Subject: Brotherly Love C40 mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play new C40 Brotherly Love mission, but one thing is not clear for me. It is written that purple doors can't be opened by normal means and will open automatically when Sledge breaks open his door.
But how zombie (even abomination) can break the door himself? Or did I miss something in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:
I would like to play new C40 Brotherly Love mission, but one thing is not clear for me. It is written that purple doors can't be opened by normal means and will open automatically when Sledge breaks open his door.
But how zombie (even abomination) can break the door himself? Or did I miss something in the rules?

It's hidden away in the scenario special rules.

If you draw a zombie card that calls for an Abomination at your current danger level, you don't spawn an Abomination and instead open all doors in the zone Sledge is in.

So basically, he moves to the purple door near where he starts and waits there until you draw an Abom spawn. All the time the zombies will also be amassing at the exit too.

Not a great timing mechanism IMO, because I've had games where I've never spawned an Abom because I've been at the wrong (right?) danger level each time an Abom spawn card has come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, got it now, thank you.
Agree that waiting for abomination card can take some time. I hope that at least any type of Abomination spawn (standard, berserk, toxic) will be valid for this purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:
I hope that at least any type of Abomination spawn (standard, berserk, toxic) will be valid for this purpose.

It doesn't specify, so I would play it as any Abom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this mission this weekend and we found that it was actually a very nice and interesting challenge. A lot of action going right from the start. I agree that opening violet doors by an abomination card is not the best timer but we got very lucky and Sledge got out pretty fast. But I can imagine the game being dragged too long if you don't get abomination spawn cards for a long time.
The only thing that was a little bit confusing is that the objective tokens were not mandatory - in most missions they usually are, so we played it this way. Otherwise we would have finished the game much sooner, as we got lucky and found Concrete Saw in early searches.
I think that you can add a homerule to make it less random. First option is to put a D10 (or D6) die in the zone with violet door. As soon as Sledge gets there, the number on the die starts increasing every zombie phase and when it reaches 10 (or 6), Sledge breaks out.
Other option is just to allow Sledge break through when any of the survivors reaches orange level. It's a much more simple solution, however I'm not sure which one will be more balanced in terms of gameplay.
I have another question about this mission. It looks like a door is missing right under the player starting area between tiles 16P and 14P. There is a hole on the map, so the next door for these 2 rooms below doesn't really make sense, unless you are planning some running in the central corridor. Anyone got any ideas on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel udd
msg tools
dark_dar wrote:
We played this mission this weekend and we found that it was actually a very nice and interesting challenge. A lot of action going right from the start. I agree that opening violet doors by an abomination card is not the best timer but we got very lucky and Sledge got out pretty fast. But I can imagine the game being dragged too long if you don't get abomination spawn cards for a long time.
The only thing that was a little bit confusing is that the objective tokens were not mandatory - in most missions they usually are, so we played it this way. Otherwise we would have finished the game much sooner, as we got lucky and found Concrete Saw in early searches.
I think that you can add a homerule to make it less random. First option is to put a D10 (or D6) die in the zone with violet door. As soon as Sledge gets there, the number on the die starts increasing every zombie phase and when it reaches 10 (or 6), Sledge breaks out.
Other option is just to allow Sledge break through when any of the survivors reaches orange level. It's a much more simple solution, however I'm not sure which one will be more balanced in terms of gameplay.
I have another question about this mission. It looks like a door is missing right under the player starting area between tiles 16P and 14P. There is a hole on the map, so the next door for these 2 rooms below doesn't really make sense, unless you are planning some running in the central corridor. Anyone got any ideas on that?

I'm lucky enough to be the winning contributor of this particular scenario and I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)
My intention for the objective tokens were that they should be kind of an optional task and to give survivors the ability to quickly boost XP if the others got ahead, which is a common consequence when one survivor finds those dual Sawed-Off's or the likes early on. Using them as a mandatory is definitely an option!
Allowing Sledge to break through on Orange level actually crossed my mind when designing the scenario. The reason I didn't go for that was simply because I wanted the players to be "on edge" and not be able to plan his arrival.
Having him break out on Abomination cards leaves this more or less to fate :). I agree though that there might be cases where he comes out way too early or too late, but in a balanced Walker deck it has usually turned out fairly good the times I've tried the scenario.
There's been times where the survivors have been holding on against the flood of walkers just praying for him to break out and other times where you are chased around early on in panic searching for means to fight him. Both have been fun in their own way.

And yes - Any Abomination cards are valid for the purpose of "The great berserker" rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zammeee wrote:
dark_dar wrote:

I'm lucky enough to be the winning contributor of this particular scenario and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
My intention for the objective tokens were that they should be kind of an optional task and to give survivors the ability to quickly boost XP if the others got ahead, which is a common consequence when one survivor finds those dual Sawed-Off's or the likes early on. Using them as a mandatory is definitely an option!
Allowing Sledge to break through on Orange level actually crossed my mind when designing the scenario. The reason I didn't go for that was simply because I wanted the players to be "on edge" and not be able to plan his arrival.
Having him break out on Abomination cards leaves this more or less to fate . I agree though that there might be cases where he comes out way too early or too late, but in a balanced Walker deck it has usually turned out fairly good the times I've tried the scenario.
There's been times where the survivors have been holding on against the flood of walkers just praying for him to break out and other times where you are chased around early on in panic searching for means to fight him. Both have been fun in their own way.

And yes - Any Abomination cards are valid for the purpose of "The great berserker" rule.

Thank you for your answer, Samuel. Could you please also give some comments about my question about the (potentially) missing door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel, thanks for interesting scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel udd
msg tools
dark_dar wrote:
Thank you for your answer, Samuel. Could you please also give some comments about my question about the (potentially) missing door?

Yes, that's really strange! There's actually supposed to be a door there between 14P and 16P, but it's missing.
However in the 10P piece, there's not supposed to be any doors and you spawn Walkers here as usual when you open the starting zone door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.