Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, you're supposed to keep the same character and class throughout the course of the campaign.

Is there any reason, aside from story continuity, that this is enforced? Couldn't a group simply keep track of gold and experience spent by characters up to that point and apply those amounts to a different character/class combination between Quests? Or is there some gameplay balance issue I'm missing?

Also - How difficult would it be to shoehorn in a 5th hero player? I know everything is balanced toward 2-4 heroes, but I imagine adding in a few minions here or there could be used to balance things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you manage hero progression?
Would you also allow the OL change his class?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One note - I do not yet possess the game, as it is winging its way from Amazon right now; I'm working off the online rulebook. I just know that my group would like to be able to switch out characters so as to experiment a bit with what is a brand new game system.

Hero Progression: My plan would be simple - follow the rules as if starting a one-off quest at Advanced or Expert level, except the new character would spend whatever the "retiring" character had spent. For example, if the retiring character had earned 4 experience points and was holding equipment worth 200 gold, the new character would be allowed to spend 4 experience on class cards and 200 gold on equipment from the appropriate Shop deck(s).

Not sure about what you mean by allowing the Overlord to change his class; I didn't see anything about the Overlord choosing a class in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The OL buys additional cards with the XP he earns.
There are Universal cards (a few), but he can build his deck along a given class (e.g. Saboteur).

Now, about changing heroes from quest to quest during a campaign, this goes against the major interest of a campaign: have one's heroes progress along their given class.

It would be a fuss to change heroes from quest to quest - a lot of time would be spent "rebuilding" their class cards.
If, in addition - as I understand - the gold total would be reused, one would have to find a way to draw a number of times the shop cards that are drawn between quests, and set some limitations to the amount of gold spent each time.

I would rather go for playing one shot quests, using the Epic rules.
Playing a campaign is not mandatory at all.

Last but not least: it usually is more clever to try a game as it is, rather than want to change it even before having played it a number of times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said. If they want to experiment with variety, then just start with one-off encounters.

In addition to being against the theme of the game and opening up for gaming scenarios by choosing more tailored heroes, the shop deck available to heroes is limited. Once you have someone cash in their chips and let someone else buy what they want, you've broken a somewhat important piece of the game.

There's been various proposals in here to add a 5th hero player. Some people claim they do it with no problems. Just search around and you'll find some proposed/tested solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advice Noted. I guess they'll just have to stick it out.

Let me ask this - How would campaign play handle a varying number of characters each play? For every session, I'm not sure if I'll have 3 or 4 heroes. My biggest concern is handling a power level differential if one particular hero misses out on a quest.

Is this manageable, or will this break the campaign?

Edit: Just thought about letting the attending Heroes play any missing Heroes by committee. Probably not the best solution, but would avoid any potential issues with advancement parity. Acceptable solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
shidara wrote:

Edit: Just thought about letting the attending Heroes play any missing Heroes by committee. Probably not the best solution, but would avoid any potential issues with advancement parity. Acceptable solution?

Go with this (except that instead of 'by comittee' just have a player take the role).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Go with this (except that instead of 'by comittee' just have a player take the role).
+1
It really is a good solution to always have 4 heroes in play, whatever the number of players.

I personally never have had the possibility of playing a full campaign, because my gaming partners don't have regular or similar times free.
I am even now thinking of playing solo (with 4 heroes) a campaign, that my buddies can occasionaly join, taking the heroes (or OL?) from where they are in their progression.
(I know that soloing has its limits... but one must to the best with what one has).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Kopet
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always use four heroes regardless of how many people we have at the table. If there are 2 people each gets to control 2 heroes. But if we just have one extra hero we usually manage it amongst all the players-talking out what kind of move that hero should do. As long as you don't have an alpha gamer, your group should be ok with deciding things as a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation in the OP could be exploited by heroes who know what they're doing. For instance, they may start the campaign with characters and/or classes that are good at getting gold, and then re-spec later to something that is better at dealing damage or winning quests.

Another potential issue is that it could take the random element out of shopping. A weapon may come up in the shop that's well-suited to a particular class (Iron Battleaxe for the Berserker, for instance), and then the heroes decide at that point to re-spec to Berserker. Similarly, the heroes may win The Monster's Hoard and gain the really valuable Bow, and only then decide to take a Wildlander to maximize its use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.