Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2252806#item22...

Conclusion:

Zombicide is one of my top 10 games. Yes, games. I like all types of games: 2 player, Euro, Ameritrash, etc. I do like when a game tells a story and Zombicide always tells an epic story. My heart is always pumping and I either narrowly win or get overtaken by the zombie horde.

While Last Night on Earth is a great zombie game, I can take nothing away from this game. I put my own "Walking Dead" crew together and then try to survive. Sometimes this is just a losing cause.

The game does rely on luck. There is die rolling and card flipping. Sometimes that luck will just destroy you. Other times, you might need to sacrifice a member of your party (sorry, buddy!). This is a hard game and at times it feels the world is against you...or at least the zombie apocalypse.

This game has some of my favorite gaming moments. In addition, the game can be played solo or with friends. The game is easy to teach and most people will enjoy it and comment how beautiful it is. I guess at its heart it is a move and shoot type of game (think Doom, Gears of War), but it is so much more than Zombies!!!.

I highly recommend you trying this out and it survives the purge.

Components:

This is a point where the game shines. Everything is top notch and beautiful. The board is modular. This is a nice shining point, because you can make up your own scenario for infinite replay.

The cards are the smaller type. I assuming this decision was made to keep the footprint on the table a tad smaller. They work just fine as you do not keep cards in your hand, but rather on your character sheets.

The chits, tokens, etc are top notch and serve the game well. The game really shines with the minis and they are easily painted. The detail on the minis are fantastic and really bring the game alive.

The components are not an area of the game where you will be unhappy. Instead, this is an area of the game that will make up for any flaws that you find.

Rule Book:

The rule book might be the weakest point of this game. While it is organized well and includes a lot of full color pictures and examples, there are situations where you will just have to make a decision about the rules and live with it. Since we have access to BGG, we can also see what others think. Normally, if you just use common sense everything will work out just fine.

Other than that, I am fine with the rules. The rule book is small and looking up your answers to questions is very easy (if it is in the rule book). I am a big fan of player aids and I wish this game had one. Otherwise, the rule book is serviceable. You can definitely play this game from the rule book.

Flow of the Game:

The flow of the game is rather simple. You choose a scenario and set it up. Each scenario has a unique win condition.

On your turn, you can move, fight, or search. To search, you have to be in a room and you flip a card over (you get the card and what is on it). You have 5 spots to carry something.

To move, you move your movement score.

To fight, you use a weapon. Some weapons are melee other has range. Each weapon hits on a different roll of the die (ex: roll three die and you hit on any 5/6).

Zombies - There are different type of zombies with different "powers". A normal walker does with one hit (bye!). Some take two hits. Some can move 2 spots instead of one (runner). Knowing which zombie to kill when can be the difference between winning and losing.

Noise - The concept of noise is very important. Zombies are attracted to noise and the less of it the better off you are. Well, sometimes. Sometimes you might want one character to make a lot of noise to distract the zombies and send them off in a different direction.

The basic concept also is as you level up (kill more zombies and reach objectives) and get more experience you get more "powers". At the same time, more and more dangerous zombies will enter the board. So, the stronger you get and the more you progress the harder the game gets. Like a zombie attack, things get tougher as the game progresses.

Should I buy this Game?:

If you are a fan of zombie games, this is a resounding yes. This blows the old Zombies!!! out of the water. Last Night on Earth is a good comparison, but I think there is room for both for zombie fans. If you are only going to get one, you have a tough decision to make. Good luck with that. Maybe just buy the cheaper one.

As for other non-zombie loving gamers, this is a solid romp. Not a ton of Euro style strategy, but as for a simple run and blow things up you will get fun, tension, and a story in this box.

As this is one of my favorite games, I highly recommend it. The rules are fast and loose, but it works for this game (and this is something I normally hate).

I highly recommend this game and it will stay in my collection likely forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

While Last Night on Earth is a great zombie game, I can take nothing away from this game. I put my own "Walking Dead" crew together and then try to survive. Sometimes this is just a losing cause.

The game

Why is this in the Zombicide forum if you are talking about Last Night on Earth? Everything after this paragraph is about LNoE because you don't re-introduce Zombicide as the subject, therefore all the 'the game' and pronouns refer to LNoE. Replace something here with Zombicide and you'd be OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice overview, but I don't think you'd pass Jeffrey's English class.

Zombicide is a recent acquisition for me and I have really been enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
william4192 wrote:

The game

Why is this in the Zombicide forum if you are talking about Last Night on Earth? Everything after this paragraph is about LNoE because you don't re-introduce Zombicide as the subject, therefore all the 'the game' and pronouns refer to LNoE. Replace something here with Zombicide and you'd be OK.

Yeah, If I proof read these it would likely go a long way. Sorry my thoughts were not clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
Nice overview, but I don't think you'd pass Jeffrey's English class.

