United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
Query: Can the abomination have more than it's starting essence of 3?

Similarly, are encounter limited to starting values for essence in general? The Abomination and Cy (his Surge ability - "Encounter +1 Essence") have abilities that seem to allow for values above the starting ones. Just want to be sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says on page 7: "Unless otherwise specified, magi may not have more than 10 essence."
I'm pretty sure this goes for the Abomination as well. If not, then AoM encounter would be way too easy to defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
pietu85 wrote:
The rulebook says on page 7: "Unless otherwise specified, magi may not have more than 10 essence."
I'm pretty sure this goes for the Abomination as well. If not, then AoM encounter would be way too easy to defeat.

Too easy? I think it'd be way harder if AoM weren't limited as it can gain up to 3 essence a turn. With no cap, you'd have to keep serious pressure up on essence damage while also trying to destroy its harmony. With a cap, you could focus more on damaging essence and evading/shielding versus spending resources on copious amounts damage spells. I could be mistaken though...*shrug*. Appreciate the response, in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, right, I see your point!

I was thinking, it'd be too easy if the Abomination couldn't gain more essence than its starting value, 3.
Surely, the Abomination wouldn't be easy anymore if its essence cap was 10, and then even harder if there was no cap at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got you, now! Yep, I've been playing that AoM didn't have a cap. Made for a rough time (though Slow Area, The Unraveling, and Ring of Collected Haste make for a very nice combination).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher gabrielson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Greetings!

Yes Abomination of Merovech was intended to have Essence Cap 10. In the redesigned Online Encounter Manual encounter specific rules like this will be explained, since they did not make it onto the Encounters themselves.

With a 10 Essence Cap, Magi are forced to choose between keeping its Essence derived abilities 'low power' or building up the Abomination's Discord for a final blow.

The advanced version of Abomination coming once we release our bi-weekly encounter series, has NO Essence cap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shockmoth wrote:

The advanced version of Abomination coming once we release our bi-weekly encounter series, has NO Essence cap.

Bi-WEEKLY!!!!! BOO. Ya. HA VISIGOTHS!!!!

Yes, I'm excited about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.