Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The permanent card "Observation Kit" reads:
"When drawing cards, take one extra, choose one to keep and put back the others."

A good card. My opinion is that the spirit of the rule is: that when you hit the light green, orange, or purple decks--as a result of claiming a board space--then you get to look at one extra card.

Fine.

By the letter of the rule, though, this permits one additional behavior. When you score an objective card, you get to blind draw the top objective card as a replacement. So by the letter of the rules, if you have the "Observation Kit," you get to view two objective cards and keep one, instead of blind draw.

The game is already swingy enough, and the objective cards are pretty key. What happened in my most recent play was that this combination snowballed into a problem. It broke the game, and quick. The player who had the Observation Kit hit the objective deck really hard, and scored them left and right (always able to get twice the chance of getting an easy-to-score one after each score...). It was--for me on the losing end of this massacre--very unpleasant. Robbed all the Fun, for sure.

Whatever the official ruling ends up on this, my house rule is going to be that the above interpretation violates the spirit of the rule (which should involve the moment of drawing a card at the end-of-turn, as a result of claiming a new board space).

Drawing an extra objective card after just scoring one...is too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game, we played without the rule, which allows you to draw a new objective card after you score one. After several games, I think it is better with this way. There is more fight for purple regions, which are nearly worthless in the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McGreevy
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
In our first game, we played without the rule, which allows you to draw a new objective card after you score one. After several games, I think it is better with this way. There is more fight for purple regions, which are nearly worthless in the original game.

You don't think to draw three objective cards and pick one is a good move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
saccenti wrote:
Drawing an extra objective card after just scoring one...is too much.

I agree. I played the game for the first time today and got this card early. We followed the text and I drew extra objective cards, but it did feel too strong. An official clarification would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Name Faker
msg tools
I have quite a few additional questions regarding "Observation Kit"

1. Do the cards stack? If you have both do you draw two extra cards?

2. Does "When drawing cards" apply to ALL card draw? Even when replacing an objective card after completing one?

3. Does "choose one to keep and put back the others." override the usual behaviour of drawing cards into your hand first before returning cards?

Which of these is correct?
Choosing to draw 3 after moving. While having a Observation Kit
A. Draw 4 cards, take them into your hand, return 3
B. Draw 4 cards, return 3. Do not return any cards already in hand.
C. Draw 2 cards, return 1. Draw 2 additional cards into your hand, return 2.

I'm hoping for an official answer for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.