Subject: Twig vs Cup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the purpose of these two different items? Can the wizard only play some cards with the twig, and some with the cup? if so, which are which?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Do they equip in the same slot? Same Symbol? same text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes you should read this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1114760/what-i-added-in-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You use your cup with your spells and the twig for the standard attack card (using range weapon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually still a bit unclear on what adds dice and what doesn't on a card by card basis per class. I wish there were keywords on all the cards telling you simply whether you can add the bonus from a weapon, a shield, a twig, a cup, etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
I'm actually still a bit unclear on what adds dice and what doesn't on a card by card basis per class. I wish there were keywords on all the cards telling you simply whether you can add the bonus from a weapon, a shield, a twig, a cup, etc..

I think it could have been clearer too, but you really have to rely on the hero deck cards. Look for clues such as in te top right corner, does it say range : weapon? If it does, use the "main hand" item (sword, twig, hammer, butter knife, etc.) If it has a fixed range (ie Range : 4) chances are you're casting a spell, and you'd then use the off hand item (cup, book, etc.).
For the Soldier, it's easier. If the card has the keyword SHIELD, then use the shield, if not, use you weapon.

Warrior type character are always easier to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennen Hilgendorf
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:

I think it could have been clearer too, but you really have to rely on the hero deck cards. Look for clues such as in te top right corner, does it say range : weapon? If it does, use the "main hand" item (sword, twig, hammer, butter knife, etc.) If it has a fixed range (ie Range : 4) chances are you're casting a spell, and you'd then use the off hand item (cup, book, etc.).
For the Soldier, it's easier. If the card has the keyword SHIELD, then use the shield, if not, use you weapon.

This seems to directly contradict the Extended Gameplay where there are several times where the Apprentice gets Fate Dice from both the Enchanted Twig and the Lucky Cup. I'm feeling pretty confused about this one, especially since it isn't mentioned in the rule book at all.

Granted, when they do Fingers of Ia in the Extended Gameplay they also don't consume Ongoing Effects to activate it, so maybe they're playing an earlier version of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the easiest key is to look at the range on the card,... if it says "Range: weapon" then you are using the primary item,... if it says "Range: X" then you are casing a spell and are using your book, or cup, etc.

For the Soldier,.. if the card has the keyword SHIELD on it,... they you are using the shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilgendwarf wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:

This seems to directly contradict the Extended Gameplay where there are several times where the Apprentice gets Fate Dice from both the Enchanted Twig and the Lucky Cup. I'm feeling pretty confused about this one, especially since it isn't mentioned in the rule book at all.

Granted, when they do Fingers of Ia in the Extended Gameplay they also don't consume Ongoing Effects to activate it, so maybe they're playing an earlier version of the rules.

Earlier version of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
Hilgendwarf wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:

Yeah. That is one of the issues with the videos. They're still very helpful though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:
Hilgendwarf wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:

Yeah. That is one of the issues with the videos. They're still very helpful though.

Those videos seem littered with errors... they should really go through and add annotations to them (like I do when my videos have mistakes) so that they're not so misleading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endevor and Remi, thanks a lot for the answers! That makes it much clearer now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennen Hilgendorf
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:
Hilgendwarf wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:

Those videos seem littered with errors... they should really go through and add annotations to them (like I do when my videos have mistakes) so that they're not so misleading...

Either that or it could help to do another gameplay video with the actual release components and ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennen Hilgendorf
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a quick follow-up question to this. With an item like the Staff (the green item that takes up both the primary and secondary weapon slot) you would use the +2D10 and +2FD for all actions, both attack and spells, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilgendwarf wrote:
rahdo wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:
Hilgendwarf wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:

Either that or it could help to do another gameplay video with the actual release components and ruleset.

Yup, I had actually planned on doing exactly that today - I originally figured 4 days solid playing/reading rules would be enough to get everything straight, but turns out... it's not Still waiting on answers from Brian for several core vaguaries of the rules, so I can't in good conscience do a video yet.

At this rate, I think I might be able to get a video done next week sometime...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennen Hilgendorf
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate all of the work you're putting in to doing this run through well. I think it's gonna be a big help. Thanks Richard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilgendwarf wrote:
I have a quick follow-up question to this. With an item like the Staff (the green item that takes up both the primary and secondary weapon slot) you would use the +2D10 and +2FD for all actions, both attack and spells, correct?

Your reasoning makes sense, but not having seen the card, I'll leave it to the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilgendwarf wrote:

Yes,... It works for both,....

FYI right now only the basic "Attack" (which has two copies in the basic Apprentice deck) utilizes bonuses from the twig (or whatever you have equipped in the primary weapon slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.