Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, however most of the time I meet to play games there are only 3 of us.

I've not tried with 3 yet, but a lot of people say this doesn't work very well with 3.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that might be worth trying with 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 3 your best bet might be Nexus Ops or Neuroshima Hex! 3.0. Nexus Ops is a 2-4 player game that seems like a typical battle game. You generate income by holding onto factory areas. You then buy units using those funds, each unit having particular strengths and weaknesses. The real key here is that you win by gathering 12 points, but do so by completing missions. At the end of your turn, you'll get a mission card that will say something like "Kill another player's Dragon to get 4 points."

Neuroshima Hex is also a fun little game that takes a very small amount of time. You have a headquarters that you can place anywhere on a very small map. On your turn, you place up to 2 tiles on the board which can be fighters or support tiles. Fighters do a certain amount of damage, attack at a certain speed and are either ranged or melee. With 3 players, I tend to play a mode called Hunter where your goal is to kill the person to your left in order to win.

These are my recommendations for a 3 player combat oriented game. Nexus Ops feels like a slimmed version of older war-games like Axis & Allies because it has unique units and an income system. The goal cards makes it easier for players to focus on what they need to do. Neuroshima Hex is a game I really like because it's fast to play and great with 2-4 players. It is completely a tactical game however as what you get on your turn is completely random.

For my 3 player purposes, I play Rex: Final Days of an Empire because that game is my favorite and Puzzle Strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it with 3 and it will work, but not as well as with 4. In a 3-player game, no one plays Khorne. He is just too powerful with only 2 other Powers to balance him out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Blood Bowl Team Manager feels a lot like a card-game version of Chaos in the Old World (same Universe, try to "win/dominate" "regions", asymmetric factions, the upgrade cards, etc.). It works great with 3, though it's a bit lighter than Chaos.

Also, I suspect that Chaos might play a little better with 3 with the expansion, especially if you cherry pick the factions, though I haven't tested that theory extensively
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed the expansion would make it worse, as it's geared at 5 players?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Strongly agree with Blood Bowl Team Manager. FFG should have named it Chaos in the Old World: The Card Game.

Disagree with excluding Khorne: he gets weaker with fewer players putting targets out to kill. If forced to play with 3, I'd try removing Slaanesh since their abilities seem the least 'core' (heroes and nobles impact the game regardless, and they are turtle-y).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.