Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is the conversion of La Capitan, to be used as a team with the Vengeance rules.

La Capitan is very fun addition to a vengeance team, she has a lot of target which harass the player and some of her cards affect all villain targets. But she is quite a tough one, so I remove some cards so she would play slower and change her dynamic with the card she stills. Instead of using it to avoid damage like the original, she use it to "pay" her crew once the Paradoja is gone. If there is no plunder, then the crew will desert her and she will become an easy prey.

For more alternate, custom villains and more. Go to Yoshi's Scum and Villainy Thread.

La Capitan (HP: 26)
Setup
At the start of the game, put La Capitan’s villain character card into play, Time Corsair side up.
Search the La Capitan for the card La Paradoja Magnifica and put it into play. Remove these cards from La Capitan’s deck: Battle Forged, Final Breath, 2 Maria Helena’s Revenge, 1 Plunder. Shuffle La Capitan’s deck.
Gameplay
Whenever a hero card is destroyed by a villain target, put it under this card.
The first time each turn a villain character card would be dealt damage, move a card from under La Capitan to the appropriate trash. If you do, prevent that damage.
In La Capitan’s cards text, replace “Villain deck” by “La Capitan’s deck” and “Villain Turn” by “La Capitan’s Turn”. (H) = 3 regardless of the number of heroes in play.
Advanced
Reduce damage dealt to crew and relic by 1.

La Capitan (Incapacitated)
At the start of La Capitan’s turn, destroy 1 hero ongoing or equipment card.

La Paradoja Magnifica
At the end of La Capitan’s Turn, move the top card of a hero deck under La Capitan's character card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
After 1 game:

I didn't like the feel of La Capitan. The Paradoja Magnifica playing a card if there is one or less kept triggering, because La Capitan didn't get any cards under her for a while.

She has 6 cards that destroy cards, if they don't come up all she does is play two cards, usually involving a crew member entering play (9 cards involve a crew member entering play), and then destroy a crew the start of turn.

How this ended up for us: 1st card was plunder, but nothing to destroy, second card was Raiding party, 2 crew in play (one was mable, who couldn't destroy anything)

next turn La Capitan destroys Mable before Mable can force a card play and plays L'Epieste and Walk the Plank.

Start of next turn before she does anything else she destroys L'Epieste before he could do his damage.

She destroyed Chip and Siege Breaker for us as well, but at least they got to do something first.

It just feels silly recalling a crew member, reducing the crew in play and that triggering a card play. It seems like a fiddly way to burn her deck, but by destroying targets it makes her easier.
If she does destroy stuff than she isn't destroying crew members but she isn't playing extra cards either.

It lowers the impact of the ship and her crew, we were more about setting up the more dangerous crew to be destroyed by her than taking out the ship or the crew.

Then when she got Temporal Thief she had 4 cards underneath and she never did the destroy option again.

I understand I got a perfect storm to start of three cards with destruction that was wasted, but the destroying of Mable and L'Epieste before they could do their nasty stuff felt cheap.

I'm making a second post about some suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cleave TwentyNine
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought she was interesting, but she has all these powerful crew members and she has no protection or healing herself. I played her with Omnitron and I liked how Omnitron redirected the damage to his drones. Maybe do the same with her instead of having her burn crew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a confusion here, she only destroy a crew card if la Paradoja is not in play. Basically as long as she has the ship, the crew is happy and stays. Once she has lost it, she must share the plunder, otherwise her crew is slowly leaving her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Yep. Copied that down wrong. ouch.
Okay, so I'll try her again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
My impressions of her so far:

I don't like the way she plays, she's very fiddly.

Trying to keep all three aspects of her solo form (the ship, the crew, the cards under her card) makes her hard to balance and confusing to play.

I think the best way to deal with her would be to focus on one aspect, and use a second aspect to strengthen the primary one.

(like Gloomweaver's conversion, where the zombie mechanic became the big deal, the relics and cultists that didn't support Zombies were removed)

I think Cap could work well as a leader style villain, like Baron.

The Paradoja could play the top card of the villain with lowest HP deck, the cards underneath her work like her flip side, but protect all villain character cards, something like:

"The first time each turn that a Villain Character card would be dealt damage move a card from under La Capitan to the appropriate trash. If you do prevent the damage." This keeps it to one per turn, allowing stacked damage to get through and prevent something like cold snap from burning all the prevention.

I would consider putting motley crew back in, they only put 1 crew from the trash into play, so they aren't really very bad.

I would instead remove Battle Forged, Siege Breaker and Final Breath, the lowest hero damage is wicked, and with only 4 crew members, and none of the hard to kill ones left Plunder and Motley Crew wouldn't be that bad.

It would leave Cap with 5 targets, a lot of destruction and cards going under.

Paradoja could take a card from the top of a deck and put it under Cap as well, that would give the cards under mechanic a boost without taking up space or destroying cards. I'd also change the destroyed text to match the text from her original card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I was off for sometime, but I finally had sometime to give a second look at her, again I like your ideas, what do you think of the following:

La Capitan (HP: 26)
Setup
At the start of the game, put La Capitan’s villain character card into play, Time Corsair side up.
Search the La Capitan for the card La Paradoja Magnifica and put it into play. Remove these cards from La Capitan’s deck: Battle Forged, Final Breath, 2 Maria Helena’s Revenge, 1 Plunder. Shuffle La Capitan’s deck.
Gameplay
Whenever a hero card is destroyed by a villain target, put it under this card.
The first time each turn a villain character card would be dealt damage, move a card from under La Capitan to the appropriate trash. If you do, prevent that damage.
In La Capitan’s cards text, replace “Villain deck” by “La Capitan’s deck” and “Villain Turn” by “La Capitan’s Turn”. (H) = 3 regardless of the number of heroes in play.
Advanced
Reduce damage dealt to crew and relic by 1.

La Paradoja Magnifica
At the end of La Capitan’s Turn, move the top card of a hero deck under La Capitan's character card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I like it, I'll give it a playtest or two tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Playtested it, and I liked it a lot. She's pretty rough to go against, which is cool.

The advanced text could stand to change Relic to Timeship or just name La Paradoja Magnifica, because as is she makes Apostate and Gloomweaver a lot harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingofsouls master of the 27 skies and a generally good lookin guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
IT makes good synergy with Apostate and Gloomweaver though. In general La Captian has a teamwork based deck with all of the crew card and her support in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The Apostate one isn't too bad, since you can always destroy runes by dropping Apostate repeatedly, but pouch of Bones sucks to deal with.

I'm OK with it. When I tested her with Apostate it was late and I totally forgot I could just focus down Apostate to kill relics, which would have made a big difference.

Might still have lost (Cap, Apostate, Matriarch and Gloomy is just sick), but dropping Apostate is even easier than dropping the drum, so it isn't a big deal.

I'm cool with her as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys! I have updated the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Decay
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only the backs of her card... did BGG somehow mixed up the images?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Y.
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nop, its me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.