Subject: Shipping cost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am afraid I have an emotional reluctance to adding about 50% to the price, for the shipping charges (sorry).

I don't mind if it takes 2 weeks to get to me if there were a cheaper way to ship. I wonder if it could qualify for the book rate since it is kind-of reading material. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the shipping costs seem pretty steep...maybe just use good old USPS for in state shipping? I recently received Hapsburg Eclipse and the charges for shipping were over $12US. The package started off as a FedEx shipment and then when it got to about 100 miles from me was handed off to the US Postal Service. I live in greater Cincinnati so it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere. Seems like a convoluted shipping process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you check all shipping options. The one that comes up first may be higher by a few bucks than the other choice. Unfortunately, that's how this software forces us to list things. That should change with the new website.

Unfortunately, we have to cover what FedEx or the USPS charges us, plus handling charges (our shipping department can't work for free).

Joshua Gottesman
Business Manager
Victory Point Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
skipper1947 wrote:
I am afraid I have an emotional reluctance to adding about 50% to the price, for the shipping charges (sorry).

I don't mind if it takes 2 weeks to get to me if there were a cheaper way to ship. I wonder if it could qualify for the book rate since it is kind-of reading material. cool

Yeah, I went to the VPG website this evening and was about to complete my order for this interesting-sounding game when I saw the shipping cost.

Sorry.

I understand that people have to be paid for the work they do, but if shipping is adding 50% to the game's price, then I'll wait a while for this one. Maybe after I have seen a few reviews.

I really wanted to place my order tonight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
Make sure you check all shipping options. The one that comes up first may be higher by a few bucks than the other choice. Unfortunately, that's how this software forces us to list things. That should change with the new website.

Unfortunately, we have to cover what FedEx or the USPS charges us, plus handling charges (our shipping department can't work for free).

Joshua Gottesman
Business Manager
Victory Point Games

Joshua, do orders containing multiple games save on shipping?

Living in Korea I have to wait up to 6 months for game deliveries. Ten bucks (to me at least) isn't a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps, instead of listing the (boxed version) at $23.99 and the shipping at $11.00, you could say "$34.99 with FREE shipping!".

Then I would be like "FREE shipping! Cool!", and my wife would be impressed by the great deal, and fail to notice the games I already have that I haven't played yet.

I suppose there are a couple flaws to this plan- the shipping cost isn't always the same (depending on destination), and if/when the game showed up in retail stores with a $23.99 price tag, some spoil-sport would ask about the discrepancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:

Joshua Gottesman
Business Manager
Victory Point Games

Joshua, do orders containing multiple games save on shipping?

Living in Korea I have to wait up to 6 months for game deliveries. Ten bucks (to me at least) isn't a big deal.

Yes, shipping cost is based on the size container that is needed and the actual weight. So, there are many times where the shipping cost doesn't change significantly between ordering 2 games and 4 games. It's always the 1st game that's going to have the highest marginal shipping cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered single games and I've ordered multiple games and my shipping costs have essentially remained the same...so, I usually try to wait on an order until I know I've got 2 or 3 games I want to purchase to save a bit on the shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wonder if this will be carried on Amazon, like some other VPG games have. I get free shipping from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
Yes, shipping cost is based on the size container that is needed and the actual weight. So, there are many times where the shipping cost doesn't change significantly between ordering 2 games and 4 games. It's always the 1st game that's going to have the highest marginal shipping cost.

MayorJim wrote:
I've ordered single games and I've ordered multiple games and my shipping costs have essentially remained the same...so, I usually try to wait on an order until I know I've got 2 or 3 games I want to purchase to save a bit on the shipping costs.

In fact I just ran a little test. The difference in shipping costs between 1 game and 4 games was under $2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS is able to order this through a distributor which takes shipping out of the equation. Takes longer to get it but saves much money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Shipping cost - now at Amazon.

Just checked and it is now on Amazon.com for $32.99, including shipping for Amazon Prime customers. The price (before shipping) on the VPG site is $27.99, so I guess the difference is a hidden shipping charge of $5.00, which I guess is better than $11.00 if ordered directly from VPG.

