Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At last we left off, I had started a very basic thread on repainting ships. I've done a couple more since then, but here's the original thread to start you off:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1131544/you-too-can-paint-up...

So, I toyed with a Miranda ship and a very basic blue wash (the same blue wash as in the romulan fleet):

As you can see, the wash when done on one side really brings out the details that already exist in the model. I did a light wash on it, I may do one more just to really make things noticeable. But I probably won't repaint the whole thing. A basic wash is something that can greatly help your ships and how they look on the table. I'd recommend the Blue for Feds, Black for Romulans, Green for Klingons, and maybe a black one for the Dominion ships (they already look pretty good).

Then, I had a couple B'Rel/K'Vort ships I did quite the number on:

To do this:
1. Primer the whole ship in a light color (I used same primer as in the Romulan repaint)
2. Silver the whole thing (Citadel RuneFang Steel)
3. Add main Black touches (Citadel Abaddon Black)
4. Paint the windows, gun tips, and engine areas (Citadel Mephiston Red)
5. Paint the wings (Citadel Glaze - Bloodletter) - this was the hardest part since the glaze was almost like a wash. I did 3 coats being very sure to keep it in the area of the wing details.
6. Touch up area around wing details with silver (RuneFang steel)
7. Black wash the whole ship, let it dry, black wash it again, let it dry. (Citadel Nuln Oil)

The Klingon ships look good enough that I'm going to have to come up with a twin K'Vort fleet just to run them!

And lastly... I couldn't wait...

THE BORG HAVE ARRIVED!

I couldn't wait to get my hands on a sphere, so I grabbed what was lurking around

First, detail in the recesses in as neon green as you can find:

Next, add some black (I should have done some silver too) highlights around the sphere by painting in panels:

Lastly, hit it with the black wash to really bring out those details!

I can't wait to pull that one on my gaming group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good.

At first I was confused with the shallow details on the sphere then I noticed the Deathstar dish, haha, nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
HAHAHA, I love the idea of a deathstar sphere, thats great... Where did you get that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sphere is a Micro Machines Death Star II single pack off eBay, I think I paid $8 for it shipped. I just looked and there's a few for a little more than that, but there's also a 3 pack that includes it for slightly cheaper. WELL worth it! I had to drill the bottom with a 1/8" bit and cut down one of the plastic pegs from another ship to superglue in there. But it also fits in my Plano 5231 with the rest of 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
If you collect plenty of ships, an easy trick to peg an alternate/proxy is to take one of the two vertical and just slice off the bottom. You're seldom going to field more than four ships, so unless you need it for display you can chalk up some of the stands that come with your ships as extra parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.