Carlos Cardozo
United States
Merion Station
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Betrayal at House on the Hill at a buddy's house and loved this mechanic, but boy is that game hard to come by at the moment. Are there any other games with this exploration mechanic? (I have Escape: The Curse of the Temple already, which has a similar feel to it.)

What other games are like these games (would you call them Dungeon Crawls?) where you do something like this, flipping over tiles to explore?

I really would love it if Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) was like this, but the scenarios are pre-set to certain configurations; no real exploration is involved. Same goes for Mansions of Madness, which was a bummer when I read that you build the mansion before the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I have played that are similar would be Legend of Drizzt (the other D&D adventure games are also similar but I haven't played them) and Dead of Night (which is a fun little print 'n play title).

I'm not sure if it is quite the same thing, but Robinson Crusoe also has a random exploration element, as does Mage knight (although I haven't MK).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secrets of the Lost Tomb will have this mechanic. This closed out last month on Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonQuest, by Fantasy Flight games.

Actually playing Escape at the moment. Damn those illusion tiles!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Valley has an exploration element. Now if it'll just show up in the states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage knight has this also. U have a mixed draw tile stack that you explore from. Also castle ravenloft (mentioned above with the d&d adventure games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very different game than the ones already mentioned, but strongly employs the exploration mechanic is Archipelago.

It is by no means a perfect, elegant design, but I agree with user
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in his excellent series of what you are missing reviews. This is the best integration of mechanics and the exploration theme I have seen.

The game is not easy to wrap your head around, but the mechanics, once down, run pretty smoothly. Just make sure you are playing with a group that will appreciate the semi-coop nature of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon (third edition) is a surprisingly good little game with a lot of strategy albeit also a good bit of luck. It serves as a solid screw your neighbor game that you build and change as you go though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've not played it, but The Cave is all about exploring a cave, finding hidden gems, etc. it's not in the horror or fantasy genre though, which judging by the games you've mentioned, may be more what you're looking for? What is it you like about the mechanic? Is it the surprises behind every door approach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Austin
msg tools
mb
Claustrophobia also uses this mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics
Gem Rush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Morgan
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D games has this same mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D Adventure System games, Similar to Descent but no "Evil" player required:
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

Also the Dungeoneer games, Players are against each other
Dungeoneer: Vault of the Fiends

Other random games with Tile exploration but not dungeon crawls
Forbidden Desert
Star Trek: Fleet Captains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Cardozo
United States
Merion Station
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richlush wrote:
I've not played it, but The Cave is all about exploring a cave, finding hidden gems, etc. it's not in the horror or fantasy genre though, which judging by the games you've mentioned, may be more what you're looking for? What is it you like about the mechanic? Is it the surprises behind every door approach?

Yeah, I love the sort of "You reveal a trap!" twists of fate, the obstacle-type nature of these games, and how the variance means no two games are exactly the same.

The ideal version of this would be something where there are a lot of booby traps and obstacles, or just an empty tile! That sort of dread over what might be behind Door #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Claustrophobia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Myth will do exactly that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dungeon Run
Seafarers of Catan
Conquest of Paradise
Merchant of Venus

Really looking forward to Lost Valley 2nd ed once it finally delivers.

I kind of prefer the games were the tiles are pre-placed but face down. The luck is technically the same as if you drew from a deck of tiles, but for some reason I feel like there's more control over where you explore. The best are where theres some action or tech to look ahead, like secretly looking at the planet card in MoV - I prefer that over "Draw 2 tiles, choose 1 to place." Some exploration games, like Dungeon Run, need some house rules to avoid a player just getting screwed drawing bad tile after bad tile and basically not participating in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lagasse
United States
Derry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Mice and Mystics, even though the tiles are placed, you can flip them over and still end up with a bit of a surprise. Not flipping through the storybook is a good way to avoid it.

From what I've heard Tales of the Arabian Nights is good for that narrative element, but doesn't have that element of surprise in set up.

Most games I can think of are lacking the flavor of Betrayal at House on the Hill and are more abstract ways of building, like building your dungeon in Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game or a city in Suburbia. I don't necessarily know whats coming up but it doesn't play into a solid narrative as much.

I guess that's why we see Betrayal at House on the Hill run up to crazy prices between printings, I haven't run into too many board games like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Mansion was the game I grew up on, where I first fell in love with exploring the unknown. Its more of a kids game, there's no real strategy to it, but the 3 level room tiles is exactly what Betrayal should have had to make it look cooler. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you've got kids to break into gaming, but it fits your criteria.

Another game that might hit the exploration spot, even though you're not specifically building the board is Master Labyrinth and its offshoots. You're in a maze you can shift every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
See if you can find a copy of the games workshop versio of DungeonQuest , it sounds like exactly what youre looking for. For an in print option, I heart the d&d games are good but I haven't played them personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Emperador Carlos wrote:
richlush wrote:

Yeah, I love the sort of "You reveal a trap!" twists of fate, the obstacle-type nature of these games, and how the variance means no two games are exactly the same.

The ideal version of this would be something where there are a lot of booby traps and obstacles, or just an empty tile! That sort of dread over what might be behind Door #2.

Hmm ok then. Do you like the co-op of betrayal as well? Betrayal is a very unique game, and complex comparatively to other co-ops in its implementation of the traitor mechanic. I've not played it, but Gears of War: The Board Game is essentially a dungeon crawl over tiles where you reveal cards which will then suddenly launch a new crazy enemy at you.

Have you looked at Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror might scratch some of that mystery itch, but I think they are probably not quite what your after. I'll have a think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.