eurek
Italy
Milano
ITA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION REPORT

I was searching for a good scenario to be played with 2 investigators.. This forum directed me to DH. A cry for help (amazing scenario, and the one I like most at the moment) would not certainly work well, and neither mind's veil according to some posts - requiring a full set of investigator to be best enjoyed.

I play as the keeper, the 2 investigators start immediately talking to Zebulon trying to collect clues about the ritual and they get one quest each. I quickly realise that I need to concentrate in taking the full set of ritual objects as per suggested strategy. And the right ones! Since just a monster per turn can be moved - and that's 2 spaces, I summon additional monsters at locations nearer to the ritual items in order to get them quickly. The limitation of 2 TT per turn does not help much. Also, I manage to send a cultist in the library doing useful researches, this turn out to be the key to get the puzzle resolved early in the game due to a secondary (powerful) ability of one of my cards. The Mage awakes the great horror easily completing the ritual, and the creature start crawling towards the top of the hill on the other side of the map. The investigators at this point had managed to complete just 2 objectives out of 4, way behind for trying to stop the Mage before the summoning. Confident of the great power of the DH, I move him 2 spaces each turn, I cannot do much to protect it actually, since the movement card is limited to one use per turn. The investigators with a couple of well casted spells and a shovel kill the beast 1 turn away from my victory, securing the place.. Until the next horror!

INITIAL THOUGHTS

The game was tense, even if I would discourage playing the scenario with just two investigators. Too few for trying to stop the ritual before the DH is summoned - no way to collect in time the necessary clues. And this is my biggest concern about the scenario. It seems uninteresting for the investigators (at least just 2) trying to stop the ritual.. A useless task they are not motivated to pursue - let's say from the second game on! Exploring for getting better weapons and spell, and then waiting for the ritual to complete. Since the real tension here is investigators trying to stop the ritual VS keeper trying to complete it with the puzzle, I feel that the investigator's objective shall be revealed from the beginning to the investigators. What about splitting the objective in two? 1) kill the Mage before the completion of the ritual and if failed 2)kill the DH. Than the DH combat will remain the last desperate defense!! If the investigators do not know their objective, IMO they are not sufficiently motivated to stop the ritual. And when the DH is summoned and the last objective is revealed (kill the DH) they remain with a sense of 'why we were running around trying to collect clues anyway' feeling.

I DID LIKE:
The story. The puzzle with the collection of ritual items. The map composition. The ritual idea. The game balance.

I DID NOT LIKE:
//Replayability: I noticed that perhaps this is the least replayable scenario - once the investigators have discovered where are the clues / keys and unfolded the plot most of the fun is taken out.

//Downtime: Very nice 'mister mind - alike' puzzle for the keeper, even if really enjoyable could create some downtimes during keeper's turn, at least for some keepers.

//Scalability: I would suggest play with a minimum of 3 investigators

//Coherence of Objective: I find it not sufficiently motivating for the investigators collecting clues / completing Zebulon's quests to try to stop the ritual, for what explained above. I would suggest revealing the first part of the objective to the investigators either by means of a more explicit prologue or by reading the objective itself

My preferred scenarios ranked up to now (but just played 2 of cotw)
1) a cry for help (COTW)
2) yellow sign (POD)
3) blood ties (base)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
If I remember correctly, the Warded Monster rules make the Dunwich Horror invincible as long as the Ritual Site has that magic lock on it, which means the investigators need to complete their tasks no matter what.

With four investigators, you may be able to complete the tasks about twice as fast, but with twice as much threat the keeper can complete the ritual about twice as fast. In my experience it's actually one of the scenarios that scales most smoothly with number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eurek
Italy
Milano
ITA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
If I remember correctly, the Warded Monster rules make the Dunwich Horror invincible as long as the Ritual Site has that magic lock on it, which means the investigators need to complete their tasks no matter what.

You are right!!! I'm really glad I missed this rule.. This solves the main issue I had with the objective. Just re-checked the rules. Thank you.

salty53 wrote:
With four investigators, you may be able to complete the tasks about twice as fast, but with twice as much threat the keeper can complete the ritual about twice as fast. In my experience it's actually one of the scenarios that scales most smoothly with number of players.

Make sense. Still, I completed the puzzle I think around event card II or III, and only 2/4 ally's tasks were solved. And I felt the gameplay of the investigators was ok, they did not lose time wandering around. Either I'm damn good with mastermind puzzles, or they got unlucky with ally's deck. I definitely need to give this scenario another go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
north richland hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are misinterpreting the "Lurking Evil" card. It says at the bottom of the card "Limit once per monster per turn." This would mean that if you had 3 threat you could spend them to move 3 different monsters 2 spaces, but you couldn't move 1 monster 6 spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eurek
Italy
Milano
ITA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HobosBeware wrote:
I think you are misinterpreting the "Lurking Evil" card. It says at the bottom of the card "Limit once per monster per turn." This would mean that if you had 3 threat you could spend them to move 3 different monsters 2 spaces, but you couldn't move 1 monster 6 spaces.

Correct! Never more happy to be wrong laugh even though I would have finished the puzzle even earlier, actually. BTW, I really start to think that the best played games are the ones already played by the keeper at least once!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Celusak
msg tools
Wait. So if there is a lock. They cannot move into ritual site. Why? Becouse if there is just a lock they can, with one move uncover that the lock card is actually a myst and, according to the rules they can just discard it afterwards (nothing on the myst card says that it should stay in game or that they cannot explore past this card. Also. After first game, they know that they should kill the mage. Maybe they cannot get to bim but they can shoot him from a distance or not?

And. I think that there is also a rule that if you have uncompleted task with any character, you cannot draw more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eurek
Italy
Milano
ITA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celo_PP wrote:
Wait. So if there is a lock. They cannot move into ritual site. Why? Becouse if there is just a lock they can, with one move uncover that the lock card is actually a myst and, according to the rules they can just discard it afterwards (nothing on the myst card says that it should stay in game or that they cannot explore past this card. Also. After first game, they know that they should kill the mage. Maybe they cannot get to bim but they can shoot him from a distance or not?

If I understand correctly the questions, I'd say:
- no, you cannot discard the myst, it has to be treated as a lock (there is in fact a card somewhere allowing to 'unlock' the myst). There are some posts about here on bgg.
- yes, this is why is the least replayable of all the new scenarios;
- no, the mage cannot be wounded until the circle is broken;

Quote:
And. I think that there is also a rule that if you have uncompleted task with any character, you cannot draw more.

That was for ACFH for sure, what is the point you are making here however?

Ciao!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.