Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the strategic bombing condition, am I correct that if, on turn 9, the allies fail their strategic bombing roll, they have lost the game? That is the first turn they get a B-29, and they only get one. In future turns, if they've set themselves up correctly, they'll get two cracks at the bombing roll, but on turn 9 only 1. I just wanted to make sure I'm reading that correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombing only fails on a 9. And then you know you need to force the surrender of Japan to win, with four turns left to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Bombing only fails on a 9. And then you know you need to force the surrender of Japan to win, with four turns left to go.

Yes, I know it's a 1-10 chance, I don't have an issue with it, just making sure I was interpreting correctly. I also hadn't correctly understood the Japan surrenders rule, so thanks for pointing that out to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
As for the strategic bombing condition, am I correct that if, on turn 9, the allies fail their strategic bombing roll, they have lost the game? That is the first turn they get a B-29, and they only get one. In future turns, if they've set themselves up correctly, they'll get two cracks at the bombing roll, but on turn 9 only 1. I just wanted to make sure I'm reading that correctly.

Not lost the game, but the a-bomb is delayed due to technical challenges. You can still win via blockade or invasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should take this opportunity to say that I think the victory conditions for this game are brilliantly crafted. In the design notes you wrote

Quote:
DESIGN NOTE: The most difficult part of this design was how to determine Allied victory, while still making the game interesting for the Japanese player.

I think you've done a helluva good job of doing that.

In our current game, the IJN and USN just plain slaughtered each other in the early going. As Allies, I lost a political will b/c of no carriers on the map at the end of a turn (yeah, I know, sack the admiral...). At this moment, in mid-43, Japan is down to a reduced Junyo, but the US only has a reduced Enterprise and full strength Cowpens (WIE went low early, so naval reinforcements have been delayed every turn). Starting next turn, the US will have plenty of carriers and be able to run circles around the IJN. In other Pacific War games I've played, I'd think the US was about to win easily, even with such a slow start.

In our game, I'm not so sure. Brad is a crafty player (and I am not), and he does a good job of biting at the edges against me. Even with a massively superior navy, I think I'll be stretched to be able to force Japan's surrender, if the strategic bombing goes awry. And I think that even at the Empire shrinks, Brad will still have plenty of decisions to make and ways to keep me at bay.

Anyway, in a nutshell, the VCs for this game are wicked cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

"The Allied player wins if, during the game turn 12 End Of Turn Phase, Japan has been successfully strategically bombed on four consecutive turns, has 1 or zero resource hexes, and a B29 is in range of Tokyo."

I suppose B29 in China air box is in range of Tokyo. Am I correct?

On the other hand, no Allied units can enter Manchuko. How can you reduce Japanese resources hexes to 1 or zero if the Tojo Resigns card is not played? As a Japanese player, he can always force the Allied player to take the difficult path of invasion or blockade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
joekong_hk wrote:

How can you reduce Japanese resources hexes to 1 or zero if the Tojo Resigns card is not played? As a Japanese player, he can always force the Allied player to take the difficult path of invasion or blockade.

This reflects that idea that the original commanders knew nothing about the bomb. They assumed all along that they would have to invade Japan. The player has more information, but is still in the uncomfortable position of having to plan for an invasion of Japan in case things don't work out conveniently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

jsteidl wrote:
joekong_hk wrote:

How can you reduce Japanese resources hexes to 1 or zero if the Tojo Resigns card is not played? As a Japanese player, he can always force the Allied player to take the difficult path of invasion or blockade.

This reflects that idea that the original commanders knew nothing about the bomb. They assumed all along that they would have to invade Japan. The player has more information, but is still in the uncomfortable position of having to plan for an invasion of Japan in case things don't work out conveniently.

Neither did the Japanese know about the A-bomb. laugh

What I mean is that the Japanese player has control over this victory condition. Why would he play Tojo Resigns unless he can put PoW down to zero? Either he wins or he is not going to play the card as event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joekong_hk wrote:

jsteidl wrote:
joekong_hk wrote:

Neither did the Japanese know about the A-bomb. laugh

What I mean is that the Japanese player has control over this victory condition. Why would he play Tojo Resigns unless he can put PoW down to zero? Either he wins or he is not going to play the card as event.

If the card comes into his hand in 1944 or later he has to play it as an event. And it does reduce US Political by 2, which in some situations could be a good thing for the Japanese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

fatgreta wrote:
If the card comes into his hand in 1944 or later he has to play it as an event. And it does reduce US Political by 2, which in some situations could be a good thing for the Japanese.

I understand now that the Japanese player must play Tojo Resigns as event if he draws it in 1944 or 1945. Then it is more luck dependant as this victory condition relies on playing both Tojo Resigns and Soviets Invade Manchuria in sequence. I am a novice player of EotS. May I ask if it is common that Japan lost by bombing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.