Subject: all you really need are the dice. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can print off the cards you are missing. that is why im just getting the starter and 1 box of boosters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
troyboy81 wrote:
you can print off the cards you are missing. that is why im just getting the starter and 1 box of boosters.

unless you plan on playing tournaments; but I'ms ure that after a while you will be able to buy singles somewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
troyboy81 wrote:

If you're going that route, why to you need the dice either? MDM uses D6s, you can get D6s from any game store.

I don't proxy. Hell, I haven't even proxied in online versions of games (Meccg on GCCG comes to mind, you can buy cards/boosters/starters there to have a collection, I don't even use cards I don't "own" online). If I don't own X, then I don't use X, if I want to use X, I have to own the actual, official X, not some homebrew print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
troyboy81 wrote:

but with that mindset, you could make any game at home couldn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i print my magic cards. im not gonna pay 300 for one card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Proxies are good for play testing a team or deck concept. That way, if it doesn't work, you haven't wasted any money. If it works great, go buy cards to replace your proxies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesseOlivier wrote:
troyboy81 wrote:

but with that mindset, you could make any game at home couldn't you?

Some game components are harder to print-and-play than others. Making good-looking custom dice is harder than good-looking custom cards, especially if you use sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm able to trade for them, that'd be ideal. Otherwise, I'm going to feel no guilt in printing out the ultra rare cards for this. They're going to get plenty of my money as I accumulate a decent dice collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thats what im saying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tosch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know this is going to sound really bad. I would like ot preface with not everyone is perfect and even I have downloaded stuff I probably shouldn't have in the past.

That said, all you really need are blank DVDs. I have seen enough Disney movies, so I will just download the rest.

From what I understand, proxies are not illegal, but generally considered "for testing only". I am now a firm believer that if you want it, buy it. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if you you just buy enough dice and proxy the cards... I dont even care if you proxy everything. What I do care about is suggesting to everyone else that the cards (and their intended rarity) are meaningless as you can just print them.

I for one plan to use only cards I get and not proxy. To me collecting/drafting is going to be fun (for way less than MTG!)

I think all you had to do was re-word your post to "all "I" really need are the dice".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, sure. As mentioned, I'm going to do my best to try to complete a set by purchasing 2 booster cases and trading. But, at the risk of continuing to beat a dead horse, this IS the problem with the skewed random distribution. The difference with the movie comparison, is that movies are produced in (approximately) equal quantities. If I had to buy dozens of copies of Beauty and the Beast just to get a single copy of Little Mermaid, then you can forget me ever trying to get a copy of the Little Mermaid. Perhaps if the online or convention dealers have the Ultra Rares for $5 or so for just then card, then I'll go that route. But if they start going for $50+ dollars, then I'll just print some up for personal use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tosch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you really want a rare, didn't get it, couldn't trade for it, thats a reasonable reason to print it for play at home. Games are all about fun, but too many people get too serious in my opinion. As I stated I just don't like the print method being declared as the best way. It's what ever works for you. I also love drafting, which isn't replicatable with printed cards (woo I pulled the SR I printed :what.

Also I get movies arn't the best analogy, but I was trying to show that, while it is something that is done often, it shouldn't be told to people as the way they should do it.

Also, on another note, from all the things I have been told:
better rare/UR chance than most CCGs
expensive heroclix figures are $20 (about 3x cost of a booster)
A card being worth 10x booster cost would only be $5

With that I can't see the cards actually being worth much individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hisala Mander
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
troyboy81 wrote:

You should read this post:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15121844#15121844

It was used to defend the CCG model and there are workarounds to having too many of the same dice
Point number 2 practically suggests that this game is able to be proxied

Similarly stated in the third last paragraph
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15119979#15119979

So I guess try and get the cards that you need but if you are getting too many of the same dice...follow whatever you read from the above linked posts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
hisalamander wrote:
troyboy81 wrote:

You should read this post:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15121844#15121844

It was used to defend the CCG model and there are workarounds to having too many of the same dice
Point number 2 practically suggests that this game is able to be proxied

Similarly stated in the third last paragraph
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15119979#15119979

So I guess try and get the cards that you need but if you are getting too many of the same dice...follow whatever you read from the above linked posts

I especially like this part of the third to last paragraph:
Lordnameci wrote:
what you do in the privacy of your own homes with your dice and markers is not something I want to hear about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost my entire Magic draft cube is proxied. If you aren't playing in tournaments and just want to play casually, I don't see the problem. I also proxied my copy of Hanabi. But that was before it was easy to get. I would still want to buy at least some of the game to lend my support though. You know, like with the thousands of dollars I gave to Wizards of the Coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main issue for me about proxies is in relation to the overall board and card game industry. If i made proxies out of all my favorite games (eg Agricola, Pueto Rico ect) then im not supporting the hobbies on the whole. If they never saw sales, or low sales then companies would stop making games and would be left with only the mass market stuff.

