Subject: Let's start small. How are you measuring range? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the "Line of Sight and Range" section:

"Indirectly related to line-of-sight, determining the range of an attack and if a Hero needs to close the distance is performed here. Basically, if the target is in range, usually determined by the attack card, then the attack can be played."

This tells us nothing. Is range measured from the hero's square or one square in front of the hero? Or something different entirely? I've played games with a lot of variation when it comes to measuring range. So, how are others resolving this?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a quote from the rules, but I'm sure it's somewhere in there. You draw an unniterrupted line from a corner of the hero square, to a corner of the target.

Unninterrupted = doesn't go through a square with another hero, monster, red line, etc. but can touch the corner of said squares.
Exception : A red line blocks LoS even if the LoS only touches the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starts from the square in front of the Hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The origin is 0, adjacent is 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone. There will be more questions to come. We tried playing yesterday and had a ton of questions. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
I don't have a quote from the rules, but I'm sure it's somewhere in there. You draw an unniterrupted line from a corner of the hero square, to a corner of the target.

Unninterrupted = doesn't go through a square with another hero, monster, red line, etc. but can touch the corner of said squares.
Exception : A red line blocks LoS even if the LoS only touches the corner.

It seems that the question is mostly about range, but just to clarify LoS, I think this statement gives a bit more of a full description (than the rules) on LoS:
LoS can not pass through the corner of Lairs, Traps, Walls, single Monsters, or Red Realm Tile Squares. LoS can pass through the corners of two diagonally adjacent Monsters but only if one of those Monsters does not sit directly between the Hero & Monster in question. Having said that, using LoS to select targets for attacks doesn't come into play in many of the referenced situations since the card mechanics dictate attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I don't understand the answer here. But an example will clear things up for me.

Assume the hero (H) is facing the top of this page...

xAx
xHx
xBx

In this example, is the range to "A" zero or one?
Is the range to "B" one or two?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
Starts from the square in front of the Hero.

Do we calculate the range for Threat and Combat the same way? We need clarification because in the text under Check Threat Range in the rulebook states "If the cumulative Threat is equal to or greater than the number of squares between the Hero and the Monster..."

This would suggest that Threat range is shorter than Combat range. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both ranges should be calculated the same way, 1 being the square in front of the mini (hero for combat range, monster for threat range).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Edgar
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Is everything measured using diagonals?

I know you can move diagonally (for 1MP) but i want to make sure thats everything. (threat, ranged attacks, etC)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
7654321H1234567
H is the Hero
Number is the range to that square
Color is just to make it easier to read (odd numbers are red)

Anymore questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Actually, I don't understand the answer here. But an example will clear things up for me.

Assume the hero (H) is facing the top of this page...

xAx
xHx
xBx

In this example, is the range to "A" zero or one?
Is the range to "B" one or two?

Thanks!

H is 0. A and B are 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do we calculate the range for Threat and Combat the same way? We need clarification because in the text under Check Threat Range in the rulebook states "If the cumulative Threat is equal to or greater than the number of squares between the Hero and the Monster..."

This would suggest that Threat range is shorter than Combat range. Is this correct?

This was discussed in a different thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1140893/threat-range

I don’t think we’ve had an official ruling on this yet; however, the consensus here on the geek is that combat range and threat range are measured the same despite the loose language found in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.