Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.imaginarywars.com/

Just doing a google maps search, and the name IMAGINARY WARS pops up on the map.

I go to the website and see they are celebrating a two year anniversary in a couple of months. They are in a strip mall just down the street from my parents' house.

A search of BGG sees them mentioned only once. I don't imagine it is easy for them to compete with the SENTRY BOX juggernaut and I've seen a number of smaller stores come and go even despite favourable locations inside major shopping malls.

Has anyone had any experience with this one? I think I will pay them a visit this week just to see what the place is like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of them. A quick glance shows they are mainly minis. Maybe ask them for some CASLO sponsorship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I regard Tabletop gaming as minis, and board gaming as board games, but amalgamating the 2 together into "Tabletop board gaming" makes it unclear as to what they actually do. They also left out the "War" bit too. But surely worth the trip to see what it is all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gord Dickson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're a modest game store with a fair range of stuff. They also sell comics. I think their main source of revenue is Warhammer. I don't know much about Warhammer but a significant chunk of their retail space is dedicated to those minis and it's pretty normal to see guys playing the game in the store.

I don't think they're going to win any prizes for having the lowest prices but it's nice to see a game store of any sort south of downtown.

I ought to mention, since this showed up in the war games area, that there are virtually no war games in the store. At least nothing beyond Star Wars minis and games like Small World. I think the Sentry Box is the only place in Calgary that is addressing that market but I'd love to be wrong about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
El Gordo wrote:
They're a modest game store with a fair range of stuff. They also sell comics. I think their main source of revenue is Warhammer. I don't know much about Warhammer but a significant chunk of their retail space is dedicated to those minis and it's pretty normal to see guys playing the game in the store.

I don't think they're going to win any prizes for having the lowest prices but it's nice to see a game store of any sort south of downtown.

I ought to mention, since this showed up in the war games area, that there are virtually no war games in the store. At least nothing beyond Star Wars minis and games like Small World. I think the Sentry Box is the only place in Calgary that is addressing that market but I'd love to be wrong about that.

I went and took a peek. I guess wargames are about "real wars" and Imaginary Wars is just that.

It was what you fellows all described, a nice, friendly place devoted to miniatures. Some Flames of War stuff, some Warhammer, some Euros, a comic book section. Looked like a young demographic, and there were girls in the store when I walked in looking at the games, over by the Settlers of Catan and other CDG looking stuff. I browsed the shelves for five minutes and carried on with my walk.

I agree it is nice to see hobby stores outside of downtown - I also hope they do well. There is a D&D/fantasy themed place a block from where I work in the NE, but I've never had the impulse to go inside. I probably should someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.