So I think buy buying the product you are giving your thumbs up to wiz kids that you support them and are interested in future releases. Making proxies doesnt lend the same weight.

That all said i have no problems with making a porxy or two to test them out, see if they work for you and if so then go out and get some. You dont have to buy a booster box to do so, just use the secondary market or trade..

anywho that is how i have always viewd the issue. I encourage to follow a similar pattern as I would love to see this game succeed and unfortunately a print and play model will not aid that.. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, all you need is some different color 6-sided dice, since you could easily say "1 = this, 2 = that, etc" from each character card.

Heck, why am I not playing this game right now? Oh, right, because I'm lazy and hate paste ups.

I'm excited to play this game and can understand the arguments for using proxies, but I think there will be plenty of extra cards available in the secondary market such that you shouldn't have to go this route if you don't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bishop
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved this thread so much I made my own Shatterstar card for fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a similar note this games cards suffer the same issue as those in marvel legendary main set: same art used in all versions.

As long as we're on the subject I'd almost want to make a set of my own cards each card with different artwork.

Anyone else interested?

Great looking card Adam btw. (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So....just how many cards would that be?
From what I could gather there's 36 characters in the game with 4 cars each in the common to super rare range. I figure ill keep at least one of those as the same image used in the game. That leaves 108 images (3 of each hero or villain). Shouldn't be too difficult. Annoying, you betcha---but not too complex once a template is created in illustrator (because I hate dealing with text in photoshop.

Operation excelsior begins. And in case you're wondering I'm the same guy who posted the idea of a sidekick card deck as well.

This game screams custom once you start diving into its potential. Excited to see what develops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbwc wrote:
On a similar note this games cards suffer the same issue as those in marvel legendary main set: same art used in all versions.

As long as we're on the subject I'd almost want to make a set of my own cards each card with different artwork.

Anyone else interested?

Great looking card Adam btw. (:

The single artwork doesn't bother me as much in this as it did in Legendary. Because, while both have card with different effects and "rarities", you're only going to be using one card per hero in Dice Masters. Instead of all the cards for a hero in Legendary.

I suppose different artwork would make it easier to identify at a glace if some one is using the common or uncommon version of Wolverine. And more artwork is nice. But I wouldn't say this game "suffers" because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point. I'm such a visual person that it does bother me it's all the same. Suffer would be the wrong word from a gameplay standpoint then.

I'm just trying to keep myself busy until the game releases in two days. (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
JesseOlivier wrote:
I think the main issue for me about proxies is in relation to the overall board and card game industry. If i made proxies out of all my favorite games (eg Agricola, Pueto Rico ect) then im not supporting the hobbies on the whole. If they never saw sales, or low sales then companies would stop making games and would be left with only the mass market stuff.

So I think buy buying the product you are giving your thumbs up to wiz kids that you support them and are interested in future releases. Making proxies doesnt lend the same weight.

That all said i have no problems with making a porxy or two to test them out, see if they work for you and if so then go out and get some. You dont have to buy a booster box to do so, just use the secondary market or trade..

anywho that is how i have always viewd the issue. I encourage to follow a similar pattern as I would love to see this game succeed and unfortunately a print and play model will not aid that.. cool

Or...

Or it will help show that moving back to the good old days of blind purchases in the modern board game renaissance is not the way to boost the bottom line. There are those of us that still cringe from the memories boxes and tubs of useless Mage Knight, Mechwarrior, Magic, or whatever (not just the cost). There is a reason that outside of Magic, "blind distribution" is a dirty phrase. I also suspect this is why mainstream reviewers were given full sets.

The reality is, despite an initially attractive $1 price point, after one starter and one booster box ($75) there is a long chase for the rest of the set where 2/3 to 3/4 of all packs will be completely useless. This is the flip side of a four tier rarity distribution on packs that contain only two cards.

The game looks fresh. The business model is old and a questionable change from Quarriors. Market pressure suggests that the probable buy in for customers will be $75 and then print the rest. I point to Eye of Judgement for PS3 as the closest proxy to Dice Masters' business model. Ironically, I think the LCG model is not only in fashion, but a good fit if WK wanted to up the per customer buy in past the boxed sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
If anything, the $1 blind packs are a way to pull in non-gamers with a little meaningless impulse buy, then they see that the full set to let them play is only $15, and hopefully they buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
jhoratio wrote:
If anything, the $1 blind packs are a way to pull in non-gamers with a little meaningless impulse buy, then they see that the full set to let them play is only $15, and hopefully they buy.

I can see that argument. It essentially is a modified Free To Play type stance. To me, that is as distasteful as a board gamer as FtP is to me as a video gamer. I would rather just buy the game and not have to own 12 different common Green Goblins in order to finally get all types of Green Goblin (or just be happy only having 3/4 of the set). I also would rather just buy video games for $50 bucks rather than grind away for 100s of hours or micro purchase to the end of time to have all characters, units, or whatever. Such is the apparently untenable ground between dabbler and whale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.