Subject: Recommendations / inspiration needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eelco van den Top
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
Greetings boardgame geek friends!

Having recently moved countries (long story) I found myself without my regular gaming group, however recently I've met with some nice people. I'm used dealing with a fair amount of complexity having played lots of pen and paper rpgs and miniature wargames etc, but have less experience with board games. My new friends are a mixed bunch.

My gamey experience led to me bringing along 80% of the games (my gaming collection isn't exactly huge after burning off some excess before moving but hey) and explain and run stuff. And running games was a relatively new experience for me!

Either way, I am looking to invest in some more games to keep things fresh and that's where you can come in and give me some tips. I am looking for things that are interesting without being overly complex. I personally like games with a nice theme, be it fantasy or more historic rather than more abstract.

The group varies from 4-9 people (it's fine to split in two groups).

* Werewolves of miller's hollow did great as a warmup game.
* Everyone liked Pandemic, and most thought it is absolutely great.
* 7 Wonders was good for most, but a few thought it a bit complicated.
* Tobago was liked

That's about all we've managed to get through the last couple of times.

I've been thinking it would be good with a nice competitive (more backstabbing etc) kind of game and perhaps another good cooperative game. Or something that's downright hilarious... Things that add to the collection

My own wishlist contains some more complex games (Arkham horror anyone?) but I am certainly not going to bring that to the table anytime soon!

To give you an idea of what I like, my current wishlist contains the following games:

* Robinson Crusoe
* Mice & Mystics
* Dungeon Lords
* Citadels
* Small world
* Betrayal at the house on the Hill
* King of Tokyo

I'll list these too, but they seem too complex for the group for now:
* Game of Thrones 2nd ed.
* Eldritch Horror

I realise that my request for recommendations is somehwat vague, but hey, I'm really looking for some inspiration so feel free to point me in the way of something interesting.

Thank you for reading all of that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Jean
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Geeky Gimp reviews at geekygimp.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
If 7 Wonders seemed too complicated for some members of your group, then I would stay away from Robinson Crusoe right now. Mice and Mystics is heavy on theme, and really fun - and fairly easy to play. I think Dungeon Lords is more complex, though I've never played it. King of Tokyo is the only other game I've played on your list, and it was TONS of fun - I would suggest picking that up.

If you want a competitive, backstabbing game, try something with a hidden traitor like Saboteur (one of my favorites and VERY easy to teach) or Shadows Over Camelot. I own, but haven't played the latter, though I believe it is fairly easy to pick up.

If you want a quick filler, the Timeline games are good, as is Love Letter.

If you're into Lord of the Rings, the LoTR game is a good co-op.

Since your group liked Pandemic, Flash Point is a similar game with a different theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D
Lords of Waterdeep
In the Lab expansion for pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a funny game, Unexploded Cow always does the trick for me. It's not over-the-top, but between the artwork and cows blowing up, it just works. If you want something longer and a bit more complex, Tales of the Arabian Nights is a great one.

If your group enjoyed Pandemic, and money isn't a huge issue, seek out a copy of Defenders of the Realm. It plays similarly to Pandemic, but presents a bigger challenge, in my opinion. If the cost is a problem, Sentinels of the Multiverse is a favorite of mine. It works best if the people playing can appreciate the superhero theme though.

For backstabbing, Yedo is a really good one. Lords of Vegas also has a lot of competition for spaces on the board, and is a pretty easy game to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also second the fact that if 7 Wonders was complex for the group to Axe Robinson Crusoe and I would say the same for Dungeon Lords (though later on I would definitely look into some Vlaada Chvátil games such as Dungeon Petz and Galaxy Truckers as I love his design and heavy emphasis on good old fashioned fun) and Betrayl at House on the Hill.
Small World or Ticket to Ride would be right up your alley and Everyone should play King of Tokyo at some time or the other though I don't know how much staying power it has. Around this same level is a nice quick gem by the name of Bang:The Dice Game which is a great filler.
I would find out what genre your group specifically likes and look for the best gateway games to get started.
I would also second Lords of Waterdeep and possibly look into deck builders such as Dominion,Legendary Marvel or Thunderstone as the mechanic is very pick up and play. If you find you do enjoy this mechanic I highly recommend Puzzle Strike. (you can also play this one online at fantasystrike)
Good luck and Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group enjoys Shadows over Camelot, as well as 7 Wonders as a larger group game. You could always play the old favorite Citadels as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eelco van den Top
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
I’d like thank all of you above that took the time to write me some suggestions. I am getting a lot out of this thread, so ‘Thank you!’

