Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
97 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: The top 100 historical wargmes depicting battles or wars before WWI : 100 Likes (Vote). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread will attempt to determine which are the top 100 hundred historical wargames that describe battles or wars which took place before the First World War.

The trigger of this idea was in relation to someone who was mentioning that "such and such" game was the best ever. We all know that such claims are simply nonsense. But we also do know that many wargames that have been created since the 1950's are way much better then others.
Approximately 10,000 wargames have been created of the past 60 years.

WW II games are vastly over-representated compared to other time-periods.
And there will be an onslaught of WW I games coming out in the near future ...

So here is my suggestion : I would invite all the people who are active on the BGG wargame sub forum to nominate games, but each game will get nominated only once. All the voters who think that this game should be considered to be part of the top 100 are invited to click on the Like button. You can vote for as many games as you like, as long as you do not vote for more then 100 games …

As we are looking for candidates that are orders of magnitude better then the rest, those games should be able to attract approximately 100 votes or more.

As you nominate a game, give as much information on the game as possible, in about 100 words, to permit a newcomer to the forum to determine if that game suits his needs or not.

From time to time, I will post an update that will include a tally of the higher voted games.

Any historical period preceding August 1914, and any scale (tactical, operational, strategic, grand strategic political, etc) can be included.

This thread is related to this geeklist.

Everyone is invited to post and vote both on the Geeklist, and also on the Forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The top 100 historical wargmes Before WWI : : 100 Likes (Vote).
Le Vol de l'Aigle

Le Vol de l’Aigle (Flight of the Eagle ) is a game simulating Napoleonic era campaigns. It is double- blind based, as the players can communicate with each other only through messages carried by the umpire. It is played on nineteenth century maps from Thier’s atlas with a quite simple system. The players are really acting the part of the general, who barely knew where the enemy, as well as his own army, were. The game needs only paper and pens, with a few dice. It is the first volume of a three-volume series eventually covering all the issues of Napoleonic warfare.

The level of complexity is Moderate-Light (same level of complexity as Combat Commander: Europe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb

Exhaustive, encyclopedic, multi-faceted, innovative, and plain awesome.

(I'll add something more substantive as soon as I'm home from Sunday errands.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I humbly nominate Imperium Romanum II:

EDITED: to comply with the OP's request of one game per post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb

I would like to nominate Crimea.

A Frank Chadwick classic covering the Crimean War, and arguably the best game on the subject. A unique system that combines tactical and strategic in one game. Contains many battles that can be played separately as well: The Battles of the Alma, Balaclava, Inkerman, Evpatoria, Tchernaya, and the Storming of the Malakov.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to nominate Great Campaigns of the American Civil War:

Really, the best operational level treatment of the American Civil War (operational level ACW games are rare, as well).

The things that make this series (and the games can be linked to play one massive campaign) great:
+ Variable activation of units instead of IGO-UGO
+ Components, especially the maps, are beautiful
+ It models exhaustion of marching/fighting troops
+ It is a decent model of the operational scale of the ACW, but is not overly complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
I humbly nominate:

ALERTE !

You can nominate as many games as you like, but only one at a time !

And, naturally, you can "like" the game you nominated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It was a revelation, combining the innovative play mechanism of Memoir '44 with a great deal of historical Ancients flavor. I'd argue this game helped rekindle interest in the Ancients' era of wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There are more detailed treatments of both battles, but not necessarily more accurate, and certainly not as much fun to play. This depiction of the battle of Roarkes Drift is my favorite in a light wargame, and I learned a fair bit about Isandlawana from this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not too many strategic level Ancients games, and this is an excellent treatment. Plus blocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

An enjoyable and very playable CDG covering the formation of the Roman Republic. It's a close race between this and Successors (third edition) as the best Ancients strategic-level CDG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A rousing retelling of the fate of Alexander's Empire after his death. More chaotic than Sword of Rome, Successors is a great deal of fun and has proven very popular since its first printing in the late 90's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The best strategic Civil war game without a doubt in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am new to the La Bataille series and this with Le Reglement des Marie-Louises rules was my introduction to it. Great way to learn the basics and it just looks amazing when you play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My favourite Gettysburg game, not that I have played a large number or even all in my collection, but I keep coming back to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The best multi-player CDG, the only drawback to the game is that getting 6 people together to play it properly over the course of a day is difficult. Well worth the time though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage. A tense CDG to decide nothing less than the fate of the Western World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bay
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I nominate Hold the Line:

This game provides the casual gamer a wonderful system, wherein he can play various battles from the American Revolution. As well, this game has now spawned a series - due to its innovative system - whereby various pre-WWI eras are represented. The novelty here is the point system where players have so many points, based on their leadership and historical circumstances, in which to lead their troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The granddaddy of the CDG, and still my favourite 2 player CDG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Bay
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I nominate Washington's War:

A great and tense CDG playable in one evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan. A fast-playing game of bluff with the best components you'll find in a wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.