Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a core set in trade and found The Edge of Darkeness and Battle Of Hoth on clearance. I sorted the decks by faction and was wondering can I just play each deck as is (about 55-60 cards eacg). I haven't read the rules yet but sort of understand how the deck building works (that's what drew me into the game besides the theme). Also can any of the neutral Objective cards be used with either light or dark side or is there a way to tell them apart?

Thanks for your time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
you pick 10 objectives the 5 cards that come with each one form your deck.
the card backs indicate rebel or imperial for neutral objectives, they only go one way. you may want a second starter you are allowed 2 copies of any one objective, though some are limited to one per deck. that way you can have 2 copies of vader, or the emperor, or luke or han etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The back of the cards are different for light side and dark side, blue and red respectively. So, the neutral cards are side specific but, they don't count against resource matching for laying a card in your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneart69 wrote:
you pick 10 objectives the 5 cards that come with each one form your deck.
the card backs indicate rebel or imperial for neutral objectives, they only go one way.

Duh. I overlooked the card backs. What about playing the factions as is with the card pool I have available? Which should I use for our first few games, does it matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
whith what you have you should be able to play any faction equally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The backs of the cards will be either red or blue, which tells you if the neutral objectives belong to the light or dark side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneart69 wrote:

Are any two factions easier or more balanced to start out with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have more than 10 objectives. Most people stick to 10 because this seems to be the most competitive but for casual play I will build 10-12 objectives in a set if I think they would be fun/thematic together. Anyway you definitely could take one or two of each objective sets for each faction and play them all together (watch for objective sets you can only have 1 of though and make sure you have at least 10 total sets).

For casual play the "competitiveness" of each deck isn't a problem so there is nothing really stopping you that way. The problem is that I think most players would agree it's also going to be a bit less fun this way. The reason is that a lot of the cards combo off one another and only really work well when you can reasonably expect them to come out. If you dilute the deck with too many objectives this becomes a problem.

Honestly the reason I own this game (and traded other games like it) is that with the objective set system a casual player can create a new deck in minutes. Just think of a theme for it and have fun. Don't worry about min/maxing your decks (though I do look for sets that have synergy if I can). You'd be pleasantly surprised how well similarly themed decks will work off one another's strengths. Almost like they planned it this way

I shoudl add that for casual play I would stick to pure faction with neutral objectives mixed in though, no need to make multi-faction decks at this point.

Some ideas:
1. Storm Trooper deck (Imperials - have lots of ground troops)
2. Sith Lords deck (Sith - build around Vader and Palpatine)
3. Jedi Masters deck (Jedi - Luke/Yoda/Obi Wan)
4. Han at Hoth deck (Smugglers - Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon with as many Hoth objectives as you can)
5. Rebel Assault deck (Rebels - Get all the rebel assault cards you can in one deck)

Like I said, you can build one of these in about 5-10 minutes each, just have fun with them and try them out. You can build them around Leia, Imperial Star Destroyers, Tie Fighters, around scenes from the movies, or whatever you want. If you find a deck isn't working just rebuild a new one or take out sets and add new ones in that work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One random side note, you can just build the six demo decks (from core and Edge of Darkness) then add the Rebel, Jedi, Imperial and Sith objectives to their respective decks, and split your spare copies of the neutral objectives from core and Edge between the decks.

I will say, even for casual play, an extra copy of Core and Edge will go a long way towards smoothing the game out, doubling up on objectives is a key to making competitive decks, but even in casual play, it's still helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
stoneart69 wrote:

Are any two factions easier or more balanced to start out with?

There's some idiosyncrasies with faction pairing in high level play, but at an introductory level that's not really an issue.

The initial four factions (Jedi or Rebel vs. Sith or Imperial) will work really well. Also splitting between the two, so Sith/Imperial vs Jedi/Rebel decks can be really fun introductions to the game.

Smugglers and Scum tend to involve higher level play. They're not imbalanced, but they may require some comfort with the game before you break them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we play casually. I have all the expansions and i just put all the new faction cards in. So each faction has 16-17 objectives i think. Plays fine and is varied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
One random side note, you can just build the six demo decks (from core and Edge of Darkness) then add the Rebel, Jedi, Imperial and Sith objectives to their respective decks, and split your spare copies of the neutral objectives from core and Edge between the decks.

I will say, even for casual play, an extra copy of Core and Edge will go a long way towards smoothing the game out, doubling up on objectives is a key to making competitive decks, but even in casual play, it's still helpful.

So there can be multiple copies of an objective and acompaning cards? I don't get how an extra core set is useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
[q="StarkeRealm"]So there can be multiple copies of an objective and acompaning cards? I don't get how an extra core set is useful.
It'll make both your deckbuilding and your play more strategic and intentional. When you play with only one copy of an objective, you're leaving a lot to chance with respect to what you draw in any given game. Thus the play is mostly tactical- just dealing with the hands you're dealt, rather than planning forward with what's in your deck.

When you play with two copies of each objective, you have to exclude many other objectives but you also dramatically increase the concentration of objectives you intend to see. So now you're playing a deck with the intention of seeing Darth Vader or Han Solo... then you can start to play with that expectation and having a better idea what you can pitch into edge battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.