Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up while playtesting with a friend. I was playing Weyland.

During my discard phase, on 3.1 I discarded down to 5 cards, and then on 3.2, I used the paid ability of Project Atlas to add a card from R&D to HQ, which brought me up to 6 cards again.

Do I keep those 6 cards, then, or do I have to discard down to 5 before my turn ends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You have to discard to your hand limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I beg to differ based upon the wording of the rules.

Specifically:

"The Corporation begins the game with a maximum hand size of five cards, but card effects can increase or decrease this limit. If the cards in HQ exceed the Corporation’s current maximum hand size at the beginning of the Discard phase, he must discard down to his maximum hand size."

Please refer to the phrase- at the beginning. This is relevant to the distinction between 3.1 (mandatory discards) and 3.2 (a paid abilities window). Therefore, since a legal paid ability was used (in this example, Project Atlas) to add an another card to the corp's hand, it should remain in the Corp's HQ.

He may keep those six cards until conditions encountered during the next turn dictate otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MHindmarch wrote:
You have to discard to your hand limit.

Wrong. You're PAST the discard step already (step 3.1). You keep the card.

Runner can do the same with Tallie Perault, Personal Workshop and Replicator, or if they're Exile, a Clone Chip.

EDIT: Haha ninja'd

Anyway, if they'd not wanted this to be possible, there'd be no paid window AFTER the discard step. There are plenty of other effects which allow you to go over limit out of normal sequence, and you only ever discard when forced by a card effect, or at the relevant step in your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks guys! I think this is gonna be really helpful knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
However, keep in mind there are several other paid ability windows after this, such as ones during the runner's turn or during runs. So you have several options for when to use paid abilities to draw cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.