Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this with the wife got us killed in scenario 3 in 6 tiles pretty quickly, with a BS, gargoyle, skeleton, and a Ghoul on the board at the same time. Now I as the Drakon-Warrior got killed by a red Encounter, and the wife was already dead 3 tiles away from me with only one surge token left.

The previous scenario was for no particular reason really, but this is my idea:

Stack the monster deck from top to bottom with one hit pointers on top then filter some two hit pointers in as we get to the middle of the deck then filter in the three hit pointers in the bottom third of the deck. Now I am filtering them in not just linearly going 1-2-3.

This idea seems to work i think a bit more reasonably as the lower level creatures are towards the entrance and the dungeon starts populating with harder creatures as you advance into it.

What do you fellow geeks think of my variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say fix more a variant, i've done similar in some games,

but a few things to think about

A) your xp may be low for countering latter encounters,
B) some times a hard early monster is good
1) for xp,
2) you might use a daily skill that a latter treasure will let you get back,
C) with all the small creatures at the start you may hold on to the dailies till the boss,

D) also when you get the boss instead of sometimes a respite a some little monsters, you now have all the biggest monsters in one tighter space!

E) where as if more random distribution, you could have possibly doubled back and fled one,
F) your more likely to get double activating monsters

but over all its a very enjoyable game to experiment with variants/ things like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whelp, we just tried it still lost big time angryangry

We were fighting scenario 3 with the kobald mage. I tell you what; we couldn’t make heads or tails of it on what to do when the boss is revealed.

1. Do you still take regular villain actions? This we understood to mean two tiles and two monsters a turn are getting placed; plus the kobold mage is moving ever farther away as this is happening.

2 his card says to only activate monsters that he is on. So, does this mean monsters on my tile do nothing if the kobald boss isn't on it?

In the absense of any understanding and 20 minutes of looking at everything on the bosses card to get clarity (none came) this is what we did:

we just sat that kobald in his laboratory, and just did our attack phase as normal, and just drew encounter cards during our villain phase without the shaman teleporting everywhere.....well we still lost even with nerfing the boss convoluted instructions.....crycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game and cards in front of me so take this with a pinch of salt as I'm speaking from memory.

Klak will activate during each villain phase. If no hero is on his tile, he will explore a new part of the dungeon and bring out more monsters. As such, its important to keep moving a hero onto his tile to force him to attack the hero (his attack pushes the hero off the tile so you need to keep moving heroes up).

When we encounter Klak, we don't explore any new tiles on our own so, together with the above strategy, this helps to mitigate being overrun by other monsters. It does mean you constantly draw encounter cards but given the number of tiles with black arrows (which would give you a monster and an encounter card), I don't really see this as a negative.

With regard to monsters on your tile (and with no klak), then those monsters activate as normal ie they will activate if the hero whose move just ended was holding the monster card.

One last point - in my experience, its really important to play with more than just 2 heroes in this game. If possible, you should build up your party to 3 or 4 heroes which allows damage to be spread out a bit more as well as giving you more tactical options to deal with the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.