I can begin with some good news! I was in the fortunate situation to sit down with the person that gave the negative feedback about 7 Wonders last weekend. He told me it was not so much the game itself he didn’t like but mostly that he was simply too tired at that particular point in the evening to absorb anything new. He is actually quite keen to have another stab at the game, possibly with the cities expansion. I am guessing that bodes well for the options available to us!

Either way I’ll see if I can get some more info about what kind of games they like, or lacking that, what kind of other interests they have so I can tailor the games a bit more to their liking.

I dropped in at the local games shop yesterday and snagged King of Tokyo (they had a 20% off offer…) and Mice and Mystics since my significant other had been asking after that game as of late. And both of them have at least been recommended once. I am a little bit worried about the replay value of King of Tokyo, but if it is something we break out occasionally for 30 minutes of fun that is completely fine. 

There’s a couple of games I’ll have to comment on:

• LotR coop game. I have it, I believe in dutch but if I remember correctly that shouldn’t matter too much.
• Dominion, I also have it, but in Dutch, this could be a bigger problem. Perhaps I can find someone to trade versions with (min is still in the plastic)
• Saboteur. I have played this game before on a game night and I agree, I should get hold of this game myself! I had forgotten it existed, so thank you for bringing it up again!
• I’ll have another look at Yedo, I believe the Japan theme will do quite well with at least two of the regular participants.
• Of course I will also have a look at all the other games you guys suggest. (especially the ones that came up more than once).

Once again, thank you for your time. And please do tell me if anything else comes to mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful with Yedo, as it is rather complex. Not sure if it's too much for your group.

As a coop, I'd like to recommend Legends of Andor. It looks like it is a hack'n slay fantasy game á la Mice and Mystics, but it actually isn't. In fact, killing every monster will lose you the game. Some people don't like that, but for me, it is what makes the game special.
The game looks very intimidating because it contains a LOT of material, but it isn't nearly as complex as it looks, about on par with Pandemic. Also, the game has a a fantastic built-in tutorial, so you learn the rules while playing along.
If language is a problem, be careful with it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
critically_hit wrote:
...He is actually quite keen to have another stab at the game, possibly with the cities expansion...

Great, that's good news!

critically_hit wrote:
...Dominion, I also have it, but in Dutch, this could be a bigger problem. Perhaps I can find someone to trade versions with (min is still in the plastic)

It's a great game, but I would really like you guys to have a look at Quarriors! which I really can recommend to you. It's however only for four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eelco van den Top
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
Just a quick note to say thank you, again, to all those that chipped in with recommendations.

I've spent some time with future misses critically_hit going over options and she seems even more intent on spending money on games than me! For her there’s this whole new world to be explored… And I guess that goes for me as well (shouldn't have shown her Tokaido collector's perhaps but well ) 

You know what they say about luck and love and games

Either way, my wishlist has become significantly bigger because of this thread and now includes almost all the games you guys have recommended. I’ll hopefully have some time in the weekend to update my collection, rate some games and list some favourites (which would probably make it easier to help me).

Either way, I’m off to a good start in boardgameland! Thank you again for helping (and if anything good pops up, let me know!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychael Rudd
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Suburbia is a great and surprisingly deep game that even the most casual gamers can pick up and play competitively. It's got a small, easy to understand rulebook, and the basics of gameplay can be explained easily enough to start playing in about 5-10 minutes. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.