Anyhow, I ordered a copy (leaving 2 left there).

I didn't check the additional shipping charge for non-Prime customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
skipper1947 wrote:

Just checked and it is now on Amazon.com for $32.99, including shipping for Amazon Prime customers. The price (before shipping) on the VPG site is $27.99, so I guess the difference is a hidden shipping charge of $5.00, which I guess is better than $11.00 if ordered directly from VPG.

Anyhow, I ordered a copy (leaving 2 left there).

I didn't check the additional shipping charge for non-Prime customers.

You know, Skip, I am mighty impressed by your tenacity and moxy in uncovering this here criminal conspiracy to defraud the gaming public. However, before you make that call to the Attorney General, have you considered the fact Amazon is a retailing behemoth with over $17 billion in sales last year? Now I am no businessman, but it occurred to me Amazon's sales could get them a discount with the shipper. They are shipping a lot of stuff. That might give them some negotiation leverage. VPG sales are likely to be a little more modest. This might be a significant factor for the shipper in setting their rates with VPG. I'm just saying.

This got me thinking. Let say you sold me a game over eBay? What rate would you charge me? Would you give me free shipping? Or would you get in on this "hidden shipping charge" con? Do tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"it occurred to me Amazon's sales could get them a discount with the shipper. They are shipping a lot of stuff. That might give them some negotiation leverage. VPG sales are likely to be a little more modest. This might be a significant factor for the shipper in setting their rates with VPG."

David, that's EXACTLY how it works. We just had an arm-twisting conversation with FedEx over our sales volume and how much discount rate we can wrangle with it for our customers. I WISH we could get Amazon's rate...

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this make it to CSI?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a grad student who will happily pay VPG a few extra bucks rather than Amazon. I dunno if that's what it comes down to, but I always feel better about buying from small independents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:

You know, Skip, I am mighty impressed by your tenacity and moxy in uncovering this here criminal conspiracy to defraud the gaming public. However, before you make that call to the Attorney General, have you considered the fact Amazon is a retailing behemoth with over $17 billion in sales last year? Now I am no businessman, but it occurred to me Amazon's sales could get them a discount with the shipper. They are shipping a lot of stuff. That might give them some negotiation leverage. VPG sales are likely to be a little more modest. This might be a significant factor for the shipper in setting their rates with VPG. I'm just saying.

Geez... I was just trying to be helpful. I was not accusing VPG games of anything.

I assumed that anybody reading this would be aware there was an economy of scale at work, allowing Amazon to ship cheaper than VPG. I was certainly not suggesting that VPG was trying to rip anybody off! VPG gets paid for the game no matter if I buy direct from them or from Amazon. I don't see how me buying it from Amazon is somehow sinister.

PS: sarcasm does not usually win anybody over to your point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
I'm a grad student who will happily pay VPG a few extra bucks rather than Amazon. I dunno if that's what it comes down to, but I always feel better about buying from small independents.
Very much agree. Keeps the $$'s in the gaming community and with the very people who actually make the games. Every little bit of support matters with smaller businesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am confused I guess. Aren't we talking about the extra cost of shipping? How does paying more to the shipping company actually help VPG?

I agree this would be a good point if VPG makes less money by selling it through a third party such as Amazon. I admit, I had not thought of this possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, we DO make less money through Amazon, of course. They're a "store" and they take a store's cut as any other store would.

As for shipping... well, some of that does help keep our shipping staff employed, and since they're game developers the other part of the day, that's also good for getting your games made (as well as out the door).

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the info Alan. I guess I was ignorant and thoughtless. blush I will order all future games direct from VPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip, dude... we're trying to get our games out there so you have many choices, and you should do whatever you think best.

That said, we REALLY appreciate every game we sell direct, and those help tremendously to keep the doors open and new games comin' atcha!

Thanks, EVERYONE for helping The Little Game Company so much!!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.