Subject: [Solo] Dawn of the Zeds or Mage Knight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys I am struggling brain.

Which of these two games is the deepest and most fun to play in solo?

Mage Knight Board Game
Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Copenhaver
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Dawn of the Zeds (First edition), but I thoroughly enjoy Mage Knight Board Game. It's great solo or with a group. The base game has plenty to offer a solo player, and the expansion, Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion, adds an amazing variant for any number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very different games.

Mage Knight is a Hand-management Euro where you're given a land to explore, much of it shrouded with fog (until you explore it), and you puzzle your way through how best to use your hand to advance, level up, gain followers, and outright destroy enemies, all while managing your fame. Despite its pretty looks (cards, map, etc) and the way I just described it, the theme does not come through except on an abstract level. The game is a puzzle Euro and I LOVE it because it's the only Euro I've played solitaire that doesn't feel lacking by myself. The choices are as interesting as those you'd make in any multiplayer hand-management Euro. Watch Ricky Royal's video series of the walkthrough and (optionally) his solo conquest, gives you a great idea of the interesting choices that come up.

Meanwhile Dawn of the Zeds is the complete opposite end of the spectrum. It's totally a thematic game. As a puzzly strategic game, it falls short because the dice and card draw odds are not in your favor. HOWEVER, especially with the latest map, the game just feels good (and I'm saying this as someone who prefers strategy). Everything in the game is thematically sound. For example, the game has people that are infected and hide it, chaos zones and restoring order, supplies/ammo usage, raiders (ie humans that take advantage of the breakdown in order), a great combat chart, hospitals and wounded, researching cures, etc.

The main focus is the beleaguered small town of Farmingdale, with the roads leading out from it which is where the zeds are coming. The pieces you control are mainly trained professionals (military, sherrif, gun-nut, scientists, etc) and brave civilians who step up to defend their town as best as possible until the military arrives. I love the classic scenario narrative more but the full game (which includes elements like a mad scientist and super-zeds) has better mechanics, imo. If you like the ride this takes you on, you'll enjoy it.

Very different games that scratch very different itches. As more of a thinky-type, I prefer Mage Knight but DotZ does sit proudly on my shelf..... though I do need to write a player aid for it. Both games have very confusing rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.