Subject: Super Picky Wife, Please Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Merkley

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Help! I love all types of games, including TTR, Dominion, Agricola, CoB, KoT, Bohnanza, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Desert, Battle Line, Hey, That's my Fish. My wife will play these games (except Agricola), but is not fond of anything that is too "complex" or has complicated rules. I am trying to find a few games for us to play together. I am looking to put an order into CSI. Some of the games I have been eyeing are Babel, Jaipur (OOS), Takenoko, Russian Railroads, Stone Age (OOS), and Suburbia, and Lost Cities.

I would love to know if these would seem like a good fit, and even better, any further suggestions. I appreciate all comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is to get her poking around BGG, watching The Dice Tower, Rhado's Runthroughs, etc. on YouTube, and let her figure out what she would like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about Russian Railroads, but I'd think any of the would go over well. Jaipur would do particularly well. It's really light, though. I'd go for Stone Age and Suburbia. They're pretty simple in but have a good amount of depth and strategy to them. They play well at two, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Merkley

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
She already thinks I am too much a Geek for using as much time as I do playing, researching, about board games. I couldn't dream of her getting onto a gaming website. unfortunately

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your wife does not like really mean "take that" type of confrontation, you should pass on Babel.

Take a look at Targi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sounds less picky than mine, for instance there is little chance she'd ever go for CoB. We enjoy Suburbia and Lost Cities.

kdwaterski wrote:
She already thinks I am too much a Geek for using as much time as I do playing, researching, about board games. I couldn't dream of her getting onto a gaming website. unfortunately

I'm with you on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdwaterski wrote:

Once you narrow down the choices to three find good reviews (with pictures) and a video you like and sit down with her to go over them. I understand that she may feel this is a waste of time, but remind her that you are doing it so you don't have to waste money buying all three trying to guess what she wants. The real problem here is that she has set some subjective standard of complexity that will be very hard for her to convey to you and even more telephone errors will happen when you try to relay that concept to us. So there really is no other choice: If she wants you to get games she's interested in playing, then she will have to take some small part in the purchase process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko is great. She will love it for the components too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur. Played for the first time and fell in love. Simple and fun enough to keep on playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kdwaterski wrote:
Help! I love all types of games, including TTR, Dominion, Agricola, CoB, KoT, Bohnanza, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Desert, Battle Line, Hey, That's my Fish. My wife will play these games (except Agricola), but is not fond of anything that is too "complex" or has complicated rules. I am trying to find a few games for us to play together.

Had to go back and make sure. I bolded the relevant words your message and mine

IF your wife is interested in finding a game to play together, then by all means get her browsing on BGG, or even better in a store and let her pick something she's interested in. But if she's not looking for a game, then this advice is worthless.

And it sounds like it's you looking for something. So ask yourself, what is about gaming that she might enjoy? Topic? Time together? Competition? Then I think you're on the right track to consider playing time, complexity etc.

But bottom line, you really need to find a game that SHE is interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao seems a good fit.
Stone Age, or maybe, Egizia.
Seasons seems to be a hit for the less deep lookers.

or start her along the inevitable path towards: Antiquity ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Merkley

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks for responses so far. Jaipur is getting harder to come buy, cheapest I can find is 26

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CSI has one copy of Asara left. This is one I think would work well.

Village is also one I would recommend.

Also Le Fantome de l'opera.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife likes Aton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lagasse
United States
Derry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Suburbia, my fiance and I have been playing that, one of our favorites. The expansion is great too and easy enough to throw in on the first play through.

I've also found Escape: The Curse of the Temple is a pretty good intro game too, easy to learn and quick to play. Most of the time I have this out, it gets requested to play at least a second time. Hive Pocket (or any edition of Hive) is great for ten minutes like Escape but can have great strategy. Tiles stay mess free and are heavy enough to stay in place, great while you have a free minute.

King of Tokyo is good for a simple game, but I find it works better with more than two players. Two players is pretty workable but more exciting with 3. Carcassonne runs kind of like this as well, but more relaxed. I found this to be a good intro.

These are a bit more casual but I've also found Race for the Galaxy is great, but you have to know the iconography first and be able to explain turns easily. After a game or two it comes together. I find with the Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm this gives a new player something to focus on and helps with learning.

Sorry to rant but I also agree with others, something it's just something about the mechanic or theme. I recently got Mice and Mystics and have played through the first scenario solo a couple times. Now I know the rules, and I haven't read any story so my girlfriend and I will both be surprised when we play it fresh. I mention it, because this is a genre of game she may not be normally enthused about but the theme of the game really grabbed her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought Tokaido for 3 reasons: It's beautiful, it's easy, and my wife said she would play it. And she does!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Merkley

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I decided on a few...Takenoko, Suburbia, Babel, Flash point, Russian Railroads (I can dream, right)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same issues. My wife is pretty picky about what she likes and doesn't like things too complex.

I started with tabletop. She enjoys watching them with me. It also helps bring dialogue about games.

I also put on rahdo in the background and watch, so she pays it some attention while we do other things. Once after watching the run throughs for Morels I whipped the game out and we played it. Rahdo did my rules explanations!

Just be ready for compromises, a lot. But I would much rather play a sedate game of TTR where we don't get confrontational than watch TV. It's all about the interaction and doing things together.

I have a lot of stuff on deck, but we have had fun with

Agricola all creatures great and small
Morels is great
zooloretto
Ticket to ride and many maps.
Survive
PiƱata
Titanic

Good luck! Just take your time and keep it fun! Remember your goals, not just finding another game partner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My partner is also picky ..

she likes Finca (I've never beaten her) and Jaipur but looked a bit confused when i was explaining Stone Age to her so we never got to play it. I'll have to try Stone Age with her again one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't give up hope on Russian Railroads. My wife doesn't like complex game either and she likes it. It isn't that hard to learn.

About Suburbia, it didn't work super well with us. There is lot to keep track of near the end of the game which give the game some extra weight. It felt a little dry to us as well.

Takenoko is great, my wife loves it. Note that it isn't a very deep game. There is not much to think about each turn. It's still fun to play for what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Keil
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky, my wife loves all games. Her favorite is Caverna. I would put in a vote for Takenoko though. That's a game i can get anyone to play, even my mother when she visits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves Takenoko and Jaipur. We've only played Suburbia once so she hasn't picked up the concept quite yet. Downfall of Pompeii and Indigo are other favorites of ours.

I picked up Gravwell a couple of weeks ago, and I cannot recommend this game enough. Very easy to teach and some great strategy and replayability. After the first play my wife quickly said let's play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
-1 for village certainly. People here seem to Forget how "weird" these games are compared to scrabble.

I'd suggest tokiado. It's very pretty, very nice. A little linear (as you're all literally following a line) but in this case that's a plus point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Revolver is pretty straight forward to play with good theme. Who doesn't like westerns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteTruss14 wrote:
Revolver is pretty straight forward to play with good theme. Who doesn't like westerns?
In stereotype land... and given that we're talking an enthusiastic man trying to make his largely disinterested but tolerant wife play games with him, that's exactly where we are... women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.