Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I am going to use an analogy to explain myself that I hope will be fairly well known: Dungeon's & Dragon's Board Games.
The hero characters in those games are on heavy cardboard cards with some variety offered via the player cards (skills and so on). The degree to which they can level up is limited. I was wondering at the same thing for Dungeon Plungin'.
What if there were 4 charaters? You folks at Oversoul create a fighter, thief, cleric and a magic user at level I and the rest of us use them. You would also take the initiative to select their level two, three and four skills/spells. It does intro some limits for sure, I get that.
I have done that with my characters - at level I I knew what they would look like at level IV (I do not plan to take them beyond level four), for example.
I have concluded that you can get all the necessary hero character information onto a similarly sized card (about the size of a CD case). That's my first idea and I marry it to the second.
New analogy: Lord of the Rings Living Card Game. They use the "same" heavy cardboard for the threat counter AND it has the two dials so that the threat level can be easily managed up and down.
The Dungeon Plungin' character cards I am proposing could be the same as this. I have things down to four characteristics/stats (Strength, Agility, Composure and Life) because the remaining ones won't all fit well onto a dial card.
Strength has replaced Attack.
Agility has replaced Dex and Defend.
Composure has replaced WIT and RES.
The quests I have already designed compromise hero character stats more than just LIF. I have created monsters that attack using COMPOSURE (like a psionic attack, or magic) and when they inflict damage it comes similarly from a heroes composure. And so on. So a fighter ends up with less strength because damage has come from strength and not LIF.
It's a lot less comprehensive but all four would fit on a character "dial" card. You simply set each stat to its appropriate level and play away. So if you "buy" a level three quest you take your characters and set them to that level.

I am looking into some home-made dial card options now. There appear to be a couple of options. When I create one I will post some photos.

A couple of motivating factors in all of this.
1. You'd have something simpler because there would be less page turning and looking things up for each turn.
2. You'd have something that you could produce and charge a bit for. Put it in a nice box with the manuals and voila! A game you can sell for $40.
3. Newly designed and released quest modules could include the occasional new character.
4. No need to erase and cross out and mess up your character sheets. In fact, you can even look upon this ultimately as an environmental benefit if you like. Just turn the dials.

Probably a couple of other things I had in mind that I cannot remember at this time.
Fellows, these are just thoughts because I am so excited about your game. I hope you just see this post as a fan who thinks A LOT about your system. In fact, I looked at changing so many things to suit me better and almost every time come back with "That doesn't need to change. It's perfect!" The Time Span scale is brilliant, for example.
So that's a general spewing of my thoughts and I have lots more too but not sure if this will be received in the spirit it is intended so I will hold back a bit
I am either reading about or playing DP every day - so my deep gratitude goes to you.

edit: do you have tee-shirts

Edit: I think this belongs in variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I think my pedantic post above is a bit disjointed and overwhelming. Sorry. I will leave it in case someone mines some value from it.blush
Let me try this, can I upload my character sheet to the files section for further discussion? I need Oversoul's permission, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need permission if you are posting any of our files in full or part
or you are using our artwork.

So your character sheet would be fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.