Zombicide is a recent acquisition for me and I have really been enjoying it.

Yeah, I don't spend too much time on proof reading. I do this for fun and enjoyment. I try to put my thoughts on paper and hope it helps someone. I don't get paid for this, so I try not to spend more time on it than my enjoyment level. I like having a record of my thoughts on games and watch it change and mold.

I have failed his class and am okay with it.

It is just super fun for some reason to play this game. My minis are all painted and it sucks me in. Simple, easy to play, lots going on. I was surprised that strategy plays a part in this game. It usually takes me a few times through a scenario to figure out what I need to be doing to beat it (and get some good rolls).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was a good review and didn't have any problem reading it. Its not the first time I've read one of your "purges". I think it has a good format and as a visual guy, I appreciate that you include pictures. Glad to hear you think this is a keeper. I've also been surprised at the amount of planning you need to engage in. If you don't try and anticipate zed movement, its going to end quickly and badly. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
william4192 wrote:

It is just super fun for some reason to play this game. My minis are all painted and it sucks me in. Simple, easy to play, lots going on. I was surprised that strategy plays a part in this game. It usually takes me a few times through a scenario to figure out what I need to be doing to beat it (and get some good rolls).

You'll be fine once he learns what a discourse connective is, I'm sure he'll re-grade you then.

Anyhow, question: I looked into this last year and was put-off by the "don't do the right thing, because that levels you up and the last thing we need is a better character right now" dilemma.

Is this still a poblem of the game as you play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:

Anyhow, question: I looked into this last year and was put-off by the "don't do the right thing, because that levels you up and the last thing we need is a better character right now" dilemma.

It is occasionally an issue in our games, too, but mostly it's not so much 'hold back' as 'move forward together'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
simon_j_barnes wrote:

It is occasionally an issue in our games, too, but mostly it's not so much 'hold back' as 'move forward together'.

Yes. I will intentionally hold off leveling up (by not killing zeds) to prevent the danger level from rising. This is either because I wouldn't get enough survivors to the next level before the next zombie spawn, or there are buildings I still need to open and I'm trying to ensure a smaller number of zeds spawn when opening it.

I actually like this as it introduces another element I have to plan for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
simon_j_barnes wrote:

This.

It's not so much a case of not killing Zombies to avoid levelling up, and more about distributing kills around the party to ensure no-one is left in blue whilst the danger level is orange.

(Though it is often wise to avoid levelling up before opening a building!)

Not killing Zombies is a bad strategy in the majority of scenarios, as you simply don't have the room to manoeuvre around them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
ok thanks for the replies all, I guess this is still not for us.. I guess I just wouldn't have the heart to even try and explain this mechanic thematically, which is important for us.

I read a suggestion which involved increasing the threat level based on noise rather than levelling. I'd love to know if that could work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
ok thanks for the replies all, I guess this is still not for us.. I guess I just wouldn't have the heart to even try and explain this mechanic thematically, which is important for us.

I read a suggestion which involved increasing the threat level based on noise rather than levelling. I'd love to know if that could work

Thematically you can explain it like this:

"The zombie figures on the board are just those that are actively trying to eat your brains, but, all around, there are others, just milling around, which haven't noticed you.

Yet.

The more you kill the more likely they are to notice you.

The game represents this using an increasing spawn level mechanic."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
william4192 wrote:

You'll be fine once he learns what a discourse connective is, I'm sure he'll re-grade you then.

It is true to some extent. But sort of. What it does is it makes you think twice about just blasting zombies. Sometimes, you need to run. Also, it helps you spread the blasting that needs to be done.

It actually becomes another important decision. Do you shoot with the best shot? Or do you let a "less good" shot take a turn to keep the number of zombies down? But if you do that, then you won't be able to take advantage of their special because they are blasting. What is more important? What do I do? Hurry the zombies are coming!

It is more interesting than a hindrance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eracer68 wrote:
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
simon_j_barnes wrote:

Yes. I will intentionally hold off leveling up (by not killing zeds) to prevent the danger level from rising. This is either because I wouldn't get enough survivors to the next level before the next zombie spawn, or there are buildings I still need to open and I'm trying to ensure a smaller number of zeds spawn when opening it.

I actually like this as it introduces another element I have to plan for.

Yes, running is a viable strategy at times. It keeps the game from being a "blast everything with dice" some games fall into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:

A great facet of this game is how easy you can customize it. The game can be really hard. Make leveling up something different.

To me, thematically, leveling up is not more zombies. But we are making so much noise that more zombies hear us. Or we just find a horde.

These are games. They are going to have game-y facets to it. I'm okay with that. It fits in the theme. I wouldn't like it if the zombies got harder to kill. That is too game-y for me. More zombies being added to the board does not mean different decisions to me. It is a timer to keep the game harder as it gets longer and to end it faster.

You don't have to use it if you don't want to. It will just make the game easier. That's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.