James Houlahan

California
msg tools
publisher
I know, I know, "Another Zombie Kickstarter!?" But hear me out!

Rust Devil Games was formed by a few friends and I on the way back from Wasteland Weekend 2012, we spent the entire drive there talking about how awesome it'd be if someone made this game or that, then the conversation headed to, "Well, why don't we do it?" And so that's what happened! On the drive home, we decided on the name "Rust Devil Games" since our Wasteland Weekend tribe is the Rust Devils, used our smartphones to register domain names, start jotting down rules notes and ideas, and we were off!

That was almost two years ago, and now we're ready with our first game. We wanted to make an awesome campaign-based skirmish game like the ones we loved back in the day, only with a post-apocalyptic zombie setting, coupled with a super affordable price and streamlined rule system that would be fast and fun to play while having the detail to feel realistic and include most anything we'd seen in our favorite zombie movies, shows, and games. We made it purely because it's the game we wanted to play and think others will enjoy it. We may do miniatures one day, but that's not our focus: making an awesome post-apocalyptic zombie game is.

But, we're all working stiffs and don't have the cash laying around to start a company and do an initial print run, so that's where our Kickstarter comes in. I like to think we're the quintessential target user for Kickstarter – we're not a huge company taking advantage of it as a platform, but really just a few guys who, without this money, will have an incredibly hard time getting our company off the ground.

Anyway, enough about us, on to the game!

Zed or Alive is a campaign-based miniatures skirmish game using the award-winning Savage Worlds: Showdown! system set in the years following the zombie apocalypse. You control one of several human group types such as Survivors, Tribals, or Military and battle each other and the ever-present zombie menace to gain weapons, supplies, and dominance!
Alternately, you may choose to play as a Virus Strain, gaining evolutionary material with every battle and evolving to become increasingly lethal!

The goal for our project is to provide players with a fast, furious, and fun miniatures game that allows them to use any zombie or survivor figures to play out campaigns just like your favorite zombie movies and shows!

Game Details:

- Uses the award-winning Savage Worlds: Showdown! System! (Available for free!)
- Use any miniatures you like!
- Three basic human group types!
- Rules for mutating your own Virus Strain!
- Tons of Confrontations that are playable head-to-head, cooperatively, or solo!
- Robust Campaign System! Watch your group grow from battle to battle!
- Massive armory with just about every anti-zombie weapon imaginable!
- Jury-Rigging system for constructing makeshift zombie-killing weapons!
- Rules for mounts, vehicles, even training pet dogs!
- Compatible with the Savage Worlds RPG – use ZoA as a role-playing sourcebook, create characters, use them in skirmish battle games, and vice-versa!
- Tons of setting-specific rules!
- Compatible with conventional 28mm, 20mm, or even 15mm miniatures!

Our project was initially planned as an inexpensive PDF only. That portion is finished, and it's ready to go. Our dream, however, was to also release a printed copy of the book, and that's what the Kickstarter campaign is to fund. We'll have plenty of extras on offer, so please give our Kickstarter a look: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rustdevilgames/zed-or-a....

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask any questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see anyting in the campaign about playtests/reviews. How extensively have you playtested the game? Have you had anyone outside your "circle" test/review the rules (ie without one of the devs there to guide)?

I like that you have a low goal so people can provide their own minis. I'm not a fan of the artstyle used, but I think I could get over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.