United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO eliminating a player is not easy and will often require to waste actions and resources that are not earning you VP's.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
IMHO eliminating a player is not easy and will often require to waste actions and resources that are not earning you VP's.

-M

I've only played a handful of times, but I agree. I've yet to see someone who went out of their way to try to finish off another player win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:

-M

Yes, almost always kneecapping the player once you've got all the VP you needed is preferable to destroying them outright. It's a lot more effort for marginal gain. Maybe it's different in the long war, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a house rule IF a player is
eliminated from the game.

I don't want a
player who has spent several hours of
playing to have to stop and just watch.

The player eliminated, however, can then
only finish in 2nd place at best. But they can still
play, enjoy, and have a chance at some success
for the time spent.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
malloc wrote:

-M

my table is a little soft I guess, but we tend to let players continue just because we want them to keep playing. We turn them into "meat shields" and they strive to do their best even when they know it's hopeless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:

I have a house rule IF a player is
eliminated from the game.

I don't want a
player who has spent several hours of
playing to have to stop and just watch.

The player eliminated, however, can then
only finish in 2nd place at best. But they can still
play, enjoy, and have a chance at some success
for the time spent.

cool

If he's eliminated, what? How does he keep playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I've had an actual Player Elimination was in an extremely barren galaxy, and the Nekro Virus was the one doing the eliminating [so that they still got techs out of it, in addition to precious planets].

Actually taking the actions needed completely stomp them out is almost never worth it though. It's hard to see situations where you've attacked them and haven't won in the ~2 rounds before they've managed to coble back a space dock, built ships, and come after you with a force of any significance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercy is a matter of meta-gaming. Is this player someone who will appreciate it?

Generally though it's not even worth attacking another player unless you gain a victory point from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max 8
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
I once eliminated a player in a 5 player game only because I attacked him for my SO and took a key planet I needed . He wanted revenge so bad that he wouldn't enter any peace talks. I ended up driving him right back to his HS in early mid game but he wouldn't negotiate peace to reasonable terms. So I thought I might as well take it before I have to worry about backstabbing throughout the rest of the game. I ended up owning half of the board and everybody saw me as the biggest threat due to the amount of production I got. Even though I wasn't even close to be in a leading position victory points wise I got all the attention and the leading player could sit back and watch the vultures picking me apart. I ended up getting attacked by 2 players just after the exhausting war I just came out of. There went my chance of winning the game.
I guess it really depends on who you are fighting but even if it was a reasonable player you draw to much attention to yourself owning 2/5 of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Leifr wrote:
Mercy is a matter of meta-gaming. Is this player someone who will appreciate it?

One thing worth considering is that a player may be so far behind they have no prospect of winning, yet resigning would be an implicit kingmaker move. In that situation, I'd far rather be blotted from the game and able to do something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Max8 wrote:
I once eliminated a player in a 5 player game only because I attacked him for my SO and took a key planet I needed . He wanted revenge so bad that he wouldn't enter any peace talks. I ended up driving him right back to his HS in early mid game but he wouldn't negotiate peace to reasonable terms. So I thought I might as well take it before I have to worry about backstabbing throughout the rest of the game. I ended up owning half of the board and everybody saw me as the biggest threat due to the amount of production I got. Even though I wasn't even close to be in a leading position victory points wise I got all the attention and the leading player could sit back and watch the vultures picking me apart. I ended up getting attacked by 2 players just after the exhausting war I just came out of. There went my chance of winning the game.
I guess it really depends on who you are fighting but even if it was a reasonable player you draw to much attention to yourself owning 2/5 of the board.

Yeah, the people I play with are vicious. It may cost me some resources to eliminate a player (and I've eliminated players in about 4 or 5 games, and gone on to win them every time) but it's less than the resources they would cost me as a permanent, game-long antagonist.

I also found I was able to "Rains of Castamere" that shit, and the next time a neighbor starts posturing to "take down the tyrant" I swing my doom fleet in their direction and ask them to look upon the ruin of their former neighbor. More often than not, the threat of elimination (and they know I'm capable at that point) is enough to get them to back down, and I can just sprint the objectives for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Halopoff
United States
California
flag msg tools
We've had multiple games where people have been wiped, and some were due to the fact that 18 planets were in their reach, or SO related, or simply due to the fact that the winner writes his name, race, date, and a few lines of trash talk on the board after each win. So the best wins on the board have big events attached to them: "Player A got wiped", "Took Jack and Jill's HS", "Made Player B quit."

Then again, our player group is composed of guys we've known since High School and before and everyone is competitive as hell. Bragging rights are just as important as VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd never do it - far more useful to drive them into the flank of another player than completely wipe them out. They may hold a grudge for the rest of the game, but if you're at the point where it's even a choice they should have been sufficiently crippled to no longer be a threat to you. In my experience most players in that situation will look to easier targets even if their rhetoric is entirely about taking you down. I don't mind them barking at me the whole game if their bite (or threat thereof) is helping to bleed another potential challenger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.