Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a miniatures type battle game without the investment of miniatures. For about the same price, I can find the master set for SW and the base set for Diskwars. What would be the main differences and what would be the deciding factor? I do not know if the disks mimicking miniatures combat would be more interesting that the cards-on-a-grid combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
SW is a lot more like chess.
WHDiskwars bills itself as approximating the miniatures experience, although that is up to interpretations.
IMHO neither game really gives a "miniatures type battle game without the investment of miniatures." But claiming to do so makes for plenty of marketing interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, as trite as it is, the easiest way to describe SW (my favorite game, btw) is chess + magic the gathering. Dunno much about disk wars. However, for a full minis without minis experience, maybe check out Battleground. I have some of the cards but have never played it (mostly because my wife and casual gamers aren't interested but my hard core gamer friends prefer real mini games instead), but Tom vasel and a lot of other folks really like it exactly for the same reason you're looking at these two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it's a little older seems like it is still readily available online and through the BGG marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jefimeyerhoff wrote:
I agree, as trite as it is, the easiest way to describe SW (my favorite game, btw) is chess + magic the gathering. Dunno much about disk wars. However, for a full minis without minis experience, maybe check out Battleground. I have some of the cards but have never played it (mostly because my wife and casual gamers aren't interested but my hard core gamer friends prefer real mini games instead), but Tom vasel and a lot of other folks really like it exactly for the same reason you're looking at these two games.

This ^^^.

And Mythic Battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frontiers also comes to mind, though I haven't played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Diskwars but am really interested in it. If I knew I would have an opponent for it then I would probably buy it. Right now I'm trying to cut back on getting games that I know I will want to get expansions for. As I have already got all the first summoners for summoner wars I will probably just stay with it. Keep in mind you are asking on a SW forum. You probably should post the question on the main page or a similar question on the Diskwars forum.

The best thing about summoner wars is that it is a great game for everyone. The rules are easy to learn and Rodney Smith has done an excellent how to play video for it. It takes about ten minutes to learn the game but it is deceptively deep. While I don't feel like SW is like chess (it's too much fun for that) it definitely has enough depth to be played over and over again. The other good thing is that you can get additional factions for ten dollars.

The bad things about SW is that there is no terrain. This is not a complaint but if you want a true miniatures game then the lack of terrain might be a problem for you. Also poor dice rolls can be frustrating. I can't count how many times I could have won by rolling a three or higher with a four dice roll and rolling all ones and twos. A good strategy is way more important than the dice rolls but some games can come down to who can roll better.

Diskwars looks like a great game. I read through the rule book and while the rules seem simple enough a lot of terms are used. If you are familiar with miniatures games they will make perfect sense. To someone who doesn't play a lot of board games it would take a little more effort to learn. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that SW is easier to teach and get others to play. The good thing about Diskwars is that the movement doesn't feel as restricted. Just by comparing orthogonal movement to disk flipping, you will see what I mean. Diskwars also looks to be a little less dependent on dice rolls.

Both are great games but if you want a true miniatures game I would go with Diskwars. If you want the best skirmish type game that has a wide appeal go with Summoner Wars. Although I would like Diskwars I am perfectly content with just having SW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Frontiers is one of the best "no miniatures" wargames I have ever played. Its ultra cheap to purchase, and plays wonderfully despite some wording issues stemming from translation from French. But it plays exactly like you would expect a light miniatures game to play.

Summoner wars is a very good game, but is less of a miniatures game and more of a board game using cards as pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan,

I'm inclined to agree with everything you stated. I'm thinking Summoner Wars may be in my future but it'll have to wait as the game purchases need to die down for a bit. Anyone hear anything about another Master Set being released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a no miniatures war game, Battleground is pretty dang awesome. It uses cards for the units, so it's a miniatures tape measure tabletop game that can fit in your pocket.

It's mostly fantasy, though there was a historical version that only saw one release - the Punic wars.

Worth a look at the very least.

That said, Summoner Wars isn't really a war game, it's a skirmish game more akin to things like Magic: the Gathering, Heroscape, the World of Warcraft miniatures game, and things like that.

I'm not saying all those games play similarly, they don't, but they're skirmish (small group of individuals fighting a small group of individuals) games rather than war (large groups in various units fighting large groups in various units) games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.