly simple.
Bohnanza is usually a hit with almost any group.
Ingenious mutiplayer abstract.
RoboRally more chaos, but fun

as a general rule alea has a great line of rules light deep gameplay type games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What don't you all like about dice? Is it the randomness it introduces? Or the physical act of rolling?

If it's the randomness part, I'd recommend Castles of Burgundy. It's a small step up from what your plans in terms of complexity, but there is a lot more strategy. There are dice, but there are really no bad rolls. They just allow you to do different things, which are either good or great. Really no direct interaction and no conflict. It seems to go over well with wives and families.

7 Wonders is also a great pick, if you're playing with at least 3. Best with 4,but still good with 5/6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Rampage is hilarious fun. Not huge in the depth department, but super high in fun and some strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my three sons have issues with dice. Generally, this is related a game where the dice were not nice to them. We'd loved Stone Age until he had a terrible game rolling for resources. Now, I can't seem to get him to play it. Another son had a similar issue with Kingsburg. Castles of Burgundy does sound good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something to try. If you find a game that you are interested in asking them to try, first show them Rahdo's video of it. His attitude is so infectious that his videos make people curious to try the game. Even if you can only get one or two others to watch the first video part and his final thoughts, you'll probably gain some allies to help get the game onto the table to try it.

More game ideas:
Biblios
Blokus

+1 for 7 Wonders, Bohnanza, Pandemic, Hanabi and Airlines Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic for sure. Everyone in my family loves it. This may be kind of a strange suggestion but I'd suggest Caverna when it's re-released. I really don't think its that complicated of a game. It's pretty much a worker placement with no dice, and you play Stoneage so i think it would work well. Both my and my wife's mother love it. We just play on the easier setting when they are here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
+1 for The Castles of Burgundy

I played my first game last night. When I played Agricola I found it to be a miserable experience, I always seemed to be merely picking the least worst action every round. In CoB I actually felt like I was moving ahead with every choice, and due to the way the dice are used you're not having to mitigate 'bad' rolls (they're used to help limit player confrontation so no cries of 'You screwed me on purpose!). It's a good price too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

+1 CoB

Also there's a mechanism to adjust your dice rolls, so it's not a completely random dice chucker. If the dice are hating you, you can do something about it.

Check out videos by JPlay, Drive Through Review, and Rahdo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bicky N
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Caverna and emphasis the cute meeples, fun mechanics, and the fact that you essentially building/decorating a nice cavern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.