Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
The DYOQ handbook is a great extra. I am highly interested in making a few modules (is it ok to call them that?). I should think that you guys at Oversoul could actually be selling these online...but that's up to you. I'm happy to get your stuff for free laugh
Can you explain page one a bit further? Specifically the chances of getting a Great Key? I can't quite follow.
For example, I would like to create a Level III dungeon.

Also, could you make a dungeon so that every room is a special location? Thus, one would create a quest whereby each room has already been developed. Perhaps you could have 8 rooms, tackle them in order instead of rolling on them randomly (or not) and still have a Great Door lead to your unique location. I really enjoy dungeon design but then I don't have anyone to run through my creations (solo player after all) so it would be neat to do something special in each room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im working on an excel file right now to help you create and automate quests. It`s ready by now but i want to test the quest i designed for it to make sure it is playable. My intention is that it becomes a way of sharing quests with the community so you can make a quest, send to the excel to people and they can play it. Basically increasing the available amount of quests.

So far the only thing it does not support is Special Rooms but i plan to fix that as soon as i have some time. Probably before the end of next week i can have it online on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
gravitypool wrote:
Im working on an excel file right now to help you create and automate quests. It`s ready by now but i want to test the quest i designed for it to make sure it is playable. My intention is that it becomes a way of sharing quests with the community so you can make a quest, send to the excel to people and they can play it. Basically increasing the available amount of quests.

So far the only thing it does not support is Special Rooms but i plan to fix that as soon as i have some time. Probably before the end of next week i can have it online on BGG.

I eagerly look forward to that. Please let me/us know when it's up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
The DYOQ manual was written back when Bobby was creating quests, so there are some issues with the odds and stats side due to a lack of knowledge.
Up until version 3.5 you needed a Great key to enter a special room. So the odds of finding a great key had to be good enough for you to find one or else you couldn't complete the Quest.
However, now with Great Door traps, you could design a Quest where it is harder to get a Great Key, forcing players to face the trap. There are actually quite a few options available now, including multiple Great Doors and finding specific Great Keys. e.g. this is the Great key for the Cell block, This is the Great Key for the Throne Room. etc.

An example of how it should work:
You have a Quest that has a time span of 6/6.
That means there can be 12 location rolls.
Locations are a D10 Chart in which half the results are rooms with Chests
So we are down to 6 location rolls.
The Chests table only includes the result D4 Unlocked Chests
So we have the average of a D4 (2.5) multiplied by the number of locations(6) which gives us 15 Chests.
If the Treasure table is a D10 then the odds are good that we will get a Great Key (1.5 times) sometime during the Quest.

Levels of Dungeons are determined by the Monsters. We have just recently done a revamp of Monster stats for the new version. These have not been play tested a lot, and we are aware there are issues with leveling, quest difficulty and numbers of monsters. So we are still playing around with the balance.

It is possible to have all Special rooms, where everything is preconfigured and there is very little randomness.
This is because we have allowed for Quest Special rooms. Really there is no limit to what you can do in a Quest, so long as